TuneECU for 990 - got tunes?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by jetpoweredmonkey, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Duhfactor

Duhfactor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have one, but I've modified it. I am running the Shootis map, but I've opened the secondary butterflies to 25% at idle, gradually increasing them as RPM's and throttle opening increases. I've also changed the FL switch to "0" from 2000 RPM on up as suggested. If you want to try it, PM me and I'll send it to you.

Thanks,

~D
  2. Mr_Snips

Mr_Snips Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer:
    What would be a good tune for just a straight through wings exhaust up in yucca valley ca?
  3. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    Which bike?
  4. Mr_Snips

Mr_Snips Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer:
    2011 990 adventure r
  5. pilacs

pilacs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is there anyone around the Orlando,FL area can install a map for me on my 07ADV ?
    I do have the cable,but no idea how to work with it.
    Ken Wheeler did a custom map on it now she runs perfect,but my light come on at 100 miles.
    I know it can be better than that. 26,000 miles on the bike 2to1 Akra pipe sas removed.
    Thanks in advance.
  6. Imachimper

Imachimper Shunpiker Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I completed the exact same process today to my 2010 Adv ABS with the exception of the new map. I put the KM601US1102002Map.hex OEM 2011-2012 R map in.

At first, after the 15 min idle the ABS light stayed on, and I thought "crap the new map turned off my ABS".

So I hopped on and headed out the driveway and gave it some strong back brake. After a nice 3 foot skid the ABS light went out and then returned back to normal (ABS working). :clap

I noticed a stronger pull in first and second, but it has been a few weeks since I have been out, so who knows. It can still lift the front end up in the air with my fat ass on it.:lol3

More testing soon.
  7. Reese

Reese Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's a good feeling when you don't screw it up.

That's the way my ABS light has always worked - and when I say always I mean the last two weeks so take that for what it's worth. The light is solid red for the first 20 feet or so of every ride.

Can somebody confirm that my TPS voltage is correct? 0.79V while cold and 0.67V when warm. I'm still not sure that it shouldn't be in the 0.66V neighborhood when cold.
  8. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    I believe 0.5 - 0.6V when warm is the correct. Cheers.
  9. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    The two bikes I've worked on (mine with 4500km) and another with 30000km had .66 and .67 volts when warm respectively, both run perfectly, not sure I'd bother adjusting it as doesn't seem that critical. I think .65 is the specs upper limit for the fuel injected 990 anyway, so it's pretty close!
  10. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine does that too, couldn't get it closer to 0,5 - 0,6 as per manual and making it run good.

runs very nice now, a bit crisp, albeit the different TPS values
  11. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    On yours, what year and setup?
  12. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    Mine 2011, other 2009, both have the same engine with Akros. 2011 R map loaded on both.
  13. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks, i have an 07 so its different.
  14. Reese

Reese Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That confirms it, thanks. I'm not touching a thing until I can give it a proper test ride.
  15. Doktor O.

Doktor O. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey folks, I read how to sync the carbs on the 950 in the OC HOW (pretty straight forward just like any other bike I have ever done) but my question is on my 990 when I sync the throttle bodies will the bike adjust the idle on it's own or will I have to do some computer magic?

Thanks in advance! :freaky
  16. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    Try the Power-Trippktm990advAKRA
  17. Duhfactor

Duhfactor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    O.K. folks,

Just an update related to the modified shootis map I installed on my 07' with akro's. After riding it around town, the bottom end seems to be getting better (more smooth), but the mid range is not going to work for me. It's just too weak compared to the standard akro map. I have found that it feels lean from about 3000-4500 RPM, really having a pause or delay until it hits 4500-5000 RPM, then the fueling, in combination with my 200 throttle tube, and she wants to throw me off the back.....

I'm going to change the secondary throttles like my modified shootis map on a regular 07' akro map for starters. I think opening up the secondaries must lean the fueling down just a bit, although it seems odd that changing those would make that much of a difference. I did have some deceleration popping with this map compared to the akro map too.

To be continued this weekend..........
  18. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Opening the secondaries makes perfect since because that slows down the fuel charge velocities. Irregardless of the fact of the A/F ratio it still is getting less of a charge in there(think like a small supercharger with them closed more). The engine is going to create x vacuum at any RPM. If you close the secondaries you increase velocity because x vacuum has to go thru a smaller area. This is how a ported cylinder head can sometimes only make another 2 hp. Big holes look nice but can sometimes hurt true performance.
  19. Duhfactor

Duhfactor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a good point........ One question, where did you (Tahoeacr) lean out the low RPM deceleration fuel at? Did you decrease the fuel on the F table low RPM low throttle? Or Did you do it on the L-table? It seems to me that decreasing the fuel on the L table (low map, lower TPS, low RPM) would be a good place to do it, since once one decreases the throttle in deceleration, map goes low, and TPS is low........ I'm rambling now.....
  20. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:

I have the same question. I got the little Vgate ELM327 adapter recently, plugged it into the the bike half of the TuneECU cable and it powered up with the bike and paired with my Android phone just fine. However Torque Pro doesn't show anything in the displays even though it says it is connected to the Vgate ELM327 adapter. Power-Tripp did you ever get this to work on a 990?

If not I guess it was not a huge investment anyway. :huh