Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Aanarchy

Aanarchy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, no kidding. Thank you Garmin. :becca
  2. dvmvm

dvmvm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think this is referred to: fw4.7: "Improved map performance in densely-populated urban areas."
    This was improved after complaints of mainly European users who suffered from huge map drawing times. European cities tend to be more compact and the larger ones often have separate buildings drawn (2D with shades, not 3D) in City Navigator maps instead of "building areas". After hard reset the drawing time was a few seconds, but this grew over some weeks into 1 minute or more. Navigation in these cities was sometimes not possibe without long map freeze times. Map drawing time is split into two parts: drawing the map and printing street names, each took half the time.
    From 4.7 this bug is fixed; map drawing time doen't grow over time anymore and the street printing time is now much less than the map drawing time. Maybe Garmin searches the database now only for the names of the larger streets on the screen.

Questions:
    1) Do you see the street names when you zoom-in more and/or pan the map?
    2) Did you enable the street names (map|menu|advanced|zoom levels)?
    3) Is the text size small enough (map|menu|advanced|text size)?
  3. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    but if we wait for garmin the montana would still be under development,it aint a nuvi
  4. Chip Stevens

Chip Stevens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have loaded three maps from GPS depot on to an SD card. I then loaded them into BC The maps show up just fine in BC and on the 650t. The problem is when I go to the select map page in the GPSr all 3 maps show up as one map. This means I can't disable or enable the individual maps. JaVaWa device manager shows one file with 3 maps in it. How do I go about getting the maps loaded on the SD card as 3 files. I'm using a Mac. chip
  5. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Are all three maps in one .img file? Can you not download them from GPSDepot as separate files?
  6. Chip Stevens

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your responce. The maps are 3 different files. I can't figure why they end up as one file. I can down load them each to a different SD card and they work but not all to one card as three different files. It is probibly a setting in OS 10 that I'm not understanding. chip
  7. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:

How are you installing the maps to your Montana?

Are you using a process similar to these?
  8. Chip Stevens

Oddometer:
    1) From the GPS file depot I selected a map amd downloaded it to the desktop
    2) It downloaded as a compressed file. I clicked on the downloaded file and safari expanded it. Now I have an icon on the screen that has the Garmin
    Mapinstall icon superimposed over it. I click on the icon and a map manager window pops up and asks if I want to instal in this case Navada topo. I said install. The map manager now shows it. 3) I open BC all the maps show as individual maps in BC. 4) I used Mapinstall with the SD card in the SD slot on the Mac to load the maps onto the SD card. 5) I repeat this process for each map. 6) I load the card into the GPSr. The maps show up on the select map page with all the maps I have on the SD card on one line. I can enable or disable the whole set of maps on the card but not individual maps within the card. chip
  9. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perfectly detailed response, thank you!

Now can you please download JaVaWa Device Manager for Mac, and run it with your GPSr connected?

Select the Manage Maps option for your uSD card, and take a screenshot similar to the images here, showing individual map ID information.

If you sent each map, one after the next, in the same session, I suspect perhaps MapInstall did not properly clear the previous map out, and consequently sent the maps all as one.

BTW, which version BaseCamp for MAC, and which version MapInstall on your Mac?
  10. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or try renaming each map after you load it to the uSD, before loading the next one.
  11. Chip Stevens

Oddometer:
    I have JaVaWa Device Manager. I will have to figure out how to post a screen shot. I can tell you that it shows 1 file named gmapsupp.img on the card and it contains the three maps. I have some things I need to get to so I won't get back to this for a few hours. chip
  12. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    There's your problem. If you have one file called gmapsupp.img, then all the maps are in one file. I think you may be using an old version of MapInstall, if it's not giving the maps individual names. Or use 250senuf's advice and send the maps one at a time, renaming them once they are on the gps or uSD card.
  13. Chip Stevens

Oddometer:
    I give that a try. Thanks guys. I'll let you know How it goes when I can get back to it. chip
  14. Chip Stevens

Oddometer:
    I think I have a work around for my problem. I tried 250Senuf idea. I downloaded the 1st map then went in to the SD card Garmin folder and renamed the file. Then I down loaded the 2ed file went to look in the Garmin folder and only found one file with two maps in it. After cogitating on it for a few hours I came to the conclusion that the problem was the way Garmin's Mapinstaller interfaces with the SD card. Here is how I handled it. 1) use Mapinstaller to put the 1st map on the SD card. 2) opened
    the SD card go into the Garmin folder and take the file
    gmapsupp.img and drage to the desk top which puts a copy on the desk top then delete the file from the SD card. 3) Down load the 2ed map the same way.
    when I drug it to the desk top a window popped up saying that I already had a file of that name and what did I want to do with the file. I chose to keep both. The lion named the second file gmapsupp2.img when it copied it to the desk top.
    4) I then delegated the 2ed file from the SD card. 5) I then closed Mapinstall
    6) I then drug the two files into the Garmin folder in the SD card 7) I then put the SD card into the 650t. The maps were now in two different files that can be enabled or disabled at will. chip
  15. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Far more complicated than necessary. All you need to do is rename gmapsupp.img to map1.img or topo west.img or whatever, then send the second map, repeat the renaming, and do it as often as necessary.

No need to move the file back to your computer unless you want to back it up, which is not a bad idea. But renaming the file is easily done while it's on the uSD card.
  16. Chip Stevens

Oddometer:
    I did exactly that! but when I downloaded the next map the two maps showed up in the same file named gmapsupp.img I had changed it to aztopo.img. One time I even shut down the computer and rebooted. aztopo.img was there in the garmin folder. I then downloaded the next map and no aztopo.img file in the garmin folder just a gmapsupp.img file with both maps in it. I don't understand why it didn't work the way you recommended. chip
  17. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    This adds weight to a friend of mine's habit of referring to computers as "confusers". :D
  18. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Golden Rule with computers is "Garbage In, Garbage Out".

I am still waiting for Chip to post the version of BaseCamp and MapInstall being used.
  19. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Same here. The latest version of those apps work reasonably well. For me, anyway.
  20. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I for one think that's an improvement.