suspension issues

Discussion in 'Australia' started by B1, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    AMENDED POST

please note: this thread began over a disagreement on what work was specified on a suspension setup. the thread started due to a perceived lack of response from the suspension shop concerned.

eventually the matter was fully resolved and it turns out that an unexpected staff shortage led to various issues. even in the middle of the issue i recognised that the vast majority of previous customers had been very happy with their work, and continue to acknowledge that fact.
  2. poppy

poppy Slow and Steady

Oddometer:
    That sounds a bit ordinary Barry. Especially being charged extra after being told it was included and there lead time for repairs. Pretty fucked actually.

I had my 510 done by Paul about 6 years ago and i could not fault his service. He even came in on a saturday so i could pick up my bike and then waited around for an hr while i took it out into the forest to test ride it to see what adjustments i wanted. He followed that up by calling me about a month later to see how it was going and was i happy.

Maybe all the good feedback has made them to busy and they have lost that more personal type customer service and quality workmanship that was there.

Doesn't take to long for bad customer service and workmanship to get around before businesses start going backwards. Pretty hard to survive on past reputations.
  3. ditchwitch650

ditchwitch650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    hope you get it sorted B1 suspension issues are the pits effecting your riding confidence and enjoyment,

having had 4 bike done by paul I have seen both good and bad result with 2 bikes being very good straight up, 1 going back for adjustmentsbut ended up good, and 1 bad.

Like poppy I had found he offered good service with him calling me 2 or 3 weeks afterwards to see if there was any problems or issues. I did find that his prices varied and that I wasn't clearly told what was included or being done until questioning afterwards this is when I found Paul become hard to deal with / arrogant and wouldn't return calls etc

my last was 2004 when he's opened his beerwah shop started to get busy and had a shop front to worry about. forks went back 3 times and shock twice, rear come up ok front was always bad and I got sick of traveling there and dealing with him
    bike:
    XR650R to be set up for a Mid range tank and enduro style riding, single track, hill climbs, wooboys etc, but would be used a little to commute

Forks:
    They were never good, ended up finding out the springs he installed were to light for me .49 They heaviest off the shelf items available at the time, but custom springs were available for around 1/3 extra I was never told any of this!!! So to compensate for the springs being to light he upped the valving and the bike was always harsh deflecting of sharp edges rocks etc and punching out of rutts making hill climbs and tight single track very unenjoyable to ride he did make adjustment making it better the first off but never good I was always unhappy with it and couldn't be bothered with pulling them out and going back down there to drop off and pick back up in a few days times

Shock:
    also had the heaviest spring available fitted was slightly under rated for me, wasn't aware of this at the time either, and the bike was unbalanced front to rear, it went back twice for adjustments, was ok in the end compared to the front anyways

I truly regret having my XR650r set up there!

hard to compare to my current XR650R as it has a crf front end and hybrid cr500 shock,

Dave @ Suspension Matters has set it up for me most of the work was done in front of me as I waited he asked a lot of questions and offer different options, It simply is the best handling bike for me I have ever ridden he has done and awesome job and at around to same price as MPE

just my 2c worth
  4. Dale950

Dale950 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like someone stuffed up on the quote B1 , $400 for that work sounds a bit cheap ? There's approx $ 400 in just the two heavier springs front & rear from my experience then you have the oil etc & labour for pulling the forks & shock . $600 sounds about right to me .
  5. ECKS-Man

ECKS-Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    Clear communication is very important with things like this. Had my suspension done by Jay Foreman recently and it is awesome. That said, my instructions were extensive and very clear - in writing. His price actually came in cheaper than his initial quote!

I also think $400 is pretty cheap, but not out of the question for common bikes with minor adjustments.
  6. Dunerider3806

Dunerider3806 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have heard they are the new Husky dealers.
  7. Young-Gun

Young-Gun KTM Tragic

Oddometer:
    Getting a more expensive job done than quoted would be hard to swallow but acceptable if the end result was brilliant... sorry to hear you lucked out Barry :cry

I went on a ride a few weeks ago where Dave from Suspension Matters couldn't have been more helpful and friendly about the basics and on speaking to a few people that day, apparently MPE was slightly cheaper.. however when I get my suspension looked at, I dare say Dave will be my first choice now.

That aside, Dave rides a lot, and my lordy he's good :deal
  8. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had my DRZ suspension done by Race Tech after reading good things about their familiarity with this bike.

I wrote what I wanted after discussing the project with Terry Hay on the phone. I wanted heavier springs and a revalve to cope with 28L fuel and 20 Kg of luggage and I wanted a plush ride. I freighted the suspension off and it was returned in good time at the price discussed.

WhatiI got was a hard suspension with little compliance for small bumps , but fine at speed/small jumps. Not quite right; but close.

Now my options were to call Terry and negotiate a revalve job, which I am sure he could/would do. Freight and the possibility that it would still not be as I wanted made me turn to the local suspsension tuner. This would not be anyones fault as I couldn't ride it at the Race Tech workshop to evaluate it before shipping it back (the tyranny of rural living).

So I spent $400 more locally and now I have really nice predictable handling from my DRZ. I am happy even though I spent close on $1300 all up.
    I look at it as money invested in safety and comfort.

I do think B1 has a case if he had a written job specification/quote and the workshop unilaterally decided to exceed that without prior consultation. This happens when the front office does not communicate with the workshop at time of work delegation, or if the workshop is too arrogant to consult the customer, thus letting the front office staff deal with the flak. It sounds to me that intra- office communication is lacking at that facility.

2c spent
  9. Chop Chop

Chop Chop Long timer

Oddometer:
    One trend I have noticed is there seems to be more dissatisfaction since they moved to their new premises from Beerwah. Just wondering if the stress of taking on a new premise and becoming a dealer at the same time is having an impact. Not justifying, just an observation and curiosity.

I was charged 20% more than quoted on my first dealings with MPE, but was not unhappy about it as it was explained, but I wish I had the opportunity to comment first, but was not informed. This was made up by discounts on some servicing and not being charged for a shock to be lengthened. Whether that made a 20% difference I don't know, however I took it as goodwill and have not had issues when taking stuff back to be sorted. Overall I have been happy with the results.

I've have also had stuff done by Suspension Matters and have been happy with the work. Even when spending more than I wanted, Dave explained it thoroughly. Just need to get my 950 going to try out the new suspenders. Which reminds me I need to contact Dave and let him know why it has taken so long to get back to him:wink:
  10. Sleepy John

Sleepy John Grumpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Which emulators did you fit?
    SJ
  11. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    the DR650-specific ones. and not intiminators.

[​IMG]
  12. wheelruts

wheelruts aka speedbump

Oddometer:
    Do you happen to know what the other guy had in his forks ?
  13. outback jack

outback jack Long timer

Oddometer:
    3 weeks hey? I would say he's got a shit load of MX suspension to get ready by the end of the month for the QLD titles. Watch out when he tries to give you springs from India when you paid for Race Tech. :deal
  14. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    seriously? just checking coz if you are joking i don't want anyone to start thinking MPE is fitting shoddy springs....
  15. outback jack

outback jack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well that's what he told me when i rang him and asked why my "NEW" Race Tech spring was missing and the shock had been fitted with a 2nd hander from India. His answer was it's the same spring rate ,I said good you can have it back then. :brow
  16. itsgunnahurt

itsgunnahurt Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer:
    This is not good... I've heard of some mechanics swapping parts over on bikes (your good parts going to his good customers bikes) before, but seriously, swapping a new(ish) spring for a 2nd hander??? FFS, do you have to fully document what you left with them so as to ensure you get the right job done and your parts (which you didnt need "fixed") come back to you?

I used to insist any parts removed from my bikes get returned to me for disposal... though now I trust my mechanics, I don't ask that any more.

How can you tell it came from India?
  17. outback jack

outback jack Long timer

Oddometer:
    It had a name on it i've never heard of before :dunno He confirmed it came from India. You have to realize there is a lot of spring swapping that goes on in the suspension industry, for instance a stock spring from say a 450 will suit a bigger fast guy on a 250. So it's not uncommon for suspension tuners to take your old springs and swap them for a different set, the beef i have is when they swap a new set for an old set and tell you they tested it's rating on some suposed spring tensioner that they may or may not have calibrated right in their "World Class" back yard shop. :wink:
  18. wheelruts

wheelruts aka speedbump

Oddometer:
    Sorry you had to be the guinea pig but you saved me $850 which was a telephone quote for my DR. It looks like the price to get me onboard and then wham go the extras.
    My other quote was around $1k, which is the way I'll go. Saves me the hassle of travelling up there to get shafted.:fyyff
  19. ditchwitch650

ditchwitch650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know Dave @ suspension matters will sometimes reuse springs but he tells / offers that to peopleto save $$$ I have traded in springs from my new bike that are to soft for me, dave has a spring rate measurement press to test springs

not sure about made in India!! sounds illegal to charge for racetec and supply another product
  20. Sleepy John

Sleepy John Grumpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I must check my invoice tomorrow for the work MPE just did on the bush piglet. Me thinks Paul did exactly what he quoted at exactly the quoted price.

I've got no complaints

SJ
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.