Any Perth rides this weekend?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by eldavo, Mar 8, 2007.

1. bully1

bully1 Long timer

Oddometer:

Nigel Nomates ??
  2. Paves

Paves Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will do if I still have it. I need some cash so its going up for sale in a few weeks :cry
  3. farcall

farcall Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can take the lad out of Liverpool but can't take Liverpool out of the lad.

If you read this Nigel - you just copped a 1 year ban from group rides - and you gotta peel the WA bimmer club sticker off your bike. We have standards you know. Sheesh :lol3:lol3
  4. Vince_WA

Vince_WA Rides badly :)

Oddometer:
    Mmmm - Atul's a big fan of Rajasthan I think - not quite the amazing scenery of your last India ride, but more history and culture, historical forts and temples etc etc .... February sounds good to me :)
  5. waalex

waalex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I need to re-pack or replace the steering head bearings on my Tenere (most likely replace, the way they feel at the moment). I am keen to do the job myself, but I don't have a press to get the old bearing off and the new bearing on. I have asked a couple of shops how much to just do the "pressing", but nobody will do it as apparently the MTA has advised they shouldn't take on part jobs. They are worried they will be held liable if I don't finish the job correctly...

So who has a press that can take off a steering head bearing and press the new one on? Or can anybody suggest a shop that would take on a small job like that?
  6. Squily

Squily Squily

Oddometer:

As it so happens, Supacheap has a special that starts tomorrow where you can get a 6 ton workshop press fopr $99

Time to invest? :deal
  7. KTM Pilot

KTM Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As you probably know - Out of the sterring head is straight forward (hammer and punch).
    Off the shaft a block of wood to rest on, a hammer and cold chisel - that's how most shops do it :huh
    I was horrified first time I saw this (happening to mine), but it works - with a bit of care.
    Of course a press would be nicer.:deal

8. bully1

bully1 Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. vk6yjs

vk6yjs The answer is yes

Oddometer:

I'm with Konrad. I have done the TTR with a hammer and "used" larger screwdriver. Just a bit of common sense and you won't damage anything. Just nibble at it round and round . Easy does it. Think about it.. Even if you did scratch the head tube you can file the nick out easy , It's the new bearings that count . Give it a go.

Cheers Jay
  10. waalex

waalex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the way you're thinking Squily, I definitely think its time to invest.

I don't seem to get SCA catalogues at home, and I can't find one on the web. Is this the press that is going on special tomorrow?

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/on...ss-H-Frame-6000kg.aspx?pid=214467#Description
  11. waalex

waalex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. I am happy with getting the top bearing out of the steering head and getting the old bottom bearing off the shaft, it's mainly getting the new bottom bearing onto the shaft I am worried about. I am told you can tap it onto the shaft gently with a hammer, but I am concerned about damaging a new bearing (me/hammer/gentle don't belong in the same sentence).

I think I might check out the press that SCA have on special tomorrow.
  12. Squily

Squily Squily

Oddometer:
    Yip, I think that be the same one. But I got my dates wrong- special starts 1 August (day after tomorrow)
  13. waalex

waalex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Found a 20T press on Gumtree for $220

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hamilton-hill/tools-diy/press-hydraulic/1005023567

Or a brand new one on ebay for $200 plus delivery

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Workshop...ccessories&hash=item4d0353c3d1#ht_3967wt_1165

I think the one on gumtree might be the same as the ebay one. I wonder what the quality is like on all of them, given they are probably cheap made in china stuff. But for the small amount I am likely to use it they would probably all do the job.
  14. farcall

farcall Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Alex

I've just gone thru the process of removing my Africa Twin steering head bearings and upgrading them from ball & race to tapered.

If you're gunna buy a tool, buy a Dremel (if you don't already have one).

As you can see in the pic below, I tried 2 different methods of removing the bottom race. Firstly I tried the heat'n'cool process by welding a couple of snots on the race. No good. Then I got out the trusty Dremel with a worn down cutting disk (smaller radius). Very very carefully cut a nick into the race, stopping often to check my progress. When I thought the nick was deep enough, I got out the cold chisel. Two firm whacks and the race split easy. No worries if yours are tapered bearings, the same process works on tapered. There are clips on Youtube.

When it came to pressing the bottom tapered bearing on, I went to Bunnings and found a large washer with the same diameter as the steering stem. Stick the bearing in the freezer overnight. Next day, slide the bearing on the stem, then the large washer, then use a piece of pipe over the stem and gently tap the bearing into place. The washer protects the bearing. A gympie is better than a hammer.

I always seem to make the easy look hard when tinkering in the shed, but I surprised myself how well (easy) this job was. Currently doing all the bearings on the wheels... and getting the same easy result. I'm happy.

If you're not comfy having a crack at it yourself, bring it round home and I'll show ya. Put a pic of yours up here first though. Make sure you've got replacement seals too.

[​IMG]
  15. Squily

Squily Squily

Oddometer:

Might be the way to go= it took two of us, an oxy-torch and a chisel to get my AT's bearings out. Wasn't pretty...

Back on was easier: heated the bearing in oil and gently tapped it on.
  16. Dave Ward

Dave Ward I don't even know where the box is.

Oddometer:

With respect, this makes no sense. You would put the steering stem in the freezer (cooling shrinks) and heating the bearing (hot oil as Squily said) to make the job easier.

Cooling/shrinking the bearing would be counterproductive, no?

I usually find a piece of pipe/tube that will fit over the stem and bear only on the bearing inner, to drive the bearing on. Or, if it hasn't been cut in half :wink: , the inner part of the old bearing.
  17. farcall

farcall Long timer

Oddometer:
    :nod

Exactly my thoughts when I read about that tip elsewhere... and honestly, still doesn't make sense to me.

I tried a test fit before freezing and then after... there was a poofteenth difference in it. Anyway, it slid on easy with a couple of taps of the gympie (and the bearing suitably pre-greased), so I got on with other rebuild stuff instead of trying to figure out the merits/logic of frozen bearings or not. :D

And... all is not lost in cutting one cup in half. :deal The clever m/c engineers give us clowns another one to use, courtesy of the upper bearing which is removed in tact. Aren't we lucky. :wink:
  18. oziexplorer

oziexplorer fugarewe tribe member

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys
    my HP2 is now up for sale, check out the classifieds section

Cheers
    Dave
    0417 936 855
  19. Paves

Paves Long timer

Oddometer:
    Think of it like this: When the bearing is heated the inner race expands and starts to fill the hole it surrounds. So in reverse, when the bearing is cooled the inner race contracts into itself and the hole in the centre gets bigger. See, I'm not just a pretty face :evil
  20. Squily

Squily Squily

Oddometer:
    Very funny Paves, but not sure it works like that. Sort of saying if you want to get rid of a hole, you need to cut it out cause it'll be removed...

As far as I know, you cool the shaft and heat the housing/bearing.

But lets see what the professionals say: http://www.lubsys.com/knowledge/knw_heatmnt.htm