District 37 Racers and Curious Thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Motodisiac, Mar 14, 2011.

1. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    well to be quick its gotta be twitchy, right?

The 525 did an incredible job on saturday at Taft GP. I actually felt like I got to ride it a bit. Even skyed a few doubles! and not last place!

:thumb

minus only having about 14 minutes to get ready (the checkered flag was out on the last race before they told me they had switched Race 4 and Race 5).... it went well.

[​IMG]
  2. MotoMike

MotoMike Washed Up Desert Racer For The 2nd Time

Oddometer:
    So it looks like Cramer finished his first 2 loop national yesterday at the 4 Aces MC Moose run. Congratulations! How are you feeling this morning? :evil

I hadn't even planned on racing, just wasn't excited about it, but by Thurs of last week I started getting the itch. But the new 450 needs some work before I race it again, so what to do?

Well, the 300 has been sitting neglected for a while, so I drug it out, dusted it off and did a prep on it. Drove out Sunday morning (after waking up at 1:30 am and not being able to get back to sleep) and still wasn't sure I wanted to ride. Kind of glad I changed my mind. After a shitty start and battling through some really thick dust I pulled off a 1st in the 50+ A class. After my first couple of races this year (bad), it felt good.

Up next, Checkers! You in Pasta? :lol3
  3. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    Right on Cramer!!! Congrats! Maybe someday ill finish two loops.

:cry

yeah - Mr.I didnt wanna ride but oopsie still got first place..... :nah

thats incredible man. well done!!! gotta keep that M1 plate somehow....and thats how.

I REALLY rreallyreallyeallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreally

really

wanna do Checkers. I wanna start and finish without being in the Emergency room for 12 hours. Its my favorite race of the year and as luck would have it, there is another wedding that weekend that I have to attend.

Im going to get into the desert again here in march, mayyybe april but it will be soon
  4. CramerTV

CramerTV Still eating dust

Oddometer:
    Hey Mike, nice finish. Yesterday wasn't so bad but this morning I am sore all over. The course wasn't too tough - except that last part - I walked it down, dropped the bike, walked it some more but finally got back on and rode in. I'm working on doing more races to get in 'race shape' as you suggested. Probably going to only do one loop at checkers - gotta get in shape before going 80 miles again.

Thanks pasta. Let us know when you'll be back out there.
  5. MotoMike

Oddometer:
    You definitely need to ride more, and not just nationals. Ride some euros and desert scrambles, even some non-national hare and hounds. The Nat's are always tougher and it's easy to get discouraged.

Good job, keep it up!
  6. CramerTV

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mike. I rode jackrabbits first loop and was ready to try the second but they said the pits had closed. I tried the big loop at DMC and was so slow that sweep caught me going down the side of that hill with the old jeep trail. I'm hoping to ride as many races as I can this year.

Quick question, are the out of state nationals just as tiring and hard as ours? I was wanting to try to do the whole series this year but not sure if I'm up for it and its an awfully long drive for a DNF.
  7. Erek Kudla

Erek Kudla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The out of state rounds are definitely "easier".... but its all relative. The Idaho round is all single track in the trees which a lot of riders find much more challenging then our rocks.

Utah has some long sand dune sections that are really challenging but in a different way.

The Penaca, NV round is definitely technical and from what i hear one of the most fun rounds. Plus the city gets behind it, there's a parade lap through the streets and everything. I'll be there this year for sure.

The Reno, NV one (that I'm hosting) is going to be very challenging. Basically like a 2nd loop for 75 miles. I personally dont like bike breaker stuff so it wont push it to hard, but it will never let up. Thats just the terrain that's offered. On top of that there's a truck race going on at the same time which will make spectating AWESOME (epic ;))
  8. MotoMike

Oddometer:
    ^^^^
    What he said.

I did Idaho and the 1st Utah round year before last and I didn't do well. ID was cold, grey and the ground was nice and wet, I just took too long to get on the gas and got a 3rd. In UT it started snowing in Cedar City and never stopped, and when we got to the race site we were faced with an epic mudbog just to get into the pits. It snowed all fucking night and it was colder than a well diggers ass. I DNF'ed that one. I am just not used to those conditions.

I will say, Idaho was a blast even though I sucked. The terrain is incredible and I really wanted to just sight see. Utah probably would have been the same if you could actually see anything.

Panaca last year was cool, but wore me out. A lot of sandwashes and a lot of turns. I will being going again this year :D And I may try and do Erek's race as well. We'll see how I feel by then :gerg
  9. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    Hey its Kudla!

:wave

sup man.

My problem is, I cant ride slowly. I have to go hard. Going slow for me is harder than going fast but either way I get worn out too fast.

:lol3

the only solution is riding more!
  10. CramerTV

Oddometer:
    Hi Erik, thanks for the info. I'm still on the fence since Aces was my first two looper. It's not so much that my skills are horrible (though they are obviously not great) but more that my endurance sucks. I'm not looking to place - only finish. I may go up with the goal to sight-see as Mike suggested with the hope of finishing.

Also, I signed up online for Aces and paid $59 but when I went to get my fender card they said $54. Why the difference? Or is that Ryan's area of expertise?
  11. Erek Kudla

Erek Kudla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just for future reference (and for some reason I've been getting this a bunch lately) its E-R-E-K...

Check out my helmet cam from Idaho 2010 - Its my favorite race EVER! Terrible start though...

http://youtu.be/d_FXcy6X2oc

part 2

http://youtu.be/2e-OGBDLrbs

and my Utah Helmet 2010

http://youtu.be/ne6cn-Fc54U

No Idea about the costs. I do know that they add $2.50 to the entry on paypal. No idea why it would be cheaper AT the event. Thats a club thing. I doubt Ryan would know why.
  12. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Paypal charges a fee to process the payment. So it looks like they are adding that to the entry.
  13. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    Who is in for Glen Helen GP?
  14. CramerTV

Oddometer:
    I've never done a GP - they look like fun. I might be able to come out but probably only for my race on Sunday - seniors @ 10:15. My problem is that I would likely not get a finish because I am so slow.
  15. MotoMike

Oddometer:
    Don't think that way. All you do is ride and do the best you can, and focus on riding clean and smooth. The only way to not get a finish is by not completing one full lap, and I'm confident that you can do that.
  16. KZJohn

KZJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which GP? The Big-6 or the Western Off Road Champ series this Sun?
  17. CramerTV

Oddometer:
    I was referring to the Big 6 race at the beginning of March. Not sure which one Dennis was talking about.
  18. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    Big 6 it is, first weekend of March at Glen Helen. IMHO GP's are a lot easier than desert races. Imagine racing on established trails rather than going flat out in open desert - a lot safer and you still have fun because it's competition.

Because they moved Vet races to Saturday I will have to race on Sunday, lucky Race 13 at 12:45pm - Novice Heavyweight.

I will also race unclassified at 7:30am to get familiar with the course. Usually I manage at least 3-4 laps before the checker flag drops, and it really helps in the main race.
  19. CramerTV

Oddometer:
    Racing another race before your event - good idea. I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I'll do that to and see if I can get a finish.

Mike, in the 'riders handbook' on the D37 offroad members tools page I read that you have to finish at least half of the laps as the winner or else it's a DNF. Is that wrong? Believe me, the senior experts are more than twice as fast as I am. Maybe I'll try to block them :evil
  20. CramerTV

Oddometer:
    How do the points work? If I raced the Senior race (#12) and the HWT Novice (#14) would I get points in both? And would I be placed according to my specific D37 class (Sen Hwt Nov?)