Kriega USA Luggage Q&A

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by amanlikemike, Apr 2, 2012.

1. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I don't even bother on the 400... I just let the side panel push against the exhaust can... so far so good (although, the OL30 is on the 950SE way more than the 400).

In reality... any high temp hose and a hose clamp would do the trick. Both should be available at a decent auto parts store. Still too much $$? Go to an auto repair shop and see if they have replaced any high temp hoses and use the old hose with a hose clamp.
  2. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:

Of course I care...............where else would I get my Kreiga stuff if you stuffed it????:freaky

Speaking of which, I got a small care package in the mail yesterday........too bad it did not arrive sooner or I would have used it......I will drop you a line in a few days with a reveiw.

Thanks again for sending the package, Michael!!
  3. amanlikemike

amanlikemike Recovering Speedfreak

Oddometer:
    Haha! Fair play.

And yeah - lemme know what you think. I reckon it's by far the best solution out there, but will be interested to hear your opinion.

Cheers,

Michael
  4. Mastodon

Mastodon Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer:
    I know I was excited when I first got them, so I honestly am not sure what I did when I did my first assembly. Pretty certain I did the typical manly method of it. You know: "I don't need no stinkin' instructions. How hard can it be?" Nearly certain I didn't use the Loctite, and probably went until they were tight before saying "Good 'nough"

So I had misalignments as big as this
    [​IMG]

Which, doing the best I could by angling them together, left me with gaps like this:
    [​IMG]

Anyways I just went back and looked at it again, and using the proper tools this time I got one whole side put together correctly. Only have 3 sets of fasteners remaining. Need to replace the other 7 to get it as good as new again.

Two other questions: could the threaded sleeves rubbing against the liners cause small abrasions on the outsides like this:
    [​IMG]

And would something like that be enough to let moisture in?
  5. amanlikemike

Oddometer:

Yeeeeeeaaaaahhhhhh.... That'd do it!

The fasteners need to be fully flush, tightened and thread-locked. The abrasion on the inner liner is definitely a side-effect of them not being so, and it looks like just enough of the waterproof coating has been scrubbed off to allow moisture to wick its way in.

The packs need to be fitted as you would a car wheel (i.e. fasteners diagonally inserted across from each other and then tightened), so the corners of the bag can be pulled to fit (it needs to be a very tight tolerance to prevent them shaking off or wearing out over time). As you discovered, attaching them in pretty much any other order will make it all but impossible to line up the final couple of holes per bag. If - for some reason - it still proves tricky, you could always drill out the holes by another 0.5 / 1mm diameter to give a bit more tolerance. But that is a last resort and shouldn't be necessary.

Glad we got there in the end!

PM me your address and I'll stick seven sets of fasteners and a replacement liner in tomorrow's mail, so we can get this show back on the [off-] road.

Cheers,

Michael
  6. Mastodon

Oddometer:
    PM sent! Just want to say that your level of support is pretty much unheard of in this day and age. I'll definitely be buying more Kriega products in the future
  7. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for a backpack that will hold an Arai XD3, or 4:D:D, and a 14" laptop but not much else of any size, and can use as carry on for flying. Any suggestions?
  8. Jason Abbott

Jason Abbott Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer:
    I got some quick phone shots of my loop locations for reference.

[​IMG]

I chose the locations by posing the bags, marking, then tweaking when I saw the plastic structure under the fender.

[​IMG]

Per the advice here, I'll try mounting the bags in a higher position.

[​IMG]

The trouble with the bags up higher is finding somewhere to anchor the bottom. I'll figure something out.

9. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Inmate inkfx kindly sent us these shots of his new 990 kitted out with the Overlander 60 and RotopaX, from his recent Baja shakedown trip...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

:clap

... And now back to work! :D
  10. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    :deal

Got my overlander stuff last week, but havent even had a chance to open the box yet! I will, tonight, hopefully, after the kiddo goes to bed. Reading her stories usually is the kiss of death for me, though :lol23
  11. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hey Woody,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

To answer you question; Kriega doesn't make a bag specifically designed to accommodate a helmet. the packs are designed to perform when you need it the most i.e. while you are riding (and your helmet is being used). Making the packs bigger, or adding a helmet carrier is likely to compromise this performance. That said, depending on the size of your lid, it might be possible to fit it in an R35. I have a Large XD-4 and can't get it in, but Mrs. Kriega USA's Medium will. But that's with the peak removed.
    And it would be quite a squeeze (depth-wise, at least) with a laptop in there.

That said, we do offer a superior helmet cover / carrier in the form of the US Skin:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.kriega.us/us-skin-motocross-helmet-cover/.

This offers excellent protection, compared to standard helmet bags and comes complete with a short carry handle with plastic rings and longer shoulder straps to make toting your helmet around a little easier. It can be attached to a backpack pretty easily using a karabiner or similar. Even if it was carried separately, you could use it as your second piece of carry-on (in the US at least - not sure how many bags you're allowed in Oz). Bu
    t this is not an official solution. Regardless, I strongly suspect that a backpack so big that it can handle swallow up an XD-4 and a laptop, would be a funny shape, not to mention a little unwieldy for riding with.

I hope this info helps, but please feel free to drop me a line if you would like any more detail or feel I can be of any further assistance at this stage.

Cheers,

Michael
  12. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Jason.

If you want to get behind that forward side panel, you should be able to access a section of the subframe, where the strap can't slide vertically and wrap the daisy chain around that, so it looks a little like this:

[​IMG]

Let me know how you get on once you've got that errant Rack Loop locked down.

Cheers,

Michael
  13. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Putting the nipper to sleep so dad can go play with his new toys. Yup! That's about right! :rofl
  14. Mastodon

Oddometer:
    Got my replacement parts today. Probably came in on Saturday, since the mail lady came by after I checked the mail today. Put everything together, and loaded it up a bit too. I can keep all of my rain gear, and other auxiliary gear too, in one of the four bags, with room to spare!

[​IMG]
    Gear

[​IMG]
    Loaded up in the bag

Love the Overlander system. Lets my Scrambler be the bike I want it to.
  15. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Excellent. Can't wait to see it on the Scram'!

"Lets my Scrambler be the bike I want it to." That is a great quote! :freaky

Cheers,

Michael
  16. Happycamper

Happycamper Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer:
    Michael,

Do you know if the 60 is compatable with Holan's racks?

Thanks.
  17. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Fairly sure the Holan's are 'precisely the same dimensions' (:evil) as the Touratech racks, so shouldn't be an issue. If you can confirm the measurements of the rectangular 'hoop' and tubing diameter of the ones you have I can say for sure.

Cheers,

Michael
  18. Mastodon

Oddometer:
    Haha, thanks.

I wrote up a ride report about a weeks ago on a 1200 mile trip I did with the Scram. Good number of pics during the dry part. I was too cold and wet to stop during the rainy bits.

Three States and a Wedding
  19. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    New kit:
    R8.
    [​IMG]

Very well made. I don't know any other manufacturer (in and around motorcycling) that makes stuff of such quality.
    This is as big waist-bag as you would want to carry. Short for the camping gear, it will hold everything you need to carry on a motorcycle. A lot of different compartments. It sags a little (with 2kg of stuff in it), but this will need further field testing.

As predicted, it will not go well with an R25, but this combination would be too much gear even for a paratrooper.
    Theoretically, it could work with a waist bag facing front.

[​IMG]

I sense a Hydro pack in my future.
  20. salcar

salcar Riding 4 Health

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Our typical setup for one week ride in Nicaragua fits into a “US-40″, which is a combination of three bags:
    • Kriega US-20 in center holds all the clothes
    • Kriega US-10 on one side holds a toolkit and other items
    • Kriega US-10 on other side holds rainsuit, shoes, and a camp towel.
    For a full packing description click here:deal