The XL600 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gregster, Jul 6, 2007.

1. TonyfromOR

TonyfromOR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd be more concerned about who's been shooting at your tank! :eek1
  2. wvspike

wvspike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    will xr footpegs work on an xl600r?
  3. m2h

m2h "Old guys rule"

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave I had the feeling the bike was not getting the gas so i think you're onto it with regards the jetting. I will take your advice and am going to try a 120, 118, 65 combo. Will let you know how it goes. Am still waiting for my conrod to arrive from partzilla:cry
    Regards
    M2H
  4. Edouard_Bracame

Edouard_Bracame Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have 4 other tanks in spare don't worry, I even have a brand new one, but the white seal is not installed on it...reason why I try to find it on the aftermarket, anyway if anyone of you guy's can check at the opportunity of a visit to an automotive part shop in the US, I would really appreciate, I have checked here in Thailand but so far for...no success.

I might try as well when I'll be back to Belgium for Easter vacation next April...but I haven't seen something like this for sale so far...:huh
  5. ElMartillo

ElMartillo I See Faces...

Oddometer:
    Proud new owner of this fine machine. Kindly donated to me by a friend, this '83 XL has 34K showing on the odometer, the previous owner tells me it had a full top-end rebuild about 10K miles ago. Bike runs strong but has trouble idling. First thing I want to do is get a new front tire, then go through the front suspension and the carbs. Could use a rear fender as it's been rear-ended and there's some cracks.

I'd really like to upgrade the suspension somewhat, try to get some more travel out of it. Whatever I do it's going to be on a budget. All I want out of it is a useful machine that works well and doesn't look too bad.

If anyone has any advice, especially carburetor info and good sources for parts let me know!

[​IMG]

Cheers! :thumb
  6. Schrauberklaus

Schrauberklaus ***ifyer

Oddometer:
    PM me your E-Mail and i send you my selfmade Carburator discription
  7. Schrauberklaus

Schrauberklaus ***ifyer

Oddometer:
    In Thailand you get only the black one , and thats hard to find in
    local Hardware shops .
  8. royal120

royal120 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all, Does anyone have or know where i can get a right side panel for a XL600R 1983. I have looked all over!!! I live in the United Kingdom so not easy to get your hands on.....

[​IMG]

Also i have not seen any other xl600r with this rear fender has anyone?

[​IMG]

Also the colour of this bike??? only seen a few online like this i thought the 1983 was all RED?
  9. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    That might be the Australian XL. I think they have laws on colors of motorcycles over there. :eek1

I was looking at street legal sand tires, and they're frigging expensive! And I want one of those LM tanks, I'd paint it like the earlier tanks and slap it on my bike.
  10. R. Smith

R. Smith Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Thats some kind of aftermarket rear fender.
  12. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    DC plastics sidecovers don't have the tits that plug into the rubber grommets, they screw on instead. i have seen nuts welded in where the grommets used to be to make removal and installation easier. Still better than none at all. Sometimes original covers pop up on eBay.
  13. bdcorrigan

bdcorrigan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes they will, you will have to drill a larger hole possibly.
  14. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay I need to change gearing for offroad.

I have been getting better at riding since changed my fork seals and put in heavier fork oil (I think it was 15w idk) and I've been getting way more trail time in and riding by myself. I've been confident the last two weeks and been climbing hills like a mad man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vodpzXj0dw Skip to 4:15 to see what I've been practicing on, going up of course. It's scary as hell the first time you do it, kind like, dropping in on a skateboard. and theres about 10 trails of varying difficulty all in this one spot. you start out in soft sand, and by the time you shift into third you run into some whoops right before the actual climb, so you have to blitz them WOT just to get up the hill. I get about 1/3 up the hill and the engine starts to sound strained so I try to down shift to second before that happens and then launch the rest of the way up the hill in second gear in really high revs. I think I might be stressing the engine out more than I need to be :puke1 but it's just too damn fun.

Also, when I'm riding the really tight single track in the mountains, I'm constantly jumping from 1st to 2nd 3rd over and over again. 1st is too much revs and wheel spin and 2nd and 3rd gears are too weak to huck over a hill.

I'm about to buy a 13t front sprocket to swap in when I do serious dirt riding. but I want some thoughts first. btw I'm running stock gearing:ear
  15. ElMartillo

ElMartillo I See Faces...

Oddometer:
    A good friend of mine who lives in the UK may be able to help, and is a good guy to know in any case.

He's got an online motorcycle parts business:

www.ZenOverland.com

Good luck! :thumb
  16. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Imma do it then. The ideal thing would be to buy a spare rear rim and put an aggressive knobby on it with a 49 tooth sprocket to go with the 13t :evil
  18. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    If you go too far with the gearing you will make first gear useless.
  19. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to get more use out of 2nd and 3rd gear in the tight stuff. I just bought a 13t sunstar sprocket on ebay for $13 shipped
  20. Carter Pewterschmidt

Carter Pewterschmidt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to get a set of fork springs from Race Tech but apparently they don't have any info on the XL600R front fork. I'm wondering if anyone has a stock spring just rolling around that could get some measurement off of it. Otherwise no big deal, I'll just have to wait until I tear my front end down.