The Mountains of the East

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Riff, Oct 7, 2010.

1. edsollen

edsollen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Honeymooned at Deep Creek lake 34 years ago. My wife and I stop at Penn Alps every chance we get! Yeah the same one I honeymooned with 34 years ago. :raabia
    Castleman Hotel is good eatin' also.
  2. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You know it Ed. Penn Alps and the Castleman still as good as ever was, changed hands a couple of times, but still good. The wife and I make a date night and go to UNO's up at the lake and if a good movie showing go over to the Garrett 8 Cinemas .... and .... . It is a nice place. Sounds like you married above your head as well! Congratulations!
  3. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    As always, nice writeups and photos. :clap

And thank you for the compliment. :D
  4. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    ok, yawl convinced me. instead of riding the ga, nc,tenn mountains for the 4th week, i'm coming to WEST VA. actually turn around point will be fair haven state park, NY. i've high lighted my map roads in west va but i've not found anything yet in penn. i need a non interstate route between cumberland and elmira-binnghamton area. i pmed riff :)
  5. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hey Kite
    Working on an iPad here while my desktop is going through a spy bot scan will be right with you got some suggestions for you
  6. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hey Kite
    I just weighed you down with a great deal of information. Take a look at it and based on your time constraints you can pick and choose, and what you don't get to do this time. you'll wanna come back for more. :lol3

Good Luck, Good Riding, and God Speed!
    Riff
  7. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be around over the weekend, and Riff might come over the mountain.
    We could probably put together a route between us :D

What are ya riding, does it have knobbies or is it fast? :clap
  8. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    1250 bandit/hard bags...UGLY gun metal blue...yellow helmet/black leather. i always ride the speed limit, or...no faster than my angels can fly:) tires are Pilot Roads (sport tour) RIFF HAS MY PHONE NUMBER
  9. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be home tomorrow evening, live just off of US Rt 50. 50 is 4 lane and boring in the western part of the state, gets fun and twisty east of Clarksburg.

PM me
  10. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    had a whirlwind trip. 3038 miles in 6 days. took virtually no pics. stayed 3 nights in ny, 2 at seneca rocks west va and two nights at my parents house in NC. i wanna do it again...with...A GOLDWING :)

Attached Files:

11. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    My bed of choice :)

Attached Files:

12. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you had a good trip, the Goldwing would be a good choice for touring.
    Since we are not hauling gear we travel lighter and faster than you might want to do on a Wing.
  13. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I WOULD LOVE TO RIDE WITH YOU GUYS Up there with no gear . un fortunately thats 15 hours for me to mget there. next time, i'll be in a dodge truck with a bandit on a traILER:)
  14. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Kite Old Man!

:rofl :clap
    Glad You enjoyed yourself. Like me and the HillBilly have implied in our posts ... " you can come and ride in our mountains anytime, but they will never leave you, and always keep you wanting for more" Let us know next time you plan on blowing through and we'll put together a tour for you, and be ready for every twist and terrain you can imagine. Getting ready to put up another post from a ride a couple of days ago. Another unbelievable "Day Trip" in "The Mountains of the East"! :wink:
  15. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 2 of a Day Trip! :huh According to Google Maps this is a 62.2 mile, One Hour and Thirty One Minute trip that took me Two days! The wife and I started out on July the 4th and I didn't get there until 3:45, by myself on July the 5th! :1drink And no I hadn't been drinking! One Word "RAIN"! :dog If had been just me, no problem, but I take care of the Fox. To give the short version, into day one I just turned around just before the second storm and took Her back to Cumberland which fit her plans perfectly. So here we go. West Bound out of Cumberland on old Route 40.

Pass Cassleman

[​IMG]

Through Grantsville continues west on 40 to the "Youghiogheny"

[​IMG]

Cross over the "Yough... " [not sure how we get YOUCK out of that!?]
    [​IMG]

48.5 miles from Cumberland on 40 you come to PA Rt 381 at Farmington [not far from the "Nemacolin" resort] and go north appx 6.5 miles to ....
    [​IMG]
    That's right "OhioPyle", I know "been there done that", but this is not our final destination today! To Be Continued!
  16. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay! So here was the Journey's end!
    the images are used with permission of Western Pennsylvania Conservancy

[​IMG]

Been wanting to check this out for some time. Here are the good ones, with little or no commercial interruption! The Pathway to the house!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turn the corner.
    [​IMG]

http://www.fallingwater.org/
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Fallingwater" definitely worth the trip. Even if it takes two days ... !

17. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did I say I went through "Ohio Pyle" before I went back to Cumberland ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the kind of place you look for when you travel; the big chain places are okay, but can not compare to this!
    [​IMG]

to find food this good, and all for under MickeyDee's prices.
    [​IMG]

Ohio Pyle is one of those places you can be as active as you want or if you just want to chill out .... well you get the idea.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to head back down river ...
    [​IMG]

To
    [​IMG].CUMBERLAND !

18. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    great pics! the ohiopyle was one area i wanted to hit back in my whitewater kayaking days. never made it farther north than west va :( after taking a trip with a camera in my tank bag, with the intention of taking pics of all the neat stuff i saw, i really do appreciiate the time and effort you put into your trip reports. i could never make myself stop to take a picture and there were many opportunities. good work!
  19. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks Kite... talking with ADVWolf via our message board about all the places around our little end of our world and we can't believe all that we have around here when we think about it, and most of it we take for granted. Riding and Photography are something I really enjoy. they really help me keep perspective in my life. I am not a pro at either like some of the folks on this site, who are Incredible and inspiring riders, photographers and story tellers. The one thing we All have in common is Living the dream on the two wheel machine we call "Motorcycle"! Thanks again and looking forward to someday meeting up with you. Possibility of making some time in September not sure when yet, and thinking BRP to the Dragon and around that area. Will let you know if and when.

Looking to keep growing, longing for more riding!
    Riff
  20. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have internet again :clap

What did I miss?