Best panniers for 990 Adventure

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by dondesmo, Apr 23, 2012.

1. GLRRA47

GLRRA47 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like my Jessie panniers. OH to CO and back last summer. I've not layed it down with them on though.
  2. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I love my jesse cases. For longish trips, I run:
    jesse cases,
    Ktm tank bag,
    Kriega US20 x 2 plus a US10 stacked up on my ktm rear plate

[​IMG]
  3. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK
    I use the Kreiga Overlander 60. Its 2 x 15 litre bags each side, mounted onto a hard board. These attach to pannier rails with bolted clips, I use the KTM Gobi rails but work with pretty much any rails.
    I have the KTM Hardparts 60112078000 big waterproof bag over the back.

[​IMG]
  4. Eataz

Eataz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im pretty happy with my gobi's(atleast the side ones). Have not done alot of offroad with them so cant say anyting about that. The topbox flew of during a gravelroad run hince the homemade hinges on the picture and the straps just as a precaution ;) , i probably forgot to lock it with the key or something else happend, i had ridden about 30km's on pavement before the gravel. But the key mechanism works now atleast. The side bags are really firm in place, but the box has never been, you can wiggle it back and forth when it is locked in place and it flexes the plastic.

[​IMG]
  5. JohnnyWaffles

JohnnyWaffles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have any photos from the back in order to see the width? I've been looking into that system for awhile now. I like the compactness and ease of removal. Any other thoughts on the setup? Likes/dislikes?
  6. thebarber

thebarber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

great when trailing on own, but ive just bought sum ally panniers for 2 up trips
  7. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK
    The bike is in hibernation, no photos from the rear, sorry. Less wide than the handlebars, which I find important!

Likes: the fact that when I dropped the bike totally on its side there was no damage. I like the separate compartmentation of 4 bags, gives me a chance to split things up. I get my tent including poles in 1, sleeping bag, liner, airbed and pump in another, 2 water bottles and food in the third, cooking, washing and medical in the 4th.

The boards attach with machined alloy brackets and clamps, I swapped the clamps for M6 screws for extra security and carry an 8mm ratchet ring to remove quickly.

No dislikes, I guess in theory they are less secure than locked boxes, but if someone wants to screwdriver a lock or prise open an aluminium case they will do.
  8. Ianuk

Ianuk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got Gobi's panniers on mine at the moment which have been great but I'm now looking for a narrower set up with more space. After clouding a couple of cars this summer... :wink:

Has anyone had any experience with Vern's panniers at http://http://www.projectvnd.com
  9. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Not familiar with the Vern's but they look like copies of the jesse design - as for width, the jesses are the most narrow setup I found in hard cases - the racks are tucked in very tightly...
  10. JohnnyWaffles

JohnnyWaffles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Peanuts thanks for the feedback! Yes, slimmer than the handlebars is what I care about as well...some of the other setups are quite bulky, something I cannot tolerate.

The price is a bit off-putting but I think the design more than makes up for it. I also like the compartmentalized concept rather than a big bag of sh*t.
  11. amanlikemike

amanlikemike Recovering Speedfreak

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Hello gents,

This thread - and request in particular - just popped up on my radar, so I hope you won't mind if I chime in with the requested photo of the arse-end of an Overlandered 990:

[​IMG]
    (photo credit Inmate Wantajustride. More here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62878&page=1057)[/SIZE]

Got more shots of the system on my 2010 990, but apparently not one from the rear, it seems. :shog Happy to share if you like.

Clearly, I might be considered a tad biased, so I'm not going to push it. :deal But I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have about the Kriega set-up. And, by all means, feel free to post them in my Vendor's thread, if you'd prefer.

Cheers,

Michael
  12. armourbl

armourbl Adventure Life

Oddometer:

This is the system I want, but unfortunately will have to probably wait a long time to get. I sure wish it was more affordable.

ben
  13. JohnnyWaffles

JohnnyWaffles Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's perfect, thanks!

I always seem to forget about water when planning my camp setup :wink: and I think that's is great with the fuel and water Rotopax on there.
  14. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures

Oddometer:
    ooh, that's a nice looking setup right there. I really like my Gobis as far as hard cases are concerned, but if I'm riding hard off road, I typically unlock the latches to the rack and just strap them on so that they can break free if I hit something, which has happened before. The only real downside is that because they are a dual-wall design, there isn't quite as much room inside as you might expect. I don't have any experience with the top case.
  15. Gfeldy

Gfeldy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is that 3 15's or 20's?

16. amanlikemike

amanlikemike Recovering Speedfreak

Oddometer:
    That's 3x 15L Drypacks + 2x 1-gallon RotopaX on the sides with the 4th 15L pack on the rear rack.

Cheers,

Michael
  17. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:
    Wolfman Expedition dry saddlebags work wonderfully at a reasonable price point. I know many 990 owners that use them. I'm working on a custom set up for quick removal of the rotopax from my saddlebag rack, as in no bolts, or I can mount them on my crash bars if I choose. I'll post up pic's when they get back from powder coat.
  18. kanur

kanur cu new er

Oddometer:
    I've been real happy with my Steel Ponies :freaky

[​IMG]
  19. mudder

mudder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We like Touratech panniers.:D
    [​IMG]
  20. Gfeldy

Gfeldy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just ordered my first half of this system yesterday. I'm really excited to get the bike dialed in.