Universal Enduro Fairing

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by aiMhi, Feb 28, 2012.

1. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    We are here to provide as much misinformation as possible :rofl

I think they are pretty close - at least the fork clamp bolt orientation is the same so the concept for the bracket is the same. Either way someone will correct us. Let me know your thoughts on that bracket design ok.

2. canadius_maximus

canadius_maximus Quaere verum

Oddometer:
    Dude, that you'd ask for my input is an enourmous leap of faith ... there are others here far worthier than I ... don't say I didn't warn you. Translation: I'm smart like rocks. :lol3

Replied to your pm - sounds like it's in hand, though I'm struggling to visualize from the side elevation.

CM
  3. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    Mad rush to get my bike ready for the Kokopelli Enduro Ride from Grand Junction to Moab and back. It is put on my by the newely formed Rocky Mountain Adventure Riders AMA Charter Club http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=762161. Its going to be an epic ride - 140 miles of trail one way, stay and ride Moab for a day and them back 140miles.

In order to prep my bike I have completed my Carbon Fiber Stealth Dash to go with my Stealth Fairing. The dash is high quality Carbon Fiber - handmade by me. They will be available for purchase at $60 soon from my site. Since I make them individually it will be on an order basis - but no lengthy delay expected.

As I work to add products to complement my fairing I was looking for the perfect LED light. I feel I have found the best LED lights out there to compliment the Stealth Fairing. Certified Performance USA Engineered and at a price competitive to Chinese knock-off's - check it out at http://www.aimhi-enduro.com/LED-High-Power-Lighting.html These are manufactured by Ridgid Industries and used in Baja and international races.

I will mount my electronics tomorrow night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. bigalsmith101

bigalsmith101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This looks pretty damn promising amigo. I really like the look of the Carbon Fiber Dash. Sexy. There is definitely a lot of room for customization and a lot of personalization. Very well done.

--Alex
  5. canadius_maximus

Oddometer:
    Hello Bern,

I never thought of myself as the fanboy type .... but dude, your work is just sick! Was surrounded by too many teenage snowboarders at the ski hill last night, I think. :lol3

OK - all joking aside - very impressed. Mostly so by the light choice - reallly want to see more of what that looks like mounted. Is the setup with these new lights entail two of those units you've pictured? One high one low, or will you use just one, with two LEDS high and two LEDS low?

Once you're back from Moab, I look forward to our discussion around the DRZ. I'll be ordering very shortly, based on the budget around the lighting.

Cheers,

CM
  6. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    CM - Yeah a true huckfest on the hill can rub off like a cat out a window. Just watch out the jibber's - Snowbonic's - LOL :rofl

I need to work on it to properly mount it up when I get back and have time but think one should do the trick in my opinion. Otherwise (1) flood and (1) spot if you want to go hunt deer as well.

Thank you for the feedback.

7. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    Locked and loaded to ride the Kokopelli Trail. Rode it last year and it is a blast. 140 Miles to Moab with awesome terrain. Got all the hardware mounted up and will be testing out my new Carbon Fiber Dash.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. canadius_maximus

Oddometer:
    Like the dash!

What about the new lights? I'm assuming you're going with the current light setup, not the new square unit?

Looking mighty fine - have a great ride, and looking forward to the post-ride review of the components!

Cheers,
  9. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    Hey Bern, Got the fairing the other day, now I can't help but share :D

Very nice part, finished side is a scuff and paint, no filling necessary.

I'm working on getting it onto my 690 E soon and make ready to play as well... as soon as the snow and freezing rain quits around there. Hoping to have the mounting system completed for either triple clamp mount or frame mount, light mount and navigation tower as well. :evil

A pictures of it loosely mocked up on the 690, don't mind the "mixed use shop" :deal:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. canadius_maximus

Oddometer:
    Hello H2W,

Looks awesome - the shape of Bern's product really lends itself to the angular lines of those new KTM enduros. I'm eager to see what kind of frame-mounted concoction you come up with. I too, am in the throes of deciding which way to go - looking forward to how you make out.

cheers,

CM
  11. Starkman

Starkman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

More about the clutch cover please, Looks really nice. Are you selling them?
  12. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    Hi Starkman - I just started making these Carbon Fiber Clutch Case Covers for the XR650R and crash tested it this weekend in Moab riding the Kokopelli - works just fine :lol3 - not that fine on my body however.

I dont have it on my website yet, so make these on a per request basis for $50 - 10% discount+ shipping. PM me for details. Looks like you are just north or Denver so if you work close to I-25 & I-225 I can just hand-deliver it or I can send it USPS for el cheapo.

Later,
    Bern

13. canadius_maximus

Oddometer:
    Hey Bern,

How are you feeling? I took a bit of a get-off this weekend - sore as well ... :)

Hope all is well - look forward to hearing about the headlight developments.

cheers,

CM
  14. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    I survived our enduro ride from Grand Junction to Moab (140ml) and beat the shcrap out of ourselves and our bikes. It was a fun experience but took me three hours longer (12 total) than last year since we took a detour to Top of the World and ended up riding/carrying other people's bikes up some of the hills. Loads of fun and great camaraderie.

The fairing worked great on the trail and the open dirt roads that we hammered down. I also wiped out a couple times on the rocks and the fairing is just fine since it is not exposed (unless you loop the bike). For my purposes I am going to trim about 1 1/2 inch from the top.

I received the (5) LED lights in, however they are not satisfactory for what I am looking for. It has a built in fan and is vented so it needs a housing or sorts to keep water out. I can send you a pic of one it might work for some but not for my extreme purposes.

For lights I will be converting to the Rigid Dually lights that I now carry http://www.aimhi-enduro.com/LED-High-Power-Lighting.html which are vented but have a Gore Tex membrane for water protection. The cost/size is also perfect including the sturdy mounting points.

Just catching up but should have the Rigid's mounted up in a week or so.

[​IMG]

Note the inmate with the Fox Racing Knickerbocker Jeans:lol3

[​IMG]
    On the way to Moab - close to Dewey Bridge
    [​IMG]
    Top of the World Baby :clap
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    Ready to ride a 280mile overnight this weekend.

Final setup with dual Rigid Lights and Lexan Lens. I trimmed down the fairing 1.5 inches, I might go another 1 inch.

I also found that I really just need one Flood version of the Rigid light but that will be next. Additionally the light mounts to aluminium bracket that attaches to the inside of the fairing using fiberglass flange bolts that hold tight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. canadius_maximus

Oddometer:
    Looks great Bern - how was your ride?

What's your final word on the lights? One or two? It's looking really sweet.

CM
  17. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    Ride was awesome - pic's on page 3 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783171

I was running two spots which is a bit too focused but worked great. The spots are perfect for aux lights and I think two is overkill - my next step is one Rigid flood light. This means I need to mod my mule fairing and do some work!

I also have a sweet attachment method for the lights to the fairing using a simple bracket that bolts on the inside to (2) flange bolts embedded into the fiberglass so little or no vibration from the fairing bracket.

Here is a pic of the headlights - take note I trimmed about 1 1/2 inches off the top.

[​IMG]
  18. Short Dark Handsome

Short Dark Handsome dr650

Oddometer:
    Hey bern. Sorry i havent gotten back to you about my bike. Your fairing is brilliant and one of a kind. Still havent gotten to painting it yet but I am gunna. Havent noticed any problems at all. Solid as a rock.
    :clap

[​IMG]
  19. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting up. I like what you did and customized it to your liking. The white actually works with your plastics in the back.

How does it handle at speed, does it make life a little better?
    How did you attach it to your bike, looks like you are using your OEM headlight connection points?

Thanks,
    Bern

20. Short Dark Handsome

Short Dark Handsome dr650

Oddometer:
    Yes I used all 3 OEM connection point. It gives me excellent wind protection and is stable at high speeds. No regrets at all!