Pardon me for my ignorance... front suspension question

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by SR1, Dec 30, 2012.

1. SR1

SR1 We gotta get outta this place!

Oddometer:
    Guys, simple stupid question here. If I remove my front shock/spring assembly, what happens to the front wheel? Is there a stop to keep it from dropping to the floor (doesn't have far to go of course) or what?

Reason I'm asking (this will help you answer me) is I will get my Ohlins front shock rebuilt this winter, but the bike will sit in my Korean parking garage. Everything needs to look "usable" not like a garage. My idea is that I'll remove the assembly and just leave the bike sitting on the center stand while I have the shock rebuilt (probably 3-4 weeks turnaround).

I suppose once concern is the random "someone sitting on my bike" thing and surprise, the front wheel gives no support! I doubt this is an issue though, Koreans seem to leave other people's stuff alone very well.

Any precautions I need to take?
  2. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe it will be unstable. I changed the shock on a few Telelever bikes, but never gave a thought what happens when I am not supervising... As I recall, I had to support the machines the same way as when removing front wheel.

However: how about a bike cover? Even a tarpaulin, if dedicated covers are expen$ive in Korea? If they let you cover a bike in your location, this may be the best choice, the bike looks uninviting.

Happy New Year!
  3. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the centerstand with no front shock it will look normal but with both tires on the ground. If someone takes it off the centerstand with no shock the bike will contact the ground, probably damage some bushings/seals in the forks and be waaaaaay difficult to get back on the centerstand without a strong helper. After shock removal, reinstall the front tire and strap the front wheel to the centerstand tightly. Then it can't be taken off the centerstand and will look completely normal but if you can, put a spacer between the front wheel and lower fork brace, then nobody can screw it up unless they mean it.
  4. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    the Ozark, Boston, Kiamichi and Ouachita Mnts
    +1
  5. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    Do you have a drill? Could you get a length of water pipe, about the same length of the shock and just drill a couple of holes through it? Put that strut in there after you pull the shock and everything should be safe.
  6. SR1

Oddometer:
    Isn't one end of the shock (we are talking front here) or both just the pin? I can't quite picture it in my head, and I've never had to take it out. That would be harder to replicate with a water pipe.

As a positive note, I've found out there's an Ohlins guy in Seoul, but I'm wary of the prices. We'll see if I get it done locally (much faster) or in the US (slower due to shipping). In this case speed is not just a convenience, but also a safety factor with the bike sitting in the stall.

Side note-I intentionally have the bike sitting with the bars locked to the side and on the centerstand (and bags on) knowing full well that if someone plays with it, it will hit the ground immediately. It never moves. I think in the US it would already be on it's side.
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
  8. SR1

Oddometer:
    '06 and yes, the front wheel is weighted, the more I think about it. I'm going to need a block or pipe or something...

Good reference, Jim!
  9. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been there done that. Bike on centre stand and place a block or crate etc under the front of the eng bash plate.:*sip*
  10. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    There's a used shock on Ebay for $59. Or see if somebody will sell you a known-bad shock?

Or a drilled pipe like I suggested earlier, with a bolt dropped through the upper hole, well down into the pipe (like 4" worth)? It wouldn't come dislodged unless the fork dropped down far enough for the bolt to come out. The pipe would attach to the bottom and not go anywhere.
  11. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    :nod This works fine, unless you are leaving it long term and have kids or pets. For me it has always been fine.

Jim :brow
  12. SR1

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys...

And now (jokingly, but true) I shall root around my neighborhood for a block of "something" about the height of my skidplate. :lol3

I do have a cover, and can choose what part of the parking garage I put it, so I might try to find a more secluded area (right now it is about 20' from the elevator).
  13. AndyCap

AndyCap Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer:
    If you have bags or a tob box, put a bit of weight in there so the rear tire will be touching down when on the center stand. The forks will keep the front rigid while the shock is out, but won't hold too much weight.
  14. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    SR1,
    I believe a simple fix for your situation would be to just cut a piece of wood, say 2"x2" {50mm x 50mm or so} and sut it about the length of your shock, not counting the stem bolt on the top. Push the piece up into the steering neck shock pocket, and the other end just set it on top of the trailing arm {telelever arm} above where the lower shock would mount. Use it basically as a spacer....then put a tie down up and over the steering neck and down to the trailing arm. Tighten the tie down {ratchet tie would be best} this will hold the block of wood tight, and keep the space correct.

With this system you could even take it off of the center stand and move it around on the wheels if you had too.
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Not a bad idea. Even a length of broom handle would work.

I've done this more than once:

[​IMG]

Jim :brow