GPS Pricing Deal Fest - Post that good price or deal here

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by 9Dave, Jul 12, 2008.

1. mcnut

mcnut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It will do routing on auto-routing map sets, TOPO 100k is not one of them. You would likely want CityNavigator for auto-routing and it's newer road content as well as the POI file.
    Good unit for battery operation but the preloaded TOPO alone will not keep you happy IMO.

Bruce
  2. Damifino

Damifino Damn if I know Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. avrz10

avrz10 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. Damifino

Oddometer:
    I have one, it will do everything you need for adventure riding, The only drawbacks are a mini USB connector for charging port and the screen isn't all that large, it's a good rugged unit

Tracks, routes, auto routing, geocaching etc,,
  5. avrz10

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comment, I think I can live with the limitations for the price difference, I just can justify a montana for the price difference
  6. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    IMO the Montana is worth the price difference, having owned both. The major differences are the better power source and the larger screen, but the shortcuts and profiles on the Montana are also very handy.

The Oregon is a great little unit, but there may also be a few used Montanas on the market soon, once the Monterra makes its debut.
  7. Damifino

Oddometer:
    I don't know, I think it would be hard find even a used, beat up Montana for $150.

But at $150, you still have buy maps
  8. .52089

.52089 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went with the Oregon 450 today. As a limited experience and time trail rider, I saw no need for a super deluxe unit on the DR. I'll pick it up on Wednesday at the local store.
  9. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    You're right. They are more likely to be nearer $250 used. The Montana 600 was as low as $400 new at various sales like Black Friday, Boxing Day, etc, so I expect to see more prices like that especially now that there are newer models out like the Oregon 6XX series, and the soon to be released Monterra.

I figure all the low prices we're seeing on Oregon 4XX and 5XX must mean they'll be discontinued before long. Not that they are any less useful... The little Oregons really are good units.

But the 78 line is just as powerful as the Oregons, and it has the rugged 4 pin power connector. And for $200 at a number of stores including West Marine, the 78 is the best bargain out there right now.
  10. Damifino

Oddometer:
    Good, I think you will like it. Mine gets daily use as a speedometer/trip meter on my Vespa, I uee the cigarette lighter plug on a switched outlet on the scooter and it turns itself on and off with the ignition.

It has a nice selectable automotive dashboard
  11. avrz10

Oddometer:
    Ordered the Oregon today, I needed an entry level unit to see how it works out for me. If I like it or find it lacking, Ill save some bucks and invest in something else in a year or so.

I will follow up and let you know how this works out for me. I have alot to learn about using the GPS.
  12. .52089

.52089 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Open source mapping is a wonderful thing, not to mention the old Topo v8 disk I have sitting here. :evil. There are options.

Just ordered the ram cradle with ball from Overton's for under $14. Got plenty of arms and mounts here already.
  13. avrz10

Oddometer:
    GPS city will match the price of Cabelas on the oregon unit for those interested. I shot them a note this weekend and they responded. Indicated 149 was below there cost.
  14. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    Cabela's have the Garmin Oregon 550T on sale from $599.00 sale price $229.00
    it also has a 3mg camera in it.

This has just been reduced due to a new model coming out it is on other sites as well but Cabela's was the lowest I could find and a reliable company.
  15. Desert Skies

Desert Skies One brick shy...

Oddometer:
    Here too for $224, free shipping.
  16. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    Cabela's have the Garmin Oregon 550T on sale from $599.00 sale price $229.00
    it also has a 3mg camera in it.

A new model is coming out. It is also on sale in other sites but Cabela's was the lowest I could find free shipping as well.
  17. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. .52089

.52089 Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Oregon 450 and cradle came today.
    Got some rechargeable batteries too.
  19. BKMLWR

BKMLWR Wondering around...

Oddometer:
  20. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I pulled the trigger on a Garmin 62S from Cabela's for $220 last month. Well, all I have done with it since is put batteries in it, let it find the satellites, and then I turned it off. I am just so busy now, I don't know if I have the mindshare to try to figure out how to use it (only have used car gps previously), buy some topo maps (or maybe find some free ones), and find a mount for it. I would think I could get my money back out of it ($220 shipped CONUS). Someone talk me into learning how to use it or putting it in the FM!