What did you do with your Trials Bike today?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Brewtus, Dec 12, 2010.

1. LarryDawg

LarryDawg trials nut

Oddometer:
    Nickerson/Hutchinson Kansas=Cesspool of the World
    Your dad sure can ride. he makes it look easy wether its the modern bike he is riding in video or that ol TL he built up..
    LarryDawg
  2. ADVCoop

ADVCoop Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 39mm x 36mm x 20mm I mentioned in my other post is an exact measurement. So that's 39mm OD, 36mm ID, 20mm tall and the thickness is 1.5mm which is why the ID is 3mm smaller. If you can help out I would really appreciate it! The bike is dead in the water without being able to put the forks back together. I sent you a PM earlier also.
  3. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have found that machinist prefer some decimal points on the measurements. And a ± tolerance is expected as well.
  4. ADVCoop

ADVCoop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Adding non-significant digits does nothing for accuracy so why would I add a decimal with a zero after it? I used to be a drafter and have lots of experience with dimensions. As far as tolerances, it is such a tight fit I couldn't even guess on that.
  5. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Coop,

Just a suggestion, from a person that has had to find obscure parts before (not just trials)... SINCE gasgas doesn't stock it anymore, your next attempt probably be contacting some of the "dealers" or even might need to reach out to riders/dealers on the other continents. I "think" you are on Trials Central, there are guys that reply to call "xxxx" for parts I would have thought were hard/old to come by for even gasgas... Might check around those forums? I cant swear you will get satisfaction but sometimes you will find others that solved the problem, or know what might fit (there were a lot more of them old bikes overseas, I am pretty sure).

On another note, a machinist could replicate, can you get the other one off so they can measure and copy, without destroying?
  6. ADVCoop

ADVCoop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Scott Armstrong from MotoConnectionVT is actually checking with Beta in Italy to see if they have them because I guess some Beta's used the same exact forks.
  7. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    I knew you probably already started thinking what I posted, but you know I never know if it helps or not. :D Sounds like you reached someone that can help. :thumb
  8. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    don't guess, measure.

I have done a little machining, absolute hack really. Stuff I have done I was giving tolerances of ¼" on a 3" part. Just needed some metal cut back for clearance. So if you asked me to machine out your part, with no tolereance specified, like you asked for. OD of 39mm ±½mm I would feel would be in the specs. No decimal points, tolerance rounds to your diminsion. I am very sure that will NOT work for this application.

After being chewed out by some machinist friends (who are WAY better then I will ever be), I have learned to give something more then rough diminsions if I want the part to fit tight. Adding a decimal point does tighten down the fit. 39.0mm will give a range of 39.05 to 38.95 which is 1/10th the tolerance of just 39mm. Better would be to give a window, 38.95-39.00mm. A cheap digital caliper can do wonders.
    OK, enough of my machine work rant...

Yes, old bikes can be interesting to get parts for. But they are out there. I kept a Fantic 250 alive for years. I could still find new clutches without too much difficulity. About the only thing I could not touch was body parts. Try a supplier, if they don't have it ask them who might. It is a well connected community. Joe knows Bob who knows Dave who has the parts.
  9. turnsleft

turnsleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Gas Gas went to a new home. It is just the RT and me.:eek1
  10. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    Just re geared my TLR for some trail riding . And just found out there will be two vintage trials event right down the highway from me in September and November ... Even if I ain't ready I will ride it :D takin the tlr and ty175 :clap

I can't get out and ride much but I need to set up a backyard obstacle course ASAP
  11. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Not great at it yet, but learning to bunny hop... :clap

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QV0xhkLUBiw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. LarryDawg

LarryDawg trials nut

Oddometer:
    figured it would be the last time i got to ride her before i traded her off... and the fella never called or returned my messages..
    Oh well,
    I do have an extra XR200 motor and been looking for a TL125 frame to set it in...with right gearing should be a fun lil bike.
    I havent given up yet as Sheeeeiiiiiitttt happens and he usually comes through so only time will tell....
    LarryDawg
  13. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    No worries, he`s probably still trying to get the gasser to run!! Keep riding the ole 250 and having fun!!
  14. LarryDawg

LarryDawg trials nut

Oddometer:
    but sure was looking forward to gettin a new toy today!!!
    was nice day to have fun.....
    Larry
  15. ADVCoop

ADVCoop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice!

I can't wait to fix my forks so I can start riding and practicing stuff like this. In the mean time I've been finding some obstacles in my side wood lot. I'm going to annoy my neighbor below me probably but he is a grumpy old coot anyway :D .
  16. ADVCoop

ADVCoop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I was bummed yesterday when you told me he was kind of flaking out on you. Maybe he will still call you.
  17. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did some riding and some picture taking at the RITC trials school. All the top riders in New England instruct the novices in techniques upto intermediate level and demonstrate some expert level techniques.

Large Photo slideshow of yesterdays school on the NETA website: http://www.newenglandtrials.com/
  18. Bob_M

Bob_M Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bill McCormick and the RI trials club volunteers put on a great event I'd call "Trials University" in Exeter, RI yesterday.

Being taught by the top riders in New England who volunteer their time for an entire day is as good as it gets and these riders are what makes trials such a great sport. I learned quite a bit and hope I can use what I learned in the upcoming season.

You took some great pictures ESPECIALLY the ones of that orange gas gas.:lol3

What a great day we had
  19. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. LarryDawg

LarryDawg trials nut

Oddometer:
    he called me yesterday right after i took a bunch of pictures, was going to pull parts motors a part and put them on Ebay, I figured with the average prices on ebay I would make around $2500, enough to buy a modern bike and keep my TL250. I have extra TL250 motor,200xr motor and complete running Yamaha 200 trimoto... not to mention a box full of small mikuni and keihin carbs, misc. shocks etc..
    still not gettin my hopes up to high but maybe this weekend..
    Larry