Clearwater Erica?? Anyone running them ??

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by smitty141, Jan 13, 2014.

1. smitty141

smitty141 Only Pussy's die of natural causes.

Oddometer:
    Did a search, and did not find them. After last night, and 2 hours in the dark with the stock headlight I have to do something.

The Clearwater Erica are very expensive ($850.) ... But good stuff cost money, and wondering if anyone here has mounted a set on there 990??

Some pictures how you mounted them would be great.. Up high, or low,, I would like to see them.

Thanks Smitty
  2. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
  3. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
    Even if they are awesome that price is insane.

I know you're asking about the Clearwaters, but I've been very happy with cheap HID lights ($50) for road, and cheap LED lights for offroad and, when dimmed, for on road too.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607184&page=218
    (my bike is at mid page)

Now, LED lights, mine and every other lights I've seen, are almost useless with incoming traffic. If Clearwater have managed to fix that they may worth that $$$ but still ... is insane.
    If I had to do it again I would consider these, they can be aimed so you don't blind incoming traffic and still they throw lots of light with very few amp consumption
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839163

Still, the best bang for the buck IMO is the HID upgrade.
    Sorry for the thread drift :D
  4. chief_lee_visceral

chief_lee_visceral Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cyclops you are in $650 for two emitters each. The Erica has more function than the Skeen controller and six emitters each for $850. Build could not be better as the Clearwater are billet with the circuit board damped from vibration. I do not agree with the insane cost. There is nothing brighter and I want to vaporize deer.

Sorry Smitty too as I am mounting on an 1190 R crash bars as I don't have a "high" option yet. However you may be interested in doing what I will be by adding this to switch from daytime full bright with the horn trigger to nightime without. Instructions on Clearwater website.

1 x SPDT Waterproof Toggle Switch On-Off-On 16A (NTE-54-350W) = $9.40
    1 x 12VDC 40A SPDT Automotive Relay (CES-SPDT40P) = $6.39

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the mention, however your #s are quite a bit off. Not sure where you got those #s??:eek1
    The long range led setup with a skene dimmer controlled by factory ktm switches comes in at about 329.00 a set
    Our Long Range extreme race lights with a skene dimmer come in at $521 a set
    before any ADV discounts.
    both will out preform the clearwaters.
    As for HID beating out LED, that used to be very true, particularly in distance, Now that a few lights like the long Range series actually use optics, there is no comparison. On my personal 950, once the LEDs are fired up I cant even tell my HID headlight is on.
  6. chief_lee_visceral

chief_lee_visceral Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was adding mounts and tax and plus I might have over done it. Apologies.

I own your helmet light and I am grateful for your support of the Desert 100 and other NWMA events so don't get me wrong.

When I was doing my hunt for the brightest though you have 2 of the same emitters as in the Erica. The Erica has 6 emitters. What am I missing?

Edit: Answering myself... I think you are going to say optics so longer not brighter which may be better. I don't know, just know I ride over in western Montana and sometime I have to ride at night to get back to work. I will catch up with you guys at an event or something and see if I can get a demo. BTW I did not even see those "Long Range Extreme" in my hunt. IMHO your website is confusing. Would prefer to see them all on one list myself.

[​IMG]
  7. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto

How do these lights compare with the auxiliary lights sold by KTM for the 990 Adventure for $319? Thanks!
  8. nikoktm

nikoktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stuck far, far away, who knows for how long.
  9. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    I have tested a number if different led lights and the long range cyclops by far out perform most other lights and do it with a single 10w led. For rangeand price they cant be beat I now have their leds on three different bikes.

Call and tell him wht your needs are ,they will set you up with the right solution for the job.
  10. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
    PM replied. Mine are model 60 and they put an insane (I'm using a lot that word in this thread) amount of light, but I wish the light were more focused and had more reach. Overall I've been happy with them but today there may be better options...
    Dunno about the KTM lights, I think they are re-branded Trail Tech leds, that's all I know

As I said, I would take a look at Off Road Ryder lights, low amp consumption and long range. If they were smaller in size they will be perfect to me, but there is no free lunch and I guess an small size wouldn't have the right optics...
  11. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    Thanks for the info. :clap
  12. drued

drued Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had the Clearwater Glendas on my 950 and was satisfied with them. I have the Kristas on my 990 and are way more than satisfied. I keep them turned down with the low beams and they do not bother oncoming traffic yet they are very visible. On high beams, they go to full power and they wash out the headlight. They are great. I do not have experience with the Ericas. I purchased the Kristas before they ever made Ericas, otherwise I would have gotten them.
    As I said, I am very pleased with the Kristas. Also, they are made in Rancho Cordova, Ca and they make good on their warranty. I had a light go out due to water getting in a circuit board. Since they are only an hour and a half away, I rode there and they replaced the circuit board and the wires because they no longer used the connector that originally came on the lights, but had upgraded to a more waterproof connector. I have had no more problems since then. And yes I ride in all types of weather.