XR 650 R Rally Fairing for acerbis sahara tank

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by kenaroo, May 18, 2007.

1. kenaroo

kenaroo I am because i ride

Oddometer:
    Updated 5/2/2015
    644422_10204167994785738_2606762367807038647_n.jpg UP DATE 2/26/15:

version 3.0 in production PM me if you need more information

Partnering with Perfect Fairings for the new build.. I will be developing the Proto types for rally fairngs and they will build the production units.

Contact Dimitris Aidonis at Perfect Fairings to order.

http://www.perfect-fairings.com/en/home

Or see his thread on this forum

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898045

Molds are ready ,navi towers ready and also LED lights arrived!

Prices :

Front fairing 3 pieces (fiberglass) : 400 euro
    Navi tower with weld on tab (included) : 300 euro
    standard LED lights pair (square- 9-36v-20w-2500l) : 150 euro

Shipping worldwide : free for forum members!

EXTRA :

Fairing carbon fiber : 650 euro
    only the sides -carbon fiber : 250 euro
    Lower fender -preparing- : 180 euro

not included
    frame tab (welded or forward mount scotts adapter) see this post regarding this install http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26666928&postcount=233
    roadbook/ odo rally sub frame

More information regarding these fairings.

• Please note these very important items!
    • We sell an unfinished unpainted product, it is your responsibility to sand, finish, and paint the parts you buy from us.
    • The parts we sell are un-drilled; it is your responsibility to drill all of the mounting holes and fit the parts onto your chassis.
    • All of our parts may or may not include the internal mounting
    • Please consult with our sales representative if you have any questions about mounting things like headlights and dashes.
    • It is the purchasers responsibility to mount all of the products they purchase onto their machine.
    This means there is some fine tuning and possible fab work on your side to install.. My fairings are formed directly from my motorcycle.. You will have to tweak the fairing

to your bike. If you are uncomfortable with the installation of this faring yourself. Please consult myself or a local builder for a professional build.

-----------------------------end of update--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Custom fabricated Rally fairing for the Honda XR650R Year 2000 to 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2vR0NdR1Ac

Unit is 3 piece a light weight fiberglass Fairing with a smooth gel coat finish.

Lighting is OEM KTM 950/990 adventure headlight.. NOT included (you must source)

Front fairing is a 3 layer built unit for strength
    Side wings are 2 layer build up for weight savings . Specially overlaped on the tank to help protect from crashes, Cacti and branches that could damage the tank.

Mounting:
    all units come with stainless steel bolt with nylon and stainless washer kits

Mounting braket options:
    Weld on mounting tab.

Bolt on tab

Color options:
    Unit to come in solid color Red to closely match tank.
    Custom colors on request at an additional cost.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here is the break down of price:
    • 3 piece fairing: $350
    • Sub frame for fairing $300
    • Frame bracket (to receive sub frame) options:
    1. FREE: weld on mount: I'll supply drawings.. you fab and have welded to steering tube: I can also provide the weld on tab for $50 if you don't want to fab yourself but you need to have someone weld it on.

OR

2. Bolt on frame mount $350 scotts under the bar forward post with sub frame mount
    (this is a modified scotts forward mount post included in price) this unit has to be bolted to head tube and requires removal of forks and steering stem. requires drilling into the head tube.

here is all the parts and costs
    • KTM 990 Eruo head light $200 (you source) (used u.s. models can be picked up for $60 here on Advrider in parts for sale forum)
    • 3 piece fairing $350
    • sub frame $300
    • frame mount $50 -$350 (see options above)
    So... if your considering this unit.. Your Total budget for this unit: $900-$1200 + shipping depending on frame mount..

If you have questions and want to talk to me on the phone. shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to discuss the unit, pricing and how to assemble.

thanks
    Ken
  2. mattybag

mattybag Parrothead/Singlespeeder

Oddometer:
    Ken:
    Looks great. When we talked about fairings in Caliente for the XRs last year I just thought this would be a pipe dream but you've done an awesome job. This may be the deal that gets me to keep my XR.

Do you have pictures of the mounting system for the fairing and lights? Are you using a weld on bracket or carrying it off the Scotts post? I'm assuming a weld on bracket would make it stronger to carry a roadbook or GPS. Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Matt
  3. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wonder if it'd fit the Acerbis tank for the 450/525 KTM's? Obviously, I'd have to fab up my own supports, but... :dunno

Very nice looking job, BTW.
  4. kenaroo

Oddometer:
    Matt:

I'm using the weld on mount for my bike. I just took it to my fabricator an he did a great job welding it on. It's very simular to the solid mounts HRC is using on their baja race bikes to hold the dual head lamps.
    I also have a design for a bolt on that looks like it will support a lot of weight using the scotts forward post. the fairing did very well on a ride we call the TexMex 500 (two days 500 miles) here in texas.

I'm not opposed of sending you the sheet metal drawings for the mounts since I know you have a fab shop close to you that could bend and machine the mounts yourself.

Shoot me a PM with your phone # and I'll call you to discuss special NRE pricing for you.

5. kenaroo

Oddometer:

Neduro: the center fairing is made for universal fit on other bikes but the side fairing are custom fit for the Sahara tank.

I'm looking for riders here in the Austin or Surrounding areas that have bikes with these rally tanks so that I can make templates of for additional applications.

I can also talk you through forming your own side fairings if intersted. Nice little weekend project.

pm me your info if you want to talk more in depth of getting one fabed for your bike.

Ken
  6. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    Ken,

I followed the development thread, and man, the finished product looks awesome! :thumb

Is there a "cover"/stone protector for the headlight opening? And could you comment on the effectiveness of the recommended Hella's for night riding?

You've got me dreamin' about the possibilities for my KTM 620 now...

(And I think if you made an application for a DR650 with IMS tank, you'd be tapping a goldmine)
  7. XR6MOTO

XR6MOTO Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Great job, the look awesome! :clap

What's going to be the cost for the painted pieces & are they made to mate only w/the Acerbis Sahara tank?
  8. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    bump for ya, and a couple of questions???

How is the production going? how many have you sold?
  9. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    You've done a really nice job with this.

Is the fairing doing a pretty good job of redirecting wind away from the rider?

It looks like the fairing is angled awefully far forward. Any particualr reason for that? Could you snap a picture from the side, so I could get a better idea of the angle it's at?

I'm also curious about the mounting options and what the whole thing looks like from the rider's perspective. More screen captures of CAD drawing and pictures would be awesome.
  10. kenaroo

Oddometer:
    The progression of this project with pictures can be seen at the link below.

http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/members/album207?page=1

the mounting drawings were a concept desing to work off the Scotts foward mount post. there are two more options to go with.. a weld on mount and a bolt on mount. any and all of these mounting options are custom set up per customer request. Many have just design and fab their own frame mount and modified the fairing brackets to fit.

of course I will help or provide you with more specific drawings and designs after purchase of fairing.
  11. gotdurt

gotdurt Flatulent Fellow

Oddometer:
    How are you attaching the lowers to the tank?

I'm in the Austin area (leander), and I have a DR650 with an IMS tank, if you'd like to look at it. Unfortunately, I'm not financially in the market for a fairing right now, but would love to see one developed for the DR, so I'd be willing to help out.

Can you do custom work based loosely on an OEM unit? My dad has an NX650 that the plastic has become brittle on, then he dropped it, cracking the fairing pretty bad in places. Not sure what he's willing to spend, but he's also talked about putting a larger XR600/650L tank on it, which wouldn't work with the existing fairing...
  12. kenaroo

Oddometer:
    The Acerbis tank has pem inserts in the tank that comes from the factory..

I would love to take a look at your DR with the big tank.. I definately can fab a fairing for it.

I can also take a mold of your dads NX and make a replacement..

Sent you a PM with my #

13. lstzephyr

lstzephyr Solo con rambo

Oddometer:
    I'm definetly interested in what happens with all this. I'd love to buy one, I just have to chose a bike first. Its between a dr and a xr so having both would be a big plus. I bet there would be a market for drs as well. I see the biggest problem for most people is price however I doubt it could be done much cheaper. Keep on keeping on.
  14. ratz

ratz Ratz

Oddometer:
  15. gotdurt

gotdurt Flatulent Fellow

Oddometer:
  16. Jim Rowley

Jim Rowley Rise above

Oddometer:
    I'll take one.

Jim.
  17. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    :tb

Now, someone get him a Katoom so when I get a 525EXC, he'll have the fairing waiting! :mrskbasa

:D

M
  18. Jim Rowley

Jim Rowley Rise above

Oddometer:
    950 Adventure headlight assembly sent yesterday. :evil

Jim.
  19. pkraemer

pkraemer n00b

Oddometer:
    I've been looking for someone who does custom rally fairing fabrication, and your work looks great!

Unfortunately, I've got a DRZ400 but 'll shoot you a PM and maybe we can figure something out.
  20. pkraemer

pkraemer n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Ken,

I really like what you've done with the XR 650 R rally fairing you've fabricated - the setup looks great.

I've been looking for someone who provides these kind of fabrication services, and I'm hoping you can help me out with my DRZ400. I'm planning to install a 4.0 gal IMS tank, and I'd like to fit it with a rally fairing similiar to the one you've put together for the XR 650 R.

I noticed in your post that you were looking for other applications to base your fabrications on, and I'm hoping you'll be willing to go through the exercise with me and my DRZ. Unfortunately, I'm anything but local (I live in Toronto, Canada) but I'm thinking with the internet, some planning, and accurate measurements, this should be something we could tackle remotely. I'm willing to take lots of pictures and measurements, and I'd even be prepared to send you the tank and lights to fabricate the side fairing pieces around. It sounds like the mounting system and center fairing might be universal, with only the side panels requiring custom fitting.

Anyways, please let me know if you're interested in this kind of project.

Thanks,
    Paul