KTM 950/990 Adventure owners show off your bike

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by dgrs2, Dec 17, 2004.

1. liferider

liferider Never It's enough

Oddometer:
    BrooklynOR, great catch!
    I'm happy for you, but me... impossible to keep that clock with just 1040 miles in 7 years... I couldn't do you that favor :rofl

May be it's a good idea to check the tires, no for the use but for the possibly expired over-dryed rubber?
    These are no light beasts and they perform high speeds you know...

ride it, ride it, ride it...
    Cheers.

2. liferider

liferider Never It's enough

Oddometer:
    Guys, the previous owner had installed an upgrade for the stock lights, may be Xenon as he told me, and it's not connected so the lights are European Spec since I bought it.
    Soon I will have some time to check what really is that black box on the left of the stock lights and I'm sure I will neeed your already posted info and your merciful help for a noob as well... :D

Cheers!

3. BrooklynOffRoader

BrooklynOffRoader Slab or the Dirt.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion liferider. I guess i should have checked 500 miles ago. Rubber looks fine IMO. But I will install knobbies soon.
    Previous owner did suggest I get the carb cleaned but 500 mi later I haven't had any problems.
  4. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    Duh.

:baldy

I picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue.
  5. Narsisco Lopez

Narsisco Lopez Addlepated

Oddometer:

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7WAwuSK36Gw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7WAwuSK36Gw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  6. bikerbilly

bikerbilly throwing a leg over

Oddometer:
    Hi mate,

how do you find the seat?
  7. vfrpilot

vfrpilot Stress Relief Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Firm.....
    It's not soft by any means. But that being said, it's not uncomfortable. I like it but I'm sure it's not for everybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Brokein2

Brokein2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I had bad Hemorrhoids, I just stopped riding....butt I see you have found a way around that. :clap

In all honesty I have been wondering how those seats were...now I know. Thanks
  9. srad600

srad600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been wondering about these seats myself. I know the split seats are great on a road/mtn. bike, but I've been curious how they held up/felt on a "Big" bike.
  10. bikerbilly

bikerbilly throwing a leg over

Oddometer:
    do you notice any difference with the gap down the centre? I usually end up getting sore around the coxics area( ha ha I know) and wondered if that seat might help...

cheers, Bill..
  11. amanlikemike

amanlikemike Recovering Speedfreak

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Just bagged this healthy-looking, 47,000-:huh-mile, 2010 specimen (sans fugly luggage, of course!) from the good people at Dubbelju Motorcycle Rentals (if you know anyone who wants to borrow a proper bike for a tour out of NorCal, Wolfgang's your man), via our mates at Scuderia West in SF.

Now commencing Project 990 'KDV' in earnest... :evil

[​IMG]

OK. So, she may well be a high-mileage, former working girl, which means she'll no-doubt have experienced more than her fair share of club-footed gearshift and cack-handed throttle abuse during her time on the streets. But equally, it also suggests that she's unlikely to have suffered too much of a beating at the hands of aggressive off-road riders. And she's been rigorously maintained by the top techs at Scuderia. So, by my [currency-based] logic at least, the bike's only just run in:rofl.

And anyhoo, I fully intend to see 200k+ on the clock at some point. So, if I didn't think it'd still be on-form after a measly 47,000, then I wouldn't have bought a 990 in the first place. Regardless of the odo reading.

Plus, the price was right :D. Which freed up more funds for... Yup! You guessed it...

F-F-F-F-FARKLES! :deal

With a little (lot of) help from the most excellent peeps at Scuderia West / KTMTWINS.com; Black Dog Cycle Works, CJ Designs; Super Plush Suspension and Crispy Designs (the first four of whom co-incidentally also happen to be long-serving members of the 'Kriega Krewe'), a loooong list of upgrades are already emptying my wallet.

To avoid duplicating posts, I'm gonna be chronicling the work-in-progress over in the 'What Did You Do To Your KTM Today' thread, but will whack some shots up here once she's ready to be shown off... then ridden hard and put away wet!

In the meantime, here's what I've got thus far: Crispy's first draft of the custom livery.

There are a few basic corrections to make and other options to try out before it's where I want it, but I do like where it's headed&#8230;

[​IMG]

There's been a lot of lurking, geeking out, planning and perving over other people's machines (largely facilitated by the awesomeness of the OC community :clap) - not to mention working my ass off to make this bike happen, but now it's time to jump right in with both feet. Thanks for all the superb information, inspiration and camaraderie. It makes me proud not only to be a fellow Inmate, but also to now have acquired your taste for / obsession with the Orange Crush.

Cheers,

Michael
  12. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Congrats Michael!!

Are you coming out here to get it?
  13. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately not, mate. Original idea was to do a fly/ride, but unless I can supply a Bill Of Loading for getting it trucked out of CA, I get hammered for sales tax there and when I register it in NOLA. Which sucks, but there you go...
  14. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Bummer.
  15. avocadofarmer

avocadofarmer Fruit Coot

Oddometer:
    No reason for sales tax here as it is collected when you register the bike at the DMV.
  16. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recently did something similar on my recent bike purchase and an earlier new car purchase.

On the bike, the sales tax was waived in Washington State- I signed an agreement that I was transporting the bike with intent to register it in CA. The dealer (it was a demo) provided a 3 day transit permit for WA state. I was supposed to (in theory) check in with DMV in Oregon and CA for permits when I rode the bike home, but I forgot. I also forgot the permit lasted only a few days on my extended ride home. I also failed to maintain the permit in a visible position, and failed to keep it from falling off on the day of its expiry.

I paid sales tax only here in CA.

IIRC, I paid sales tax in AZ when I bought the car, and then was given credit for that amount when I registered the car in CA- CA taxes were (guess?) higher.
  17. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Thing is, because the dude who owns the rental company buys and sells a fair few bikes, he's classed as a dealer and therefore has to charge sales tax if the machine is used in CA.

That's how it was explained to me and I trust them, but there could be crossed wires and with me being a relatively recent Limey transplant to the US, I don't know any better! :huh
  18. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    :clap Like your style, FakeName.

If I played it by the book it seems I'd get hit for CA sales tax at 9%, then another 9% in LA, but get a
    5% credit back. So, over all I'd apparently be looking at 13% on the end.

I got somewhat forgetful in relation to taking a US bike licence test, myself. So, think I'll sort that out before I forget anything else! :lol3
  19. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I played motohooky this afternoon and went for a rip on the 950. I needed the break from cabin fever.
    It was 56 deg (13c) today but we will be back down to 19 deg (-7c) as a high on Saturday so I had to do it.

Every corner within a 10 mile radius of my place now has a stripe drawn through it.
    I feel better :ricky

[​IMG]

Also diggin' the new front rim done by woodys. I ran it up over 100 and it was rock solid/smooth as silk.
    :freaky
  20. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    THAT might be more of a problem. As I recall, they verified my M1 status on my driver (that's driving to ferners) license.

Is this a private party purchase? You might just buy it and take it straight to LA for registration.

And a big bowl of gumbo.

Some etouffee.

Fried Okra.

Fried Oysters.

Eggs Sardou.

Pralines.

And a few Sazeracs.