F800GS Gas Mileage: What Ya Gettin'?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by robhar54, Nov 22, 2008.

1. daveo987

daveo987 n00b

Oddometer:
    800gs
    Last weekend, ran 124 miles 70-80mph temp around 50-55 & used 3.65Gal (reserve light was on)
    Later in day ran 92 miles 70-80mph temp in 65-75 & used 2gal
    Best ever , mostly downhill running 15-25mph & (neutral) temp 70+ got 67 for a gal.

Mileage is all over the place, I try to find fuel stops every 100 miles.
  2. m5guy

m5guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    800GS with a Cee Bailey windscreen. Getting 45-47mpg with mostly freeway/highway riding. Speeds normally range between 60mph-75mph.
  3. speed_racer

speed_racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure what the calculation is but, over here in aust.

I get average 5.1-5.6 litres per 100km during commuting (Depending on if I'm late ill give it a bit more)
    Freeway at constant 100km/h it drops to 3.5 to 4litres.

This is a F650gs with no bag or anything, just me.. how many miles do you get from full to the reserve light coming on? I get about 220km's - 136miles.
  4. stege

stege Wonderer

Oddometer:
    I'm getting around 300km until fuel light comes on. According to OBC, mileage is around 55-60mpg.
    In 5th gear, at 90kmph, the OBC reports 70 - 80 mpg. If ridden hard, mpg drops to ~35mpg
  5. XTrooper

XTrooper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Retired and living in the mountains of NE PA
    Average over the last 2200 miles of mostly two-lane, rural roads is 49 mpg. Vario side cases always on and usually loaded.
  6. grndzr0

grndzr0 its Ground Zero

Oddometer:
    I usually get in the mid 40's running my caribou cases at about 85mph

If I slow down, I can get it over 50

Going through Yellowstone last fall, From Cooke City to Jackson Hole, I got about 64MPG!!! Wife got in the low 70s with her 658. Thats what 45mph all day will do... I kept wanting to stop for gas, but gauge wasnt going down, I thought it was broken. Then when I filled up, wasn't even near empty!!

Ryan
  7. Pangia

Pangia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Units: Miles per US gallons
    Trip Meter: 85 miles
    Rider: 6' 180 lbs
    Luggage: None
    Windscreen: Stock
    Exhaust: Stock
    Riding Conditions: 80% Forest Service Dirt Roads, 10% Asphalt, 10% Single Track & Jeep Roads, 100% beautiful New Mexico sky. Not shy on the throttle.

Results of short 85 mile ride: 42.5 mpg according to the 2 gallons it took me to refuel. If I took it easy on the throttle...less fun but probably better MPG. I'll have to try it sometime...:rofl
  8. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    So far fuel economy ranges from 55 MPG to 64 MPG, two up.
  9. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Variables:
    Odometer: 2830 miles
    Rider: 69 inches, 140 lbs
    Luggage: tank bag
    Exhaust: Factory stock
    Riding Conditions: Fast dirt road, graded gravel 64 miles per gallon.
    Pavement, FAST travel 56 miles per gallon, including a long run at the rev limiter in top gear.
  10. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Firstly: How did you get a 2103 model already? :rofl
    Secondly: How the hell are you getting such high mileage? How are you doing your calculations?
  11. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    Filling the fuel tank up all the way, on the sidestand..
    Dividing the Trip Odometer mileage by the number of gallons pumped..
    So far, the trip odometer is pretty accurate compare to the posted miles between cities.
    My overall average on a weekend trip to Dawson City, YT was just a hair over 58 miles per gallon... and I ride FAST.
  12. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haven't posted on this thread before. 2010 800GS, white, Jesse panniers, TT fairing, running in the 4k RPM range. Doing back roads dirt and pave, mountain twisties and some highway. HighTechCoonass booster ECM plug. Fill up with bike on sides stand and fill very full each time. Occasional use of either SeaFoam or Techron.

Until last year lived in the Denver area and mileage was about 58 or so. Not heavy on the throttle so that helped some.

Moved to Durango area and have been running 91 octane non-ethanol gas and with same type riding am getting a consistent 72 - 78 miles per gallon. Sometimes ride home from station and then put on a short ride of about 65 miles or so and then hit the station again and barely even able to get a gallon in the tank.
  13. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    The '13 models are available in stores NOW.
    Mine was built in December of 2012
    . Fuel mileage calculation is the same as for the Buell, KLR, and several other motorized gasoline burning vehicles
  14. SOP Dirt-Rider

SOP Dirt-Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding through Wyndoming and Uwindtah twice the low fuel light came on at 107 miles. Loaded from the COBDR doing 75-80 mph. Rough trip for sure.
    If anyone ever says the F8 has more power than a sane person can ever use? I just knew someone stole a cyclinder.
  15. Pangia

Pangia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2013 F800GS / 59.3 MPG:freaky
    Trip Meter: 162 miles
    Rider: 6' 170 lbs + 20 lbs gear
    Luggage: 15 lbs.
    Exhaust: Scorpion
    Altitude: 6,000 to 7,000 feet
    Riding Conditions: 85% Dirt Roads, 15% Asphalt, 100% beautiful New Mexico sky. Not shy on the throttle on the way home.

I am surprised!! A ride I took months ago was 42 MPG - albeit much rougher, enduro-ish terrain. Maybe the 2013 is breaking in?? I just hit about 1600 miles. Maybe just easier roads...maybe I'm smoother on the throttle...don't know. I'm just happy knowing that if I had to, I could probably count on 50 MPH taking it easy on dirt roads.
  16. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    I am always amazed at how g0od the mileage is on this bike. In my usual mixed riding of ATV trails and gravel roads I always get between 4.3 and 5 l/100km. That is 54 to 47 mpg for US gallons. ANd that always includes some first gear slogging and lots of 3rd gear trails.
  17. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    I've had the bike for almost 5 years now, with just a hair over 52,000 miles on the clock, riding in just about any kind of conditions you can imagine. I've kept track of every fill up with a little app on my iPhone, and after 50,000 miles I dumped the numbers into a spreadsheet to create this chart.

[​IMG]

The best mileage I ever got was 63.27 mpg (while riding along the Continental Divide, at low speed and high altitude), which would have given me a theoretical range of about 265 miles, or 426 km.

The worst I ever got was 36.30 mpg. I can't remember where that was, but I'm guessing it was somewhere out in the desert, riding into a fierce headwind with Caribou panniers mounted, and wringing the poor thing's neck. That tank would have only given me 152 mi./244 km.
  18. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    An iPhone app eh.......I was startin to think you have waay too much time on your hands.

I didn't buy the F800 for it's fuel economy. Which is probably just as well.

Fully loaded with wife and camping gear I could get better mileage from my Japanese AWD SUV.....well....it's pretty damn close.

But it aint half as much fun.
  19. duffs

duffs I have a beard

Oddometer:
    Alone at constant 70mph and only the topbox I've see as good as 75mpg (UK) with a tailwind... Fully loaded, 2 up with panniers filled with camping gear + waterproof bags strapped on top, I've had as low as 38mpg uphill into the wind during a rainstorm. According to the onboard computer I average 49mpg when only commuting in London and around 60mpg on long journeys. Can't complain, for its size and how it performs - it's not a world away from what people get slogging/bagging on a 125cc scooter, and far better than I ever got on a 4-cylinder Honda Hornet.
  20. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Umm... I have a 2013. Or did you not notice my sig line?
    I was referring to the fact he stated a 2103 model in his subject line. I guess you missed that too. :rofl