ride every bike, every day in December....in New England

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by OSJ, Dec 12, 2011.

1. OSJ

OSJ Formally DunkinDuck

Oddometer:
    I have the whole month of December off...well unless it snows then this is what I work in...
    [​IMG]

But seeing we had a nice 12 inch storm back in October I figured mother nature might give me a good December to get some miles in. I challenged some friends on a local message board to have someone ride every day in December..then I figured why not put my money where my mouth was and do it myself. Plus Im a tag-a-holic so it makes it really easy to find any excuse to go out and snag a tag.

So off we go!

Day 1 12/1- I lied, had some work to do today but I rode the KLR in and snagged a Santa tag along the way
    [​IMG]

Day 2- 12-2- Short ride around town, This location has been used on the ADV MA tag folder before
    [​IMG]

Day 3- 12/3- Another local riding day...weather has been good for riding, however spending the last few days with Mrs Clause finishing our shopping for the kids.
    [​IMG]

Day 4- 12/4- Looking for something that starts with "E" for the first letter and last letter tag game here on ADV. I found this...

[​IMG]
  2. OSJ

OSJ Formally DunkinDuck

Oddometer:
    Day 5- 12/5 Monday.

Todays weather looks to be in the mid 50's and sunny. Mrs OSJ wants to ride with me today. But first we need to drop off her Mazda CX-9 for some service. I follow her out on the Ducati than we start our ride from the dealership.

I planned a route out on the computer the night before. We were to snag a few hard tags today. First one was ADV MA tag in Hopedale. We arrived after following the route on many new roads.

[​IMG]

From here we rode back north toward a nice little shop that Mrs OSJ likes in Grafton center. I hung outside while she did some stocking shopping.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Michelle knows to how to pack that bike with what ever she may find...

[​IMG]

The weather was certainly warm for the 5th of December. Neither one of us had heated gear on. I was a perfect way to spend a Monday together.

Our next stop was to place the ADV tag, plus I know it would be a great place to stop for a quick visit.

[​IMG]

The guys at Ural Of New England are very nice every time we stop in. These bikes seem like so much fun...even to just sit on and snap photos

[​IMG]

They also have some really cool cars inside..as well as a very clean and classy showroom.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This dealership is located in Boxborough MA, a town that the ADV tag has not seen yet....so I dropped it here for someone to figure out. It didn't take long for later that night Thomas Rizzo snagged it up..see his shot here

By this time we were getting a little hungry. And as luck would have it our next stop would be killing two birds with one stone. Lunch and tag!

The NER MA tag was left in Berlin, and a small country store. Ken & Pam left it there a week earlier and had said they made some tasty sammies. Berlin was just down the road, so off we went. I did take the long way thru Stow on some twisty back roads that Ive been riding on for many years.

We arrive just before noon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Michelle orders our lunch, while I place the tag using my droid x phone. I put the new location at the Ural dealership as well. In the back of the store they have a few tables set up, so we relax a bit and enjoy our lunch.

Michelle gets tortellini soup and chicken salad wrap
    [​IMG]

while I get a grilled dog with corn chowder

[​IMG]
    and yes it was very good!

after lunch was done and the tags posted we hit the road. Michelle's car was done and we needed to head back toward Shrewsbury to pick it up. I took some familiar back roads thru Berlin, Boylston and finally to Shrewsbury.

I dropped Michelle off at the dealership around 2:30 pm, then I took the long way home. Only totaled 121 miles for the day, but seeing it was December 5th and close to 60 degrees..I will take that any day!
    [​IMG]
  3. OSJ

OSJ Formally DunkinDuck

Oddometer:
    Day 6 12/6
    only did about 80 miles today...started off in the Rain...than sun..then finished off in the rain
    [​IMG]

Went out looking for Sheep and a National Wildlife Refuge
    But found some...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then finally..
    [​IMG]

Got a chuckle out of this sign in their window...
    [​IMG]

I did find my NWR as well...
    [​IMG]

Then took Mrs OSJ out to lunch at the Dogfather in Worcester were we got interrupted by this guy assaulting the old man driving the black Toyota..my adrenaline kicked in and I ran over to get in between them, much to Mrs OSJ's dismay...I couldn't sit and watch a old man get beat on..
    [​IMG]

So the story goes like this..we are sitting eating our hot dogs when I notice that Chevy pull over really fast across the street from us. Right behind him was a black Toyota pickup. The Chevy driver gets out and runs back to the old guy drive the toyota..just as he gets to him he starts swinging punches. The old guy gets back into his truck and the Chevy guy starts punching the window.

After a few punches he kicks the door then walks back to his truck. He puts it in reverse and try to ram the Toyota, however the Toyota backs up rather quickly. Then the truck pulls forward back into the road and is now first in line at the stop sign you see in the above photo. The Toyota is right behind him.

Then all of a sudden the Chevy lights up the rear wheels, does a complete donut in the road and heads straight for the black toyota..head on. I hop out of the truck and I miss seeing the Toyota backing up hitting the car behind him trying to avoid getting hit from the front.

When I get around the corner of my truck the Chevy guy is out and running toward the old guy in the Toyota. Who was getting out to talk with the women he hit behind him. Several women had pulled over and were in the process of calling the police.

The look on that guys face was scary, but I knew the old guy wouldn't be able to defend himself. I wasn't sure I would do much better but I could just watch what was going to happen. Luckily it didn't get worse...I held him back a few times and kept pushing him back toward his truck. Believe it or not he was talking calmly to me, but still screaming at the old guy calling him every name in the book, and kept trying to get around me to him.

This was all happening in the middle of the road, traffic was everywhere. Then all of a sudden he just ran back to his truck and took off. 10 seconds later the cops showed up. One cop took off after him and pulled him over about 2 miles up the road.

We hung out with the old guy for a short while and made a statement to the police, then I finished my hot dog and brought Michelle back to work.

After all that I came home and decorated Frank the mailman for the holiday season
    [​IMG]
  4. OSJ

OSJ Formally DunkinDuck

Oddometer:
    DAY 7 12/7

Today was a nasty cold rainy day. I didn't go far today, just down the road to snag a tag on the ADV wildcard tag folder.

I did get the DR out of the shed all thats left that hasn't been out in December in the scrambler...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. OSJ

OSJ Formally DunkinDuck

Oddometer:
    Day 8 -12/8

I was nervous about this day. The rain we got on Day 7 had a chance of turning to snow over night. My area was right on the snow/rain line, so I was happy to wake up to just wet pavement.

The KLR needed to go to Northbridge to my buddy's shop Trinity Auto Sales, Bill the owner rides and works on bikes as well. I had a new set of tires that needed to be put on. It was a little icy in the morning so I put the KLR in the trailer for the 40 min ride to Northbridge. I left the bike with Bill and I planned on having Mrs OSJ bring me back down later in the day and I would ride it home.

The issue is I forgot to bring my gear down with me. And it was COLD when I got to Northbridge late in the day. Thankfully Bill had an extra jacket and gloves for me to borrow for the ride home. I was cold so I took the direct way home...almost that is. A 10 mile detour brought me to Mancaug MA for a post office tag.

[​IMG]
  6. OSJ

OSJ Formally DunkinDuck

Oddometer:
    Day 9 12/9

Had a great day today..went for Doctors appointment this morning...then Mrs OSJ bought me breakfast, so I went shopping with her for most of the day...got a few new movies at MotoMarket and some nice reading material

Then she tells me to go and spend a few hrs on the bike while she runs the kids to their dr appointments....man I love that women!

MA ADV tag in Harvard..
    [​IMG]

Replaced it with this location in Lancaster MA.
    [​IMG]
  7. OSJ

OSJ Formally DunkinDuck

Oddometer:
    Day 10- 12/10

Saturdays and Sundays can be the hardest day for me to get out. With 4 kids at home the weekends can be clogged with too many things to do. I figured it would be a quick ride today. I was surprised to hear Mrs OSJ wanted to come out with me. Seeing I was taking the KLR and the sun had disappeared late in the day. It felt cold, and seemed like snow was in the air.

We didn't go too far. The current ADV wildcard tag was a comic themed business. I knew of just the place to go.

[​IMG]

Mrs OSJ's brother in a Carpenter obsessed with Marvin the Martian..Then down the road to warm up just a bit.

[​IMG]

The current wild card tag on ST.N was a sunset, so Mrs OSJ had me bring her home and I went a few towns over to a nice overlook facing west.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. OSJ

OSJ Formally DunkinDuck

Oddometer:
    Day 11- 12/11

Today wasnt much of a ride. I had to help Mrs OSJ with some work at my office, then I wanted to come home relax and watch the Pats game. Ive missed the last 3 games so I was really looking forward to just staying on the couch. The kids all had something going on, and Mrs OSJ went shopping so I had the day to myself!

I did ride the KLR in the am to meet up with Mrs OSJ, only 1 photo today
    [​IMG]
  9. OSJ

OSJ Formally DunkinDuck

Oddometer:
    Day 12 -12/12

remember when I said I had the whole month of December off? Well, thats not entirely true..you see I own a small fertilizing company and usually come December I'm done for the season. Even though I don't work out in the field thru the winter it can be a busy time for me. This is the time I do all my contracts and send them out to my customers. Almost 90% of my customer base is prepaid, and almost all that money comes in by mid February so it is also when I have the most money in the bank.

So I try to spend at least 2 days a week in the office...today was one of those days.

[​IMG]

I have a small office and shop on the other side of town. That way work does not follow me home.

Its also the place I store most of my motorcycles...see this door...

[​IMG]

It opens up to my garage...today I have the KLR and Ducati stored in there. While I'm siting at my desk I keep glancing over to the door. Its a big tease!

I know at some point I will need to hop on one of those bikes and ride. I had planned on just riding home after a full day of doing paper work.

That plan fell apart around 11ish!

[​IMG]

I had to mail some bills, stop at the bank and run a few other odd ball errands. I could have taken the big red truck..but instead I took....

[​IMG]

After my errands were done I realized the growling in my belly was due to the time...

Lunch time!

I was craving a whitey hot dog from one of my favorite hot dog trucks...The Dogfather

I was very disappointed to ride by his location to find an empty parking lot! Whats a fat guy to do?

Well first off I needed to snag a tag from the First letter is the last letter game. Which was "R"

I drove by this guy and just had to get a good photo of him
    [​IMG]

I was starting to feel a little guilty that I was on the bike and not working behind the computer. I decided that I needed to get back to the office and continue my work. A quick stop at a great little bagel shop in Holden
    [​IMG]

I brought my lunch back with me, a very tasty garlic bagel with veggie cream cheese, a awesome half sour pickle and some good ole coke!
    [​IMG]

I spent the rest of the day working behind the computer..I checked on the bikes a few times, but managed to get allot of work done!

10. OSJ

OSJ Formally DunkinDuck

Oddometer:
    Day 13- Tuesday Dec 13th

Fudge day. If your a parent you know how this goes. Kids these days have to raise money for almost everything they want to do with school projects or trips. Unlike when us old guys were younger. So several times a year at least one of my 4 girls are selling something to raise alittle money. This time it was Grace selling fudge to help fund her chorus club travel to a competition in the spring.

Like all the past fundraisers that have been done I've always offered the same deal, buy from my kids and I will deliver the goods. Plus it always gives me a chance to ride my motorcycle. Today was delivery day for the fudge.

First stop was Bill Gifford at Trinity Auto Sales. Bill is a great guy, and he always has some cool motorcycles in his shop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After chatting with Bill for a bit I got back on the road. My next stop was in Franklin MA, Ken and Pam had ordered a few boxes of the stuff. I just put the address in the gps and let the magic box lead the way. Via shortest distance so I took me down some nice back roads.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ken and Pam greeted me outside on such a lovely Tuesday afternoon in December. Than took me inside to check out their Christmas tree!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now little back story on these two. I've gotten to know them thru the NER message board. They both ride their own bike and they love to ride. I over heard Pam say she was over 13,000 mile for this year. Many of those miles were done chasing tags. If there happens to be an open tag on a Monday night, than you know but Tuesday afternoon you will see a smiling face sitting on a fat boy parked in front of it. Ken is the photographer in the family :lol3
    [​IMG]

I didn't hang with them too long, had to get on the road and head southeast, Westport to be exact. But first I needed to stop for some lunch and visit a new store I had heard about.

Smart Moto was started by a former employee at Razee Motorcycle dealership. My buddy Burbs had purchased a few items from him and recommended I stop by.
    [​IMG]

I didn't buy anything today, and forgot to take a photo of Jason, but I will be back with my checkbook soon.

Next door to him was a little deli that had a really good sammie for me. A BLT with a heap of thick cut ham!
    [​IMG]

After my belly was full I got back on the highway and made my way to the next drop off!

Gerry and Lucy live in a beautiful section of that town (Westport) and have a really, REALLY cool house. I wish I took more photos
    [​IMG]

I said my goodbyes to Lucy once she got her fudge...and no Lucy I will not tell anyone you didn't have your shoes on for that photo! :D

My plan was to cut thru RI and head down to Newport to snag the current ADV tag, than head over to Narragansett to grab the NER tag. I stopped here to check out the route and to see what time I would be home.
    [​IMG]

Turns out I didn't have time to do this. Had to get home to get my youngest one off the bus. As one riding buddy of mine would say..Kids alway ruin a good motorcycle day!

Now worries, I got home 2 min before the bus came, got all my fudge delievered...well almost still had two boxes to go and rode my bike over 240 miles!

It was a great day!!
  11. OSJ

OSJ Formally DunkinDuck

Oddometer:
    Day 14 Wednesday Dec 14th

Cold rainy day when I woke up this morning. Kids were in school, Mrs OSJ was working...I had the day to ride! I dug out the old KBC helmet for todays ride. This helmet is getting a little old, maybe one more season and it will get retired with the other helmets on my shelf
    [​IMG]

This helmet is getting a little old, maybe one more season and it will get retired with the other helmets on my shelf , its the only one I have with just speakers installed in. I like this one when I'm riding alone, just me and my Ipod!

[​IMG]

No fudge going out today..but I had a few tags in mind.

First one was a dinosaur
    [​IMG]

Second was something tied to Transcendentalism

Never been here before ( gone by it a million times) so I decided to check it out...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Amos Bronson Alcott house at the Fruitlands Museum
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think I will take the family back here and explore the walking trails. It looks really cool. Just a little south of the entrance is a really scenic pull over spot. On a sunny day you have a nice view of Mt Wachusett.
    [​IMG]

With my tags snagged and in my phone I had to pull over to find a dry spot to post my tags. These places are always empty on rainy days....
    [​IMG]

By now the rain was falling at a good rate and it was barely 40 degrees. I headed to the office to get in a little paper work and to warm up a bit. Short ride today but still a ride!
  12. OSJ

OSJ Formally DunkinDuck

Oddometer:
    Day 15 Thursday Dec 15th

Nice sunny morning...cold but sunny. First thing I had to do today is make some room for winter storage. I have 5 road motorcycles, 2 dirt bikes, 1 ATV and many...no...scratch that way too many pieces of lawn equipment. My Suzuki DR200 and Honda Scrambler were at the house but needed to come to the shop for their winter nap. I put them in the back of the big red trailer for the short ride across town.
    [​IMG]

Which meant I needed to move the yellow duck outside to make room...
    [​IMG]

She just sat there begging me to take her out for a ride today. I felt guilty that I had been riding the KLR so much..the duck needed a ride!

So a list was made, and the final bag of fudge to go for a ride was loaded.
    [​IMG]

It was one of those days the sun was in and out. When it was shining the temperature went up 10 degrees, and when the clouds were blocking the sun it felt like it dropped 20!

My first stop was at Wild Bill's place...ya'll here at ADV know him as Mr Bill but he wasn't home to take his order and have his photo taken
    [​IMG]

Yes his house is Pink! His wife wouldn't let him paint it KTM orange so he settled with pink. I put his order in the door and went on my way.
    [​IMG]

We met Bill for breakfast the next morning and he said almost all of the fudge was gone! Man that old dog can eat!

The night before I spent hrs trying to figure out a tag that Joe? had put up. His hint started with "a trio" of towns but he really meant to say a "quartet" ...grrrrr... You know how sometimes something it right there in front of your face but you just cant see it? Well that was me searching for that dam tag!

Thankfully I have some friends that also have a good eye for finding something. My buddy Easy Ed called me with the exact location of the tag. He wasn't riding this week so he said I can get it without the threat of being bruced.

The spot was 30 min west of Bill's house. So I made my way out to get it.
    [​IMG]

The fishing poles you see belong to the guy that was standing next to me when I took this shot. I asked him if he would be here long...his reply was "all day"...must be nice to have so much time on your hands to waste a whole day fishing:lol3

I told him if he see's another motorcycle pull up to tell the rider that OSJ beat you too it. He just laughed and said a silver motorcycle was there yesterday! I told him about the game of tag and why I was there, which was because that silver motorcycle was Joe?

The ride back toward home took me up Rt148 to Oakham...down rt56 to Paxton than back up Rt31 to Holden. I dropped the new tag along the way...
    [​IMG]

I was also looking for another R in the last letter tag game. I had stopped at a Reservoir, but really didn't like that one.
    [​IMG]

Then while riding down a little back road in West Boylston I saw a much better R

[​IMG]

Reflection!

Another day done in my quest to "ride every bike every day in December!"
  13. OSJ

OSJ Formally DunkinDuck

Oddometer:
    Day 16 Friday Dec 16th

No real ride today...it was cold and windy. However Mr Bill had set up a breakfast club meeting at Lou Roc's in Worcester. Mrs OSJ and I would ride to it.

[​IMG]

Mr Bill was on the KTM and Jack showed up on his VFR

[​IMG]

Its one of those places you leave with your top button of your jeans undone

[​IMG]

After breakfast Mrs OSJ and I went home and took a long nap. Kids were all in school and the house was really quiet....[​IMG]

Day 17 Saturday Dec 17th

another cold day, Temps were not supposed to be much over freezing. I was heading up to UNH to pick up my oldest daughter for winter break. So I didn't have much time to ride. However Santa was visiting a local dealership and I figured I would take a ride by to see how many bikes would be there..
    [​IMG]

Seems I was the only one that was thinking 'ride' today??

Okay, down the road I found this guy hanging on a store front window...I thought he would be perfect for my mailbox next season.
    [​IMG]

Right now I have Santa on it...

[​IMG]

Day 18 Sunday Dec 18

Today was gonna be in the 20's all day. First real cold day of the season. Some of the ponds were starting to ice over with the last few days. I just did some exploring in the surrounding towns...no real plan, and not too many miles. I did have my heated hand grips on high for all of the ride!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made sure I was home in time to watch Brady and the boys show Tebow how a championship team plays!

Day 19 Monday 12/19/11
    Just a short ride to my office to do some work, stopped and got the "E" tag...
    [​IMG]
  14. mpanther

mpanther KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer:
    Loving the thread. inspiring.
  15. DDR26

DDR26 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love your little adventures, looking forward to the rest of the month!
  16. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tag a holic eh.....heard of the GLOBAL game???
  17. OSJ

OSJ Formally DunkinDuck

Oddometer:
  18. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why am I looking at photos of mailboxes? Oh yeah - because there are motorcycles in front of them. I think I'd look at pictures of motorcycles in front of just about anything. Lots of nice photo ops in your area. I also envy guys who's wives will ride with them - I'd love that. Make sure you tell her that!

It challenges me to do a "heres is what you see on my favorite local ride". I'd go right now, but there is ice/snow on the streets today in the western suburbs of Detroit.

Keep the pictures coming and ride safe!.
  19. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:

Did you get 'em all in?

Great idea, more people should make this commitment.
  20. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since you deliver...I would like to purchase some fudge. :huh

Great thread. Thanks.