Charlottesville Riders...where are ya?

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by gasgaseffinfast, Sep 24, 2008.

1. guns&coffee

guns&coffee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to try my (new-to-me) 300EXC on some fire roads in Madison. It's not tagged yet, so I'll have to haul it the Foad. I'm thinking of packing a lunch and trying to make a day of it. I'm working on getting my lights, etc hooked up over the next several days. When I'm done it will at least look legal. :lol3
    Thinking of riding the FR's from the saddle at Blakey and then possible loading up and heading over to RWMA above Graves Mill.
    Feel free to PM me.
    Hondas are welcome too. :rofl
  2. FATNBLD

FATNBLD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Buckaroo, I'd love to, How's about next Saturday, Feb 9, in the AM?

Great opportunity to give you your disc lock back at the very least.

With you on something so light I might have trouble keeping up with you. You are by for more experienced than I on the trails, but that 950 at least kept it close to even. So anybody else with a big(ger) bike want to join us that would be fine with me.

J.R.
  3. XC Rider

XC Rider Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    I might be up for that. Been itching to ride my 525. I'll let you know as we get closer to the day in question.
  4. tuffstuff

tuffstuff Livin' Life Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or how about a girl on a smaller bike? :D Unless I am forgetting other plans I'd like to join in for some of this day! Will double-check with DZ :-)
  5. FATNBLD

FATNBLD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Works for me, however I've seen you ride, you can probably leave me in the dust.
  6. tuffstuff

Oddometer:
    Ha! I'm no speedy but if this works out it'll be fun. :clap
  7. guns&coffee

guns&coffee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know next Sat I have a couple of horse appointments. Sunday could work though.
  8. cameron110

cameron110 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Before you all get too rowdy to remember thanks to some silly game tomorrow I wanted to drop a reminder about movie night at Black Market Moto Saloon on Wednesday.

Here is this months theme:

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WvDJpyzvvmI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Spread the word, lets get lots folks out.
  9. FATNBLD

FATNBLD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, saw the pics of first bikes, so I went on a search for a picture of mine, finally found it on my Dad's Google Plus page.

Honda 50Z, mini bike.
    Three speed clutchless
    I had a head on collison with kid on a Honda 80 and broke a finger
    My friend broke his arm pretty bad....and my parents sold it.
    Sure had a lot of fun riding around the (then) private roads of the subdivision in which I now live (Greene Acres). Miles of gravel roads, friends with bikes, it was all we did all weekend long.

[​IMG]
  10. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Great shot f&b. Quest for air. :thumb

Every kid's first thought with a bike. "Must build a ramp.."
  11. OldnoGPS

OldnoGPS Just a sightseer

Oddometer:
    That's a great shot FB! As hppyfngy said, had to have a ramp, bump or something to fly over. My hardtail Rupp was a kidney killer, the Yamaha with it's 2" of undamped suspension was a huge improvement.
    I could ride across the road from my parent's driveway into a trail network that took me almost to the Keswick Hunt Club. From there, I would push the bike a couple of hundred yards to the Keswick club entrance and ride all over there (times have changed). We had trails in the back near Blackcat Rd., before 64 was built we could ride all the way to 250. Club access went all the way to Blackcat then (not where the rear entrance is now). When they were building 64, they closed our road (731) to build the bridge over 64. We could ride up to the bridge construction, down the ditch, up the embankment and onto 64 on dirt or later on gravel. We would ride into Pantops to a friend's farm at the end of the frontage road that now goes past the entrance to Ashcroft (no Ashcroft then). The bridges over 22/231 and farm entrances were built several feet above grade and had ramps up and over on one side. You could jump WAY up onto the bridges if you hit those ramps fast enough :D.
  12. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Ahh, those were the days alright. Where I grew up we had a series of trails that went for mile and miles. Through the woods, down a dirt road, across a farmers field, back in the woods and so on and so on.

Made me pretty sad teaching kids to ride here recently in a half acre field. But they didn't know any better. They just built a ramp.

:ricky
  13. guns&coffee

guns&coffee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do any of you C'ville folks happen to have an Enduro headlight switch laying around? I'm trying to put lights back on my EXC. The multi-function (950/LC4) switch isn't working. It checks out OK with the multi-tester, but I can't get it wired up correctly. I'm thinking a simpler switch might be easier to get working.
  14. FATNBLD

FATNBLD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys might also remember the tract of land in front of Forrest Lakes where there is now a Food Lion, McDonalds, Timberwood Grill, etc. That used to be dirt bike heaven. Trails, jumps, banked turns, bowls. We took our bikes, and a friend's 3-wheelers there several times and spent the whole day there. Too fun! There were also power line trails back behind before they built yuppie ville.
  15. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have a headlight specific handlebar switch. I do have some generic switches - on/off (2 spade connectors) and off/low/hi (3 spade connectors). I also have a couple of mounting plates for the switches.
  16. FATNBLD

FATNBLD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Turns out this coming Saturday is not going to work for me either, I'll probably be playing Disc Golf out at Walnut Creek. It could all depend on the weather. Sunday is out for me, I work most Sundays. I'll keep watch to see what y'all are doing and may decide to ride instead of play disc golf if you guys go out on Saturday, but don't count on me this time.
  17. OldnoGPS

OldnoGPS Just a sightseer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I remember. I designed the "lakes" at Forest Lakes, did several Site Plans on the parcel you're talking about (carwash, bank), the townhouses behind Food Lion, etc. etc. I've moved millions of cubic yards of dirt with a pencil.
    Before those days, I used to take walks during lunch on the farm where Seminole Square is now. There was still a drive-in theater where the Hydraulic Rd. Kroger sits :gerg
  18. tuffstuff

Oddometer:
    This is the first bike I ever rode too! Friends of mine had one on their farm and we all took turns riding it. I was 10 and had no clue what I was doing. Never took the bike out of first gear and almost burnt it up but wiped out on a cow pie. That's when I decided I better let them teach me how to ride. Such a fun bike.
  19. cameron110

cameron110 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would be happy to help you get that switch working, we might just need to buy a relay and build a harness. I was able to figure out the crazy switch wiring on my authority model RT which after several days of fiddling resulted in a much better understanding of how to make OEM switches work in creative ways.
  20. guns&coffee

guns&coffee Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be cool. Electronics is not really my thing. The tail light works OK, though. I hooked it into what's left of the original wiring harness.