nOObs Rally End of March Madness 2012 Ride Report

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by airborndad, Mar 23, 2012.

1. airborndad

airborndad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know I know It was a long time ago, I wrote it in April but forgot to post My RR for Day 3 so here it is better late than never
    Maybe

Day 3
    I signed up myself and Justin for this ride:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ride: Get Dirty and Salty With Peligro
    Lead By: SenorPeligro
    On: Saturday
    Max Number of Riders: 6

Meet: Outside PSR Restaurant
    At: 9:00
    Departs: 9:30

THIS RIDE HAS CHANGED! Pay attention at the back.
    Due to underwhelming interesting in yet another Panamint loop I'm leading you plucky adventurers on a little trip from Panamint Springs, to Darwin and then up Saline Valley Road, through South Pass as far as the junction with Lippincott Mine Road. Then we'll double back to PSR for hot cocoa and tales of derring-do around the campfire.
    PSR -> Old Toll Road -> Ophir Road -> Darwin -> Darwin Road --> Saline Valley Road --> Junction with Lippincott Mine Road.
    Like this:
    http://g.co/maps/zfam6
    Just under a 100 miles back to PSR.
    If everyone has the range or can arrange for gas, I might be talked into pushing this trip to the Saline Valley Hot Springs. I have it on good authority that it's about 140 miles.
    Meet outside the PSR restaurant at 9:00 to familiarize yourself with the route, ready for a 9:30 chocks-away. Look for an orange F800GS with my name on the plate.

SenorPeligro F800GS
    airborndad XT225
    Justin XT225
    Muddydonut KTM 950 ADV
    specialagentnancy BMW F650
    Cowgirl WR250
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

when myself and Justin got to the gas station/ meet up location only 2 other riders were there
    so it looked like it was just going to be

SenorPeligro F800GS
    airborndad XT225
    Justin XT225
    specialagentnancy BMW F650

SenorPeligro asked me if I would ride sweep so I said no problem just as we were getting ready to leave 1 other rider joined us I don't know who it was but I think he was on a DR 350

anyways we left Panamint Spring and headed up towards the Old Darwin Toll rd
    turned where the parking area was for the hiking trail to Darwin Falls
    specialagentnancy started to have just a little bit a struggle negotiating some of the sharp off camber uphill turns but kept pushing along then it got a little more tore up and she decided that it was probably best for her to bail early so I tried to wave to signal the other riders as they were going through the switchbacks above us unfortunately none of them bothered to look back so I figured they'll notice us pretty soon and come back looking for us so in the meantime we got specialagentnancy's bike turned around and pointing in the right direction then we waited and waited and waited I gave specialagentnancy some suggestions on were to go and showed her on a map that I gave her about 15 minutes went by and I figured they were long gone so we decided to head back down to the flat section where the parking area was for the hiking trail to Darwin Falls then I would turn around and try to catch up to the rest of the group while she was going on her solo exploration toward Augueberry Point and elsewhere so on my way back up I got back to the point we turned around at and the rest of the group was coming back down so I thought cool were all back together lets get going
    well I guess they all decided to turn around cause the road was too tore up and SenorPeligro said his clutch was burning up so they were heading to Saline Valley rd or something ? I wan't to keep going so I asked Justin if he wanted to continue he said I'm going wherever you go I asked the guy on the DR he said he was going back also so 3 maybe 3-1/2 miles into the ride the group of 5 was now 2 so off we go I told Justin to honk when we get to the part that was giving them trouble cause I couldn't recall anything that bad when I went through there last year so about a 1/2 mile later we get to a corner and Justin honks and I'm thinking WTF theres nothing here but just around the corner it got pretty steep with staggered foot deep holes everywhere and plenty of loose rocks and dirt it was a bit of a challenge but not a problem on our bikes by weaving our way around them, through them, and over them
    But on a loaded F800GS I can totally understand this turning into a major obstacle and I think specialagentnancy would probably have been crashing her F650 so it was probably a good decision for the big bikes to turn back
    turns out that short 150 - 200 foot section up to the top of the hill was the only bad part of the road
    so me and Justin were just gonna cruise around checking things out at our own pace now
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Square headed Nuts and Bolts on rivited together piping = OLD
    [​IMG]

Old mid 50's Buick
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On our way to Darwin we spotted this rig, so since we had no other riders to try to keep up with, or keep track of ,
    we decided to figure out a way to get up to it and check it out
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then we went down the same OLD toll road we went down last year since we liked it so much last time + we did a little more exploring[​IMG] 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] 

You can see that at one time this road was actually paved but there's not very much pavement left that can be seen
    This is the biggest section
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cool blueish green rocks
    [​IMG]
    Hidden just around the corner found a nice little mine tunnel
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Headed out past Darwin spotted a walking fish
    [​IMG]
    hit the highway and the wind really started kicking up so we headed back towards Panamint Springs Resort
    and stopped at Father Crowley Point
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Panamint Springs and more wind ahead
    [​IMG]
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    THE END

I think :D
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  2. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    lots of nice pics there keith.

that's not too far from camp and still i missed it even though i put 500 miles in 3 days. neither made it to chloride, titus, pleasant canyon, tea kettle, hunter, lippencott, etc.

death valley is huge. one will need a week and a big gas tank to see them all.
  3. surferbum

surferbum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Relocated to Scottsdale, AZ from SF Bay area
    Who ever won the tires for best trip report?
  4. nsfw

Oddometer:
    hey matt, hope you guys are doing more riding.

this may be one of the least expensive event, but we manage to get a lot of sponsors and donors. after that huge raffle, we still had about $400 ($100 from sito and $300 from nowwhat) in the pot.

i ended up giving 2 tires to the commemorative souvenir sponsor who brought about 200 pieces of drinking glasses.

then, 2 more tires for the best trip report, however we had a 3-way tie. I splitted up the remaining cash among ersin (fyyff), isaac west and chris (browneye).

dsm8 was the lucky winner to receive the advmoto magazine free 1 year subscription....http://www.adventuremotorcycle.com/?gclid=CKSl-9ydhbECFUEGRQod3FJeJw

i apologize for the late announcement; so, looking forward to see you all and more new faces next year.

:clap
  5. macadamia

macadamia XK Red 27 Technique Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it's time to start the list for the 2013 nOOb Rally... what'cha think, eh?
  6. J Lewis

J Lewis Numb Nuts

Oddometer:
    If you do, let me know where it is and (post) and when it is. Joel, I have some excellent areas in and around Pahrump, NV you might be interested in.
  7. surferbum

surferbum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Relocated to Scottsdale, AZ from SF Bay area
    I am looking forward to noobs 2013
  8. nsfw

Oddometer:
    hello matt.

hi andy, thanks for the reminder. i'm getting a lot of inquiries too, so i'll start a new thread and post it up in the "upcoming"

dates are from Mar. 28-31, 2013

panamint springs

hi jimmy, yeah, just like the "taste of dakar". awesome riding areas right in your backyard.

fall of 2013 perhaps.
  9. nsfw

Oddometer:
  10. GMC327

GMC327 n00b

Oddometer:
    Want to join the fun. Will be one of thirdbestfriend's group.
  11. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Click the link below to go to the 2014 rally planning and RSVP thread.

12. airborndad

airborndad Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whoops! Thanks, Keith.
  14. nsfw

Oddometer: