GL Great Basin or other with passenger?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Off Road Ryder, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whats the best bag setup for 2 up on an ADV? Ive been using the stockers and have found there shortcomings.Thanks to the guys who have picked my bags up off the trail behind me:clap But a guy can pack a lot of beer in them:wink:
    Considering the GL Great basin, but it doesn't really look like its usable with a passenger? I like the idea of getting away from conventional panniers.
    I would like something that also works well solo. Any recommendations? Do's, don'ts etc..
    Thanks!
  2. amanlikemike

amanlikemike Recovering Speedfreak

Oddometer:
    Well...

These:
    [​IMG]
    UScombos of up to 90 liters on a rear seat or rack.

These:
    [​IMG]
    Overlander 30 (can be slid back and down to make room for passengers on bigger bikes)

Or these:
    [​IMG]
    Overlander 60 (not your traditional panniers by any means).

... would make be pretty neat solutions to your quandary. But I would say that...

Actually, I'd say it any way. Kriega has always been my gear of choice way before I started selling it for a living. :D

Happy to explain the whys and wherefores in more detail if you like!
  3. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    Welded to soft luggage? We use the stock Gobi panniers, a HB Journey 50L top box, a Kriega softbag strapped to one pannier and tent and sleeping gear to the other. We have done 9 months with this configuration.

If I were to go with softbags I would look at Colebatch Luggague from Adventure-Spec and Wolfman or Kriega top bag.
  4. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    Absolutely the stockers dont hold up to my riding style and make the bike far to wide. Pinching a bag on a tree isn't a lot of fun. . Leaning heavily toward the GL Great Basin.
    Is it possible to use that bag with a passenger?
  5. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    I'll ask a couple locals if they have run much two up with the GB on a KTM Adv. Plenty of GL product users around here.

Those kreiga's look the quality, just not the configuration.
  6. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    I haven't done it, but I have experimented with the mounting of my Great Basin on my SE and I think it would work fine with a passenger. Their butt would be up against it at the back, but I think more in supportive way rather than an interference way.

Brent
  7. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    Thanks Brent.. The majority of the guys I rode with to the KTM Rally last fall had the GB and from what I could tell it looked to be the setup for aggressive loaded riding. My wife has almost recovered from a torn mcl due to taking the stock rack in the knee during a low speed fall, hoping to loose the outriggers.
  8. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I got my 950 in San Diego. Local friend rode with me to Pasadena. We don't get to lane-split here in Oregon and he was on a VFR750. Trying to follow him through rush hour traffic with the KTM bags on was a focusing experience. I wanted whiskers on the fairing like a cat.

If you still have the racks for the hard bags, how about the Ortlieb soft panniers? I hate any kind of hardbag, mostly fear of going down and getting my leg trapped, I know plenty of folks who've got a spiral fracture that way.

I have the Giant Loop stuff also (Coyote, Mojavi). Good stuff but I'm not sure it's as passenger friendly.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/48/77/524/1503/-/-/857573/Ortlieb-Moto-Saddle-Bags-Black
  9. Deepc

Deepc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the wolfman expedition drybag panniers. I've dumped the bike several times and the bags are undamaged. I also like them because they act like an airbag when they hit the ground, protecting the passengers legs and or the side of my bike. If I'm riding solo and fully loaded I use the medium wolfman expedition dry duffel strapped to the passenger area of my seat. The setup looks nice and is pretty versatile.
  10. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    You are very welcome!!
    Fun story to tell, and I DID tell it on my Vendor's thread :lol3
    I was happy with hard bags for 3-4 years until my riding progressed into "aggressive"
    You saw my welded subframe the night before we left for the KTM Rally, right?
    I need another option also.
    The whoops I bounce over at speed now bend/break the racks again and again.

I went KLR and strapped two big 6" pvc tubes (20" long) down low on my Jesse racks,
    and am now seriously considering the Great Basin as well.
    No two-up for me, though.

Have you seen the new 2013 GL Fort Rock?
    Designed to sit on top and fit a passenger?
    It's very large, and looks the ticket to sit atop hard or soft panniers.

On phone now, or I'd provide a link..
    Edit: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20280020&postcount=571
  11. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replies and I"ll look into the suggestions. AJ you saved my ass on that trip. I think you picked my crap up at least twice:lol3
  12. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    The GB has a longer base, front to back than the coyote and is intended to rest on the rear of the seat and rack. It could be positioned more rearward, but is likely keep a passenger from getting enough room between the bag and yourself, for comfort.

Coyote is the rear fender/rack mounted unit.

The Fort Rock is a top case for panniers and not a stand alone bag.

The new Siskiyou Panniers would be the most passenger friendly high volume alternative in the line.

[​IMG]

Harold just posted some 2013 pics and discriptions in the Vendor's forum.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854141
  13. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    Thanks I like the new GL but looks like you still need to run the tube frame.. I"ll contact them and find out.
    By the way are you out riding that Hawk yet? Snows great!
  14. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    if you are referring to the model above, no you don't need the pannier racks. I've ridden with them for several months.
  15. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    That's good as you'd have to sell the OEM pannier racks to be able to afford the Siskiyou panniers. $649 for a set of soft panniers, wow!
    I'm sure they're very nice quality, 75 liters is much larger than the Ortleibs but still.
  16. bikyto

Oddometer:
    interesting, I had not seen a price on those yet. Thanks
  17. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    http://www.giantloopmoto.com/collections/giant-loop-gear-collection/products/siskiyou-panniers

I'm not much of a fan of the clone/knock-off Nomad-rider stuff but they had traction because (IMO) the GL stuff is overpriced (even for made in USA). With this new product it seems there going in even more of the wrong direction. The Orliebs are $200. Hard to see how you can justify that price difference. Just my $0.02
  18. bikyto

Oddometer:
    you're editing your posts faster than I can reply :D

I have the ortliebs as well. It's for a different market plus you need some kind of racks.

I am not arguing about the price point. I was just answering the initial question :freaky
  19. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    You do? Not according to the webpage.
    http://www.ortlieb.com/_pdf_en/moto_saddlebags.pdf
    http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/48/77/524/1503/-/-/857573/Ortlieb-Moto-Saddle-Bags-Black
    "No additional rack adapter required."

The ones I have are the older design.without the thermomoulded rear side.

I didn't think you were.
  20. bikyto

Oddometer:
    I was referring to another ortlieb setup but i did look up the ones you mentioned. It says "no addition rack adapter required" indeed which implies you have racks but don't need an adaptor.
    But I am not familier with these anyhow.

I can only attest of the quality and easy of use of the GL that I have been using.

:clap