Gaerne Balance Oiled and Balance Pro Tech Boots Review

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Brtp4, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Dallara

Dallara Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer:

I ride a Yamaha Super Tenéré XT1200Z, and I've never worried about it even a femto-second. They're a ton better than any ol' street boot. They may not be as stiff or as tough in the ankle area as a full-on MX boot, but that's the trade-off...

You can walk all day in the Gaerne Balance Oiled boots, and certainly ride in them as long as you physically bear up. They're that comfortable, and much more comfortable for all-day wear than any MX boots I've ever worn. I've dropped my Super Tenéré a couple of times with the Balance Oiled boots on and so far no lower leg, ankle, or foot injuries of any kind.

For me the simple answer is this... If I was going to ride MX I'd wear an MX boot. Riding my big "adventure" bike I wear a boot better suited to its mission - covering miles all day in any terrain, and occasionally have to either push the bike out tough sections or get off and walk around at places I visit, etc.

For that I have never found a better boot than the Gaerne Balance Oiled boots. :thumb

Dallara

~
  2. deliberate speed

deliberate speed Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies. It's much appreciated. I'll be contacting Atomic Moto soon for these boots.
  3. fierstf

fierstf girl power

Oddometer:
    As a woman who wears a size 6 in men's boots, I have very few options. Women's boots are often geared for Harley riders. I can buy boy's boots but they are often cheap and uncomfortable. When I was looking around a shop a few weeks ago, the sales associate told me the Balance Oiled could be ordered in a men's 6 (actually she said they could even be ordered as small as 5). I was very happy I ordered them because they fit like a glove from the moment I slipped them on. I have tested them in torrential rains and they stay dry. They are so comfortable, provide great protection, and they look great. They are worth every penny. Keep these boots in mind if you have friends with smaller feet!
  4. kbroderick

kbroderick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Commenting on ankle protection with a bigger bike, I got my 1150GS out of sorts while trying to get over a log on Saturday, managed to catch my right ankle on something (not sure if it was a protruding piece of ground or the right-side head), and although it wasn't particularly comfortable, I ended up with only a little swelling. I have crash the 1150 off-road while wearing the Oiled Balances more than once (heck, I did so more than once on Saturday), and I've been pretty happy overall with boots. If I buy another boot anytime soon, I probably would be looking for more of a true offroad boot, but being able to walk around in the boots all day is rather nice.
  5. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    I forget that I have oiled's on until I cross my legs and the buckles hit my thigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. deliberate speed

deliberate speed Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, after calling up Atomic Moto and speaking with Brian, I ended up buying the Gaerne GX-1 boots. I still think I'm going to buy the Balance Oiled boots, but for the type of riding I'm trying to get into right now, the GX-1s seem more appropriate. (I'm still waiting for them to be delivered.) They have more protection and are still supposed to be moderately comfortable.

Add me to the list of people that think Brian and the people at Atomic Moto are super cool. He was very patient with me and all of my many questions, taking the time to go over different options and help me come to a decision. I'll be going to them for more gear in the future.
  7. Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just returned a set of the Pro-Techs. I didn't realize that they and the "oiled" boots weren't one and the same.

I'm considering the oiled version now, but I have one reservation: I didn't like the buckles. Are the buckles on the oiled version upgraded from the Pro tech? They look different.
  8. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    I don't know what are on the pro-techs but the ones on my oiled are great,easy to buckle in the dark and stay buckled.

9. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    RS, they are the same buckles. For reference, they are adjustable for alignment.

BP
  10. Donkey

Donkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking about a pair of balanced oiled and typically wear a 46 in bmw allround, and Sidi Canyon for reference. Reading the thread, 11's and 12's run larger. Should I get a 46 or go down to a 45? :huh
    Thanks.
  11. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Hello Mindfulness.

The Balance Oiled is not offered in a 45, they go from a 10 / 44.5 to an 11 / 46.

It would be best to know the EU size of 2 - 3 pairs of your casual, athletic, or hiking shoes, and also how you spec out on a Brannock device (foot measuring tool). That said, if I am to guess from the info given I would say an 11 / 46.

Hope that helps.

BP
  12. Donkey

Donkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, 46 sounds right, thanks for the clarification! :thumb
  13. Donkey

Donkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was fortunate to try on a friend's 11/46 that he's only ridden with once. The length was fine but they were SUPER tight on the sides of the feet. This sounds inconsistent with what I've read about these boots being wide. Should I get 12's? I mean it was like my feet were being compressed which they were. For reference, my BMW all-round boots are 46 but there's "some" space side to side and they are great. On the Gaerne balanced oil boots, my foot was pushing the sides out, zero room...:ear
  14. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    I can't say enough good things about the balance oiled boots .I feel stupid wasting soo much time and $$$$ on cheapo boots.The thing I would change is there should be a shifter patch on the left boot . Everyday use in Seattle and these boots waterproof and COMFY. !!.
    [​IMG]

15. Brtp4

Oddometer:

That does sound contrary, but I do not have enough info to advise you. I do not like to use moto boots as an x-reference, they vary too much in fit from model to model. What is the EU size from 2 - 3 pair of your casual, athletic, or hiking shoes (not moto boots)? When you walk into a shoe store, what size do you ask for first? What do you measure on a Brannock device? Height, weight, and age? Typically, do you need wide sizes or not?

BP
  16. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    I have to admit I have been lusting after a set of the Gaerne Balance Oiled boots for a while now. Well just today I split the bottom side on my ICON boots so now I am in the hunt for a great pair of boots.

I wear my boots usually 5 or more days week as commuting to work rain or shine, then walk around all day in them. So I need some walking comfort also. The other 2 days a week I am wearing my Chippewa logger boots.

Looking at these three if you might be able to shed some light on them. Read the entire thread. I wear an 10.5w -11w depending on the boot.

Gaerne Balance Oiled: I hear they are just a great boot

Forma ADVENTURE: Hear they also are a great boot

Gaerne G-Adventure: I hear they are like wearing hiking boots for comfort.

17. Donkey

Donkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help, typically need wider toe box / wide size. Normal shoe size is 11 to 11.5. When wearing the 46 the length was fine but the width was squishing the heck out of my feet. No way I could wear em, just not sure a bigger size would deal with the width :ear
  18. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    Had to work for it ....but I ordered a pair of the Gaerne Oiled Balance boots

Hope the Gaerne's rock as those Forma Adventures are still calling out to me
  19. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    I plan on keeping my oiled's for a loooooong time.Most everything is replaceable and the leather is thicker than most,so they should be good for many, many years of use.

20. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're going to be on your feet all day, then you'll want an insole in the Oiled, otherwise they are the ticket. I usually keep my pair of Chippewa loggers under my desk at work to change into when I get there, but most days I forget and wear the Balance's around all day.