Rider Missing in Mexico

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by TeeVee, Feb 5, 2014.

1. jimmycorp

jimmycorp adventure lurker

Oddometer:
    Hopefully this ends well for Harry & his family. Thoughts and prayers.

Sent from my POS phone.
  2. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    The silence is deafening; prayers for the missing rider.
  3. McFoil

McFoil Filthy Pig

Oddometer:
    Yip............sure hope Harry is all right.
  4. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast
    Have no idea what will come of it, but it couldn't hurt.

Contacted a friend who has Speed & Strength as one of his main sponsors and told him about Harry. He has passed that to S&S. My hope is that they may be able to help contribute in someway to help somehow.

Like I said don't know what will come of it but it was worth a shot.
  5. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that, good to see you are still around. You never know, maybe this will shake something loose. We gotta look out for each other down here.

Hells en baja
  6. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:
    Harry come home!
  7. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have any of you heard any more news lately about negotiations or Harry's situation? Seems there were periodic updates on his familie's FaceBook page by his Mother ........ but I'm not a FB guy.

MG, thanks for the mop up on aisle 6!
  8. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    RoadDamage, no real update as there is no progress other than a Thank You/Please Help message.

My personal feeling is that he was not kidnapped but probably fell off somewhere. I do hope he is found real soon than later so everyone can have a proper closure.
  9. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    May be someone here can post something on The Borderland Beat web page.
  10. hardroadking

hardroadking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been stopping in daily since the start looking for news and hoping for GOOD news. It is a sad situation but it could still have a good ending...my thoughts are pushing for this.

I must say, up until recently, I was so depressed each time I checked in, but not because of any news surrounding the Harry story. It was the negative, bullying that was going on among advrider members.

When I check in on this thread now, I am disappointed by the lack of any news but when I log out, I am at peace and thankfully no longer depressed by the vile discourse that had overtaken the thread.

Wishing for all the best to Harry and his Family...keep the faith.
  11. T.Low

T.Low Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those of us not wanting to join FB, any updates?
  12. AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing new....
  13. Blind Warrior

Blind Warrior Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer:
    I have some hope that the silence surrounding the search indicates that progress is being made but is too sensitive for public disclosure.
  14. js73751

js73751 Mid Life Crisis Member

Oddometer:
    "I ask you all to keep Harry in your thoughts and prayers and to picture a positive outcome as the resolution of what appears to have been an opportunistic kidnapping gets closer and closer."

Posted by Harry's mother Ann, Feb 22, 2014

I pose this for those far more worldly than I. There has been a bit of a "quiet period" with few updates from his close friends and family. Is this indicative of past "history" of the resolution of an opportunistic kidnapping?

js
  15. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    I really hope you are correct in that line of thinking. Thoughts and prayers are with Harry and his family. Still hoping for a good outcome.
  16. jachard

jachard Been here awhile

Oddometer:

So I think I can add one data point here. A little on my background first, my Mom and setepfather lived in Mexico City up until 2003 or so. My stepdad lived there from 1962 and when he married my Mom she moved down there in 1986. Back then, kidnapping was somewhat uncommon but definitely on the rise. By the time they left in 2003, approximately 35% of their friends had been kidnapped at one point in time. All kidnapping events ended with the hostage being returned safely once the randsom was paid. Typically the lifecycle of these events were a few days, a week maximum. So to answer your question above, I would say no and that this long wait is not typical but anything is possible these days.

I sincerely hope for Harry and his family's sake that if he is kidnapped, the delay is what someone stated above and negociations are in progress.

Although, as I stated before, given the area he was in I'm more apt to think he had a solo accident but we are all guessing at this point.

My sincerest hopes and thoughts go out to everyone involved that he is found.

Cheers, James
  17. strikingviking

strikingviking Long timer

Oddometer:
    In these type of kidnappings, the FBI recommends complete silence and no media coverage until the crisis is resolved. Frustrated families of course, want the world to know what happened believing this will facilitate a quicker resolution. It won't.

Professional kidnappers are tech savvy enough to monitor the Internet for how much noise is being generated in the media as well as chat-rooms. The more noise, the higher the victim's profile--which leads kidnappers to believe they have a valuable hostage worthy of holding out for a larger ransom.

Or, if there is too much noise, the victim becomes a "hot potato" making the kidnappers afraid that they have bit off more than they can chew--and now worry about too much heat.

I realize that we all want to voice our concern over this situation where one of our own might be in trouble, but the less chatter, the better. Mean spirited commentary here is offensive as well as extremely painful to the victims family who are suffering while pondering the potential outcomes.

If you are compelled to comment, voice your support through direct communication with the family. Or email directly with local riders in Mexico.
  18. T.Low

T.Low Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is no news no news?
  19. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    March 8th on Help Find Harry Facebook Page:

As so many of you around the world know, Tomorrow is Harry's Birthday, He has been heavy on my mind these last few days as we continue to search for him in Mexico. I ask each and every one of you to do a few things…….First, say a prayer tonight that we find Harry, second, Harry IS a loving and giving person who loved people, this world and his goals in life is always to pay it forward……for Harrys Birthday, lets each pay it forward, for Harry.
    the below is a message from a very close friend of Harrys, she sent this today to me, she hurts so much, misses her brother so much…..as we all do.

I am sitting here feeling a bit nostalgic, I wanna ask everyone to make a toast toHarry at Midnight tonight, for his Birthday, I also wanted to take this time to thank everyone, those who sent notes, good thoughts, gave there time, from all over the world trying to find Harry(and we will!!) for we will find our missing brother!!! Heres to Harry, Happy Birthday my Brother…..
    We all love you Harry, and we all can not wait for your to come home…..safe and sound……

please help us find Harry, continue to send us your messages, ideas, thoughts, prayers and PLEASE SPEAK UP, to the good people of Mexico,……help us find Harry…..

20. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any news? A quick Googling didn't reveal much, seems to have dropped out of the spotlight. Any new ideas or directions?

MV