Southwest Dual Sport Riders Club - Phoenix, AZ

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Chick4KLRs, Nov 22, 2008.

1. clcrisler

clcrisler n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all. I'm new to this site. Been wanting to get together with the group but Sundays just don't work for me. I bought an '09 KLR in November and have been itching to ride it more often than just to work and back.

Does anyone have any quick and dirty rides planned for this coming Saturday (dirt or street)? Would love to join in.
  2. SonnyAZ

SonnyAZ DesertDweller

Oddometer:
    OK. I'll see what the rest of this week goes like. Getting my front forks done, my finances and the pain in my backside. I messed it up last week and its been hurting ever since. Just that short easy ride yesterday with Logan and NY Gary was painful.
    Are you guys going to be camping or what?
  3. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover

Oddometer:
    Pipe does affect it but not by too much , what kind of gearing do u have ? open ur air box maybe?
  4. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover

Oddometer:
    Chase truck route will posted soon .
  5. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Darn it. I missed the Tucson ride for this:

Antelope Canyon
    [​IMG]

Cedar Breaks
    [​IMG]
    Zion
    [​IMG]

Hey- This on road stuff is pretty cool.
    [​IMG]

191 next weekend? :deal
  6. CrozB

CrozB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just bought a bunch of camping gear from REI but it will not all be here in time for this ride so we are motelin' at the Rode Inn in Springerville. The special rate is $59/night (ask for motorcycle group rate) and includes a really nice breakfast (from the reviews I've read).

We got a room for Friday and Saturday night so there is no presure to push it.

Sorry too hear about your pains. If you are feeling up to it I think you will find it well worth it! The 2nd part of the loop (Hwy 191) is the most fun you will have on twisties in AZ or anywhere near.

-D
  7. Makakoa85032

Makakoa85032 Displaced Surfer

Oddometer:
    You are welcome to join us any time, there is always someone in the club riding on Saturday's as well as other times of the week, so keep checking the thread. Grats on the purchase!
  8. Makakoa85032

Oddometer:
    Kuulei and I have been discussing a change to the meeting location. We have decided on the McDonald's on the Northeast corner of Tatum and Bell Road behind the Circle K and in the same parking lot as the Fry's. This location offers us a place to sit inside out of the heat (very large seating area), a large parking lot for many bikes, and has a fueling stop on the same corner. If we are riding out after the meeting, we can grab a quick bite and a cup and not have to ride all over the place to do these things, plus this location still offers the convenience of location with the same quick access to the 51 or 101. This change will take affect on Sunday May 31st 2009 and the time will remain the same 8:00 am. Please make a note of this so those of you who have your auto pilot set to Starbucks can make the switch.
  9. Makakoa85032

Oddometer:
    To all,

Yesterday I picked up a 661 Chest Guard at "Play it again Sports" for $24.95. This Chest Guard normally retails new for $104.00. So if you have a "Play it again Sports" store near you it might be worth checking out. I also saw a pair of "Thor" boots at the store for $40.00 that normally retail for around $160.00, but since I already have a pair of white boots I passed on them.

http://www.playitagainsports.com/locations.aspx?s=AZ
  10. ta2rob

ta2rob 2 longs, 1 short, 1 long.

Oddometer:
    PM sent.

- R
  11. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    D- That is abnormally low fuel mileage, even for a singletrack KLR rider. More details are needed... what year? What was your mpg before the slip-on? If you bought the bike used, was it fitted with aftermarket jets at any point? If not, then re-jetting is not going to improve your mileage. Jumping to a smaller jet than stock is probably not advised. If it was fitted with a fatter jet, then the carb slide was probably drilled as well. These mods are permanent.

If it's an older bike then there may be a flooding issue in the carb which is just sending way too much gas. I think you'd notice performance issues aside from the mileage. Also, make sure you don't have a fuel leak somewhere. Losing gas will make you think you're getting worse economy than you really are.

Provide some more detail and maybe we can work this out. The KLR uses a very simple system.
  12. Nuclieye

Nuclieye Custom Fit is my choice!

Oddometer:
    None of the well known carb mod's are permanent but none of them will cause that poor of mileage either. Feel free to call me after 2:00 and we'll figure it out nothing on a KLR is difficult to figure out or fix. 602-714-4996
  13. PHXBUELL

PHXBUELL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone here ride a WR450 or like? I just got mine all legal but was not sure if my limited mileage would allow me to keep up on some of the trips. I may need to loose the stock tank and go w/ a 3.2 gal.
  14. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Drilling the carb slide is permanent. You can't un-drill a piece of metal.:wink: Putting stock jets and needle back in may not help if the needle hole has been drilled out. The goal of the drilling, afterall, is to allow more fuel, right?

Otherwise, I agree with you. Mine is old, jetted fat, geared for hills, and I have an aggressive wrist (no jokes)... I still get 40 mpg.

Surely it's something simple.
  15. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go Clarke on this bike. Had both IMS & Clarke!
  16. Dietrich

Dietrich Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked up the 06' with 98 miles on her. Yes, she sat a LOT. She now has 1700 miles on her.

I just dropped her off @ the Kaw deler. They're going to re-jet her, along with diagnose maybe a stuck float, bad carbs, etc. I figure while they're in there they might as well re-jet it.

THANKS for everyone's input!

D
  17. Brain

Brain mr. self destruct

Oddometer:
    There are hills in Oklahoma?:lol3

On a serious note. My mother (she's 80) is from Tulsa and she wants to go back for a visit of the downtown area. What would be a good time of year weather wise for a visit?
  18. SonnyAZ

SonnyAZ DesertDweller

Oddometer:
    I'll have to see what the rest of the week looks like. I should know by Thurs., although I probably won't make it to Springerville Fri. Eve. I don't get off work until 4:00.
    Maybe we can meet sometime Sat. AM at 3 Way, down at the Southern end of the loop.
  19. B-Mac

B-Mac Aged Beef

Oddometer:
    I have a Acerbis Ntrl. 3.3 Gal. on mine, See Photo Post #1481 Got it from Chaparral Motorsports $202.98 Two Days.
    Did Have to Change to 03-05 YZ 450 Radiator Shrouds with this tank

B
  20. 68jules

68jules n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow, I really need to get out more often I guess. This group seems to be just what I am looking for.
    I ride a R1200GS and a FLSTN and am interested in finding others interested in something other than just riding to the nearest bar. I am 61 and live in Scottsdale. I try to take a trip each year on my bike and ride just about every weekend. Last year I did Prudehoe Bay and so far this year I have gone to the east coast to ride the smokies. The attached picture was taken of me goijng through the Dragons Tain in TN. (that was a blast!)
    When and where do you guys meet next? jaydragon 004.jpg