Hak's KTM 530 EXC log thread (How-To's, thoughts, problems, modifications, etc)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by haknslash, Aug 19, 2011.

1. kevinsinvegas

kevinsinvegas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Mounted up a Clockworks 3.3 first run will be Barstow to Vegas tomorrow. Was planning the Acerbis 6.3 for Death Valley type rides.
  2. Tourmeister

Tourmeister What's that funny noise?

Oddometer:
    I will be out in your area in late Feb for the AltRider "Taste of Dakar" ride. Includes a Jimmy Lewis class and several days of riding. Will definitely be bringing the 530. Should I be worried about jetting? I live a couple hundred feet above sea level and the bike runs great here.
  3. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:
    What are you gonna do if you get a scratch on it?
  4. haknslash

haknslash Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It has its share. Im actually surprised at how well the plastics and graphics have held up. My WR's plastics looked rough real quick.
  5. haknslash

Oddometer:
    I haven't posted in this thread in a while. That's a good thing as I have no issues to report. Only notable mention today:

Mile 271
    Hours: 12.8
    Maintenance: engine oil/filter change. Drained 550+ml out. Same as before. Thumbup :)

Tomorrow or this weekend we are going to explore where two men derailed a passenger train in the 1890's not too far from where I live. The train fell over 110' into the shallow Cahaba River bed killing over 20 passengers and train engineers. Metal detectors might be coming along to see if we can find any goodies. I will have a post with pics and maybe vid I'm sure. The only thing that remains standing of the large tressel are its hand formed and laid stone support columns. Should be a good time and temps will be in the mid 60's!!!
  6. Tubulchain

Tubulchain ODAAT Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Inmates,

For a 2009 in Excellent condition with only 25 hours and 1600 miles what would you pay? Trying to understand the used value here and I have an opportunity to pick one up.

THANK YOU for weighing in!

2Bull
  7. haknslash

Oddometer:
    Really depends on what people are paying for them in your area. Having the newer oil pump gear and seal fix mods is also a plus since the earlier ones had the issue. Best bet is to see what people are paying for them on craigslist, ebay, etc in your area.
  8. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 2009 has the updated crank seal installed from the factory to address the oil transfer issue ( A lot of people think the oil pump cover/o-ring is the real cause of the transfer problem on a lot of bikes)

Here's a list of the bikes needing oil pump upgrades.

2008-2009: Will need the updated gears, oil pump cover, cover O-ring, pump shaft installed.

2010: Has the updated gears installed from the factory, still needs the updated pump cover/o-ring and shaft installed.

2011: Good to go with the updates factory installed.

Hodakaguy
  9. Pomo

Pomo gonzo

Oddometer:
    I have the Acerbis 6.3 gallon tank. I like having the option of a touring-type range on the bike, and the added weight really just makes it easier to ride on fire roads when I'm going a long way (keeps the front wheel down and planted in sweepers).

The 6.6 gallon tank was made for the pre-2008 bikes, i.e. the RFS bikes. I can't say for sure that it doesn't fit the 2008+ bikes, but to my knowledge the frame is different so it's a decent bet that it won't.

The KTM branded Acerbis tank looks in pictures like an exact replica of the 6.3 gallon tank, so I don't know why the size is listed as being different. Maybe they only measure usable fuel? The very bottom of the "wings" has some area below what the petcock/gravity feed can pull out.
  10. haknslash

Oddometer:
  11. Tubulchain

Tubulchain ODAAT Supporter

Oddometer:
    Need a bike to ride in the woods but that will also get me down the highway 30 miles to get to the good spot. Is this a bike for that? Can it handle highway or should I look at the 690?
  12. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    30 miles? No problem on a 450/530. :thumb Even much farther comfortably.

300 miles? You'll be wanting a 690/950SE before you get there! :puke1

But just yesterday, Neduro did 475 miles of a road liaison on Dakar stage 1 , plus another 35 miles of timed section (race speed) on his KTM 450 XC-W in a single day. He posted it was boring, but with a Renazco saddle, reasonably comfortable, so long distances certainly are possible!
  13. Michael15

Michael15 Adventurer

Oddometer:

The 530 will do excellent. I've had mine on single track, desert riding, motocross track and some pavement! I need to fix my heating issue for tight stuff but the bike is very versatile!!
  14. Krazyjohnny

Krazyjohnny Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just this weekend rode mine about 20+ miles on the I-75 freeway at traffic pace with no issues. The cool thing is the looks you will get.:wink:

The Plano police actually did a double take when I went by them too. I kind of stick out being a portly fellow in Hi-viz yellow on a orange machine. On the road I think it is a great color combo.
  15. Krazyjohnny

Krazyjohnny Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the desmog.... I did something a little different with mine in that I rerouted the crankcase tube into the air box. The airfilter will allow the crankcase to breathe and also help filter the air it breathes. less dirt in engine = longer life. I just drilled a hole into the air box and installed a barb fitting of the appropriate size and Presto!
  16. Crazy_Dave

Crazy_Dave Back'in it in

Oddometer:
    03 450EXC (RFS motor) woody/trail , 36mi each way to work, I love this bike. Just picked up another set of rims so now I have street and dirt covered in about a 20min change.
  17. haknslash

Oddometer:
  18. Tourmeister

Tourmeister What's that funny noise?

Oddometer:
    Finally got to put my new to me 2010 KTM 530 through the paces at Big Bend Ranch State Park... I'm in love... :norton

My first (and NOT last) trip to Big Bend Ranch & State Park 12/28/11-01/01/12

The only serious "mod" was the 13/52 sprocket setup, which rocked! I also had to tweak the suspension settings because the guy I got it from was a wee bit larger than me, but once dialed in... :clap

Time to go back through this thread though for some of the "How-To" stuff so I can get the post adventure maintenance done before then next ride.

My only remaining issue with the bike is bar risers/hand guards. I like the Rox risers, but I also want guards that mount back to the top plate of the bar clamp instead of on the bars. I have heard the bolt pattern on top of the Rox risers don't jive with the top plate for any of the guards that mount to the plate and I don't have access to facilities to fabricate a custom piece. The Enduro Eng guards that are on the bike now interfere with the ability to roll the clutch controls forward so it is more comfy for the wrist while standing. I am not set on Rox risers though, so if anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears :ear
  19. Weldit

Weldit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you might like these then as they retain the stock bar clamps and spacing
    Dirtinblood Riser Install - ADVrider
    shown on a 950 here - but they fit all ktm's
    -----------------------------------------------------
    not sure if they will bend when you crash hard
    but any riser held on with one 10mm bolt on each side is prone to bending
    even the added leverage of the 2" rox can bend the stock bolts/mounts
    the strongest and most expensive is the replacement top triple clamp from BRP or others
    as then you get away from the whimpy stock mounting bolts
  20. jms415

jms415 KTM disciple

Oddometer:
    I have the KTM hard parts 5.5 gallon tank for the long trips on my 2010 450EXC champs edition. It is great out in the desert, I get about 43 mpg with my gearing. So doing the math, I get about 235 miles. It fits the bike real nice. At 6'3", I like the fit between my hairy legs. Plus my other 2 wheeler is a 950 Super Enduro, so this tank is a more of what I am used too. This bike rips!

Attached Files: