2010 Yamaha Tenere

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Belhamel, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    It took a lot to drag me away from my DR650, but this Tenere is a beautiful bike to look at and ride. It's stable, predicable and a pleasure to get around on. I've heard of shorter riders not being able to get their feet on the ground but I understand that you can lower them a little. I'm 6'4" so it's a match made in heaven at the moment.:wink:
  2. AirLand

AirLand n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks like I am in!

Thanks all!
  3. Dash65

Dash65 wherethefarkarewe?

Oddometer:
    Trust me, you won't regret it. :D

Cheers,
    Darrell

4. regie308

regie308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well it has all finally taken place guys... about 2 months ago i sold the Tenere and even sold the old WR, so me and the little fella got one last pic with one of the best adventure bikes out there, very sad to see her go :cry.... but to suit my new plans it had to be done.

[​IMG]

so with both bikes sold.... it let me divert the funds to "one" bike.... the WR replacement: HUSKY TE511 :evil:tb:

[​IMG]

I'll always pop in here from time to time to see what you blokes are up to with trips and mods and hopefully might bump into ya's out on the trails in the future over some erosion jumps :lol3
    Thanks guys for the shits and giggles and the sharing of idea's :thumb

P.S i have put a little thought into possible mods to make this new TE511 "a little" ADV compatible but for the meantime its just trail blaze'n for me
  5. AussieMasada

AussieMasada Worlds Slowest Ural

Oddometer:
    Good onya Reggie, it has been good sharing farkle ideas and mods :freaky. I am about to put mine up for sale as it looks like I am off again over seas. Looking at going 3 wheels on my return. I know my knees will thank me as will my lad when he can come riding with dad instead of watching me go.
  6. OzRob

OzRob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have just returned from a four day trip in the Victorian High Country, on day two I thought that the rear end was sagging a bit....I broke the rear shock.
    This is the bike loaded,
    https://ozrob.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...012/i-wMKBL3K/0/M/2012-04-0207-57-08499-M.jpg

And this is what I found, the cam lugs had broken off...hopefully it will be covered under warranty?,
    https://ozrob.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...012/i-qVmrDDG/0/M/2012-04-0518-51-50110-M.jpg
    https://ozrob.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...012/i-sgVCJ3C/0/M/2012-04-0518-53-52187-M.jpg

But the bike still handled well around the corners...no 'chicken strips' here....what a hoot...
    https://ozrob.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...012/i-pfFhMPZ/0/M/2012-04-0412-32-35345-M.jpg
    https://ozrob.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...2012/i-ztjkNzN/0/M/2012-04-0412-33-0517-M.jpg

Update:
    The dealer replaced the shock under warranty, Interestingly Yamaha had one in stock, the dealer as surprised that they had one in stock....
    I decided to spot weld the cam lugs in place with the MIG welder so hopefully they won't break off again.
  7. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    Read about that happening before, I think you're the first to post a pic of it. Another good reason to get an ohlins shock....
  8. OzRob

OzRob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you know if the cush drive rubbers are worn?, according to the XT660Zworkshop manual they just advise to replace if worn, no specifications or measurements.
    Anothe rthing I have found is that the sprocket hub is wearing on the rim hub, the bearings are OK but the cush rubbers may be worn out, are the dimples wear indicators?
    Has anyone had them replaced under warranty as the bike has only done 12,000km? or are the cush rubbers considered a wear part like brake pads?

https://ozrob.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Motorcycle-Travels/i-C78Ftp3/0/M/2012-04-0718-36-04160-M.jpg
    https://ozrob.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Motorcycle-Travels/i-QLhwkx8/0/M/2012-04-0718-36-1785-M.jpg
    https://ozrob.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Motorcycle-Travels/i-npKg7KL/0/M/2012-04-0718-37-17937-M.jpg
  9. Nickj

Nickj Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I have had to replace my Cush drive rubbers with every tyre change , so at about 4000km on average. I ride mainly off road and you can feel the delayed response on the throttle and snatch when worn. Also if you can move the sprocket with your hand while the bikes still they are worn.

I doubt warranty will cover them but why not try , they are not cheap if bought from yamaha.

Their are a few mods to pack out worn rubbers with inner tube but I bought 5 sets from off the road and have got 1 set left so I'll try the mod after that.

Nick
  10. Dash65

Dash65 wherethefarkarewe?

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested in this as well, Only done 10000km so far and have 1 month warranty left.

Cheers,
    Dash
  11. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    Mine look just like yours Rob, and I've only done 5500 kms....:cry I'd be interested to hear what Yamaha think about warranty claims......:ear
  12. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Have seen one set in little pieces of rubber with 5000 klms on the clock, same bike has needed a new set every 5000 klm so far. Not sure why this should happen as other brand bikes I have owned with Cush hubs have never needed replacement rubbers.

Sounds like either a design or manufacturing fault to cause that level of wear.
  13. boneman660

boneman660 Try Hard

Oddometer:
    From what I've seen over at www.xt660.com, Yamaha will try to deny you replacement under warranty. I have ordered extra cush rubbers from OTR. They are made by SW Motec and appear slightly harder than the factory ones. We'll see..... The SW Motec bushes from OTR are also significantly cheaper than the Yammy ones.

The cush drive mod described at xt660 is easy as you'll see. The other thing with the cush drive is to maintain your chain tension on the tight side to minimise the backlash from your drivetrain. But I'm thinking you're onto that one already.

Good luck with your warranty claim. Boneman :freaky
  14. OzRob

OzRob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will have a chat with the dealer on Tuesday and see what they say.....If not under warranty I will get a few sets from OTR.
    Thanks all for the advise....
  15. OzRob

OzRob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found this on the ZXT660 forun......we might be out of luck with the cush drive rubbers....I might just pack them with an old innertube till the new ones come from OTR...

Here is the very nice email I sent to Yahamaha Australia yesterday:

I recently had my 2008 XT660R serviced by Geoff Taylor Motorcycles in Dandenong - this was a standard scheduled 15,000 kms check. Based on comments from a Broken Hill Yamaha Agent who had previously fitted a new rear tyre at around 11,000 kms I asked that the rear cush rubbers be checked during the service and if appropriate be replaced - I did also suggest that my expectation was that this would be a warranty replacement.

The Geoff Taylor Service Department indicated that the cush drive rubbers had indeed started to disintegrate and that they had been replaced but this would be to my cost because Yamaha Australia consider these parts to be a "wear" item and as such would not cover the cush rubbers under a warranty claim.

I have carefully checked the Yamaha Service and Warranty booklet supplied with my bike and can find no such exclusion for these items. As a member of the xt660.com web site I am also aware that many members around the world have had these specific items replaced under warranty. Furthermore, problems with cush rubber wear and disintegration have been well reported around the world with many riders stating that they do seem to be a specific XT660 model weak spot.

I must state that as a repeat customer of the Geoff Taylor Service Department I am in no way dissatisfied with the work performed or the service provided but just the Yamaha Australia Warranty position on parts that do seem to be somewhat deficient.

Can I ask that Yamaha Australia formally state their warranty policy for these items and indicate what they consider to be a reasonable service life expectation when the bike is used for its intended purpose.

And here's the (not so) nice reply from Yamaha Australia received today:

Consumable items are not covered by Yamaha warranty, as outlined in the owners handbook (extract attached - this was the standard page in the Warranty book that while it mentions just about every other part on the bike does not mention cush drive rubbers).

Cush rubbers to wear out at 11,000kms would be considered normal wear and tear and not a warranty repair item.

Regards,
    Duilio Pianca - Customer Relations Department
    Yamaha Motor Australia

So there you have it folks Yamaha look like they expect the service life of cush drive rubbers in a XT660 to be around 10,000 kms - seems any more than that and you're just being very lucky or simply overly expectant !!!

The hurt part - I note that the price that has tended to be mentioned here is around the GBP 20 ~ 25 mark so why in Oz do they cost $100 (or approximately GBP 60). Gee it must be a long boat ride from Japan
  16. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rob, thought as much. OTR it is.:cry
  17. Caddyshack

Caddyshack Caddyshack

Oddometer:
    Hi Boys, Im looking to get some soft panners mainly to keep weight down, can you use the andy staps ones without a frams?
    does any have soft panners with out frames?
    what are the best ones to get?

Cheers Caddy Shack
  18. Nickj

Nickj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm just experimenting with at Giant Loop from Adventure Moto , it looks ideal as a light weight solution :clap

I have it mounted on the hump of the seat to keep weight forward and keep the rear rack free for tent or fuel bladder .

The Andy bags would need a rack like the wolfman to keep them off the pipes.
  19. Caddyshack

Caddyshack Caddyshack

Oddometer:
  20. regie308

regie308 Long timer

Oddometer: