The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Unclejimmy1

Unclejimmy1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am nearly 70 ,and I bought the crf250l about 2 months ago,,,,,love it, I have installed GPS,,Acrebsis bar protectors, richeches SP. bash plate. . 2 stage heatroller for vest and gloves,,,and a givi top case,,,,on a cycleracks rack, next mod will be seat concepts seat,,,and maybe a 13 tooth sprocket.. And a holder for a SPOT.
    This bikes real fun, and does everything well,,,, wanted a wr250 r,,, but the price and dependability factor ,influenced me to pull the trigger on the MOUNTAIN GOAT....it's hard to beat a Honda.......:clap:clap
  2. Creekgeek

Creekgeek Master Finger Painter

Oddometer:
    my spelling is bad
    I'm mentally challenged
    glad you were not mad

:freaky
  3. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the nice comments folks! Byron, thank you for your comments as well as your business! We think that the new CRF shock is a good option as it is right up the center of our expertise here at Cogent. Byron's shock is a 1 off custom but was built based off of a comprehensive analysis of the OEM shock, wheel rates and our customers needs and experience. We are very selective about how we setup a shock and beyond the calculations and design consideration, customers preferences and perceptions of the suspension performance is foremost in our design criteria. I know that for me, I need to spend time with a setup, not just through differing lading and terrain but even through different moods that I may have before I am willing to accept my own satisfaction. If a good level of interest develops, we would be interested in doing some kind of group buy with special incentives for the participants. We would want to be sure to get good feedback from the participants and assure that each customer is fully satisfied with their personal setups. With that accomplished, Cogent Dynamics would add the CRF shock as a standard product. The list price for one of these standards would be $625, $30 more than the Moab shock with the same features. Once the production numbers became inline with the Moab, the pricing would technically be the same. Unfortunately, with the cost of our parts (all made in the USA by motorcycle enthusiasts) the Moab is likely to see a price hike anyhow since it has been at the same price for about 5 years.

The OEM rear shock is revalvable and rebuildable but is not really designed to be so, causing some compromises in doing so (namely the addition of a fill port and the crimped in separator piston). Having said that, fitting a new spring to the OEM shock is something we can do with no trouble. Revalving the shock is no real problem at about $200. Once we start talking about adding a rebound adjuster (much as we do to the DR650 shocks) I feel it is more cost effective to replace the shock as a unit since with revalve, rebound adjuster and a new spring would total over $500 with parts and labor.

I appreciate all of your comments.
  4. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    The XR400R folding shifter are 5 5/8 and 1 5/8 respectively....the 1 5/8 could easily be stretched to 2"...5 5/8 might be nice if you have big feet
  5. koh kood

koh kood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could someone recommend a magnetic tank bag? I really don't want the strap on type.
  6. Bob80

Bob80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. Willard

Willard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    See Post 905.
  8. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:
    Here's the post...
  9. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you peel the whole tank off for fueling or can you access the filler when you unzip it from the base?
  10. koh kood

Oddometer:
    I was sort of looking for one about 1/4 that size. For trail riding that would be way too large IMO.
  11. Lucky62

Lucky62 Dreamer Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    ....it's hard to beat a Honda.......:clap:clap

Perzactly......:thumb:thumb
  12. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    I had an old Nelson-Rigg magnetic tank bag kicking around that's to small for my FJR, tried it on my CRF. Bingo! Big enough to hold some useful stuff. Small enough to not get in the way standing on the pegs.

[​IMG]
    Singlespeed92 likes this.
  13. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    My old Joe Rocket Manta fits and sticks nicely but it is very small.

Gloves, wallet, cellphone, water bottle, and it's full

[​IMG]
    Singlespeed92 likes this.
  14. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the company is igio....fairly small,has four magnetic thingys.
  15. koh kood

Oddometer:
    Thank's for the suggestions on the tank bag.
  16. Kankujoe

Kankujoe Adventure Traveller

Oddometer:
    Missouri, west central, south of Kansas City
    I also use a Joe Rocket Manta tank bag.
  17. macinthailand

macinthailand n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    I am new to this site and have had this 250L since March (in Thailand). I was wondering if anyone has located a service manual for it yet? I have had leaking fork seals since almost new and had a friend bring me some new seals back from the states. I would like to service the forks and replace the seals but am hesitant to try without a service manual. Even stock parts are almost non existent here. Mine is made in Thailand and customer support sucks. I tried Honda in Japan but they keep referring me to Honda of Thailand. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!:clap
  18. koh kood

Oddometer:
    This might help a bit. Would Honda Big Wing in BKK not assist you? I'd like to get hold of a service manual too.[​IMG]
  19. JapanLemon

JapanLemon -

Oddometer:
    Been out again, and I think I want a bashplate. I don't find the seat too uncomfortable, though I haven't done more than 200km on it yet in a day (yesterday about 60km in maybe two hours).

Anyways, is there any video up with a CRF 250 L and FMF Q4 exhaust, to check what it sounds like?

[​IMG]
  20. Red_dog

Red_dog Dirt Road Sniffer outerer

Oddometer:
    Warranty! dont touch it! get the dealership to fix it.