GPS Tracker on bikes?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by GazzaFish, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Oz Nutter

Oz Nutter Long timer

Oddometer:
    it works for the banks, how abut a dye bomb?
    cover the offenders with chilli/dye etc
  2. bend27

bend27 by hook or by crook

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. itsgunnahurt

itsgunnahurt Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer:
    Chilli bomb, under the seat, shooting directly upwards?
  4. Twomsta

Twomsta n00b

Oddometer:
    I see the thread has gone quite over the past few months, but I'd appreciate it if anyone could clarify the coverage aspect of these trackers.

From what I understand, most of these cheaper compact gps trackers use GPS, GPRS and GSM networks and send off the coordinates either by preset time intervals or by being contacted by another phone. If the physical location of the tracking device is outside of the GPRS/GSM coverage network I assume that it won't receive the incoming call or message and will therefore fail to send out the coordinates...is this right?

If so, why would these devices be any better than say a smart phone that relies on the same networks (GPS/GPRS/GSM) and a tracking app such as life360?

I'm trying to decide what to take with me on my trip round Australia, but I don't particularly want to outlay the money for specific gps tracking plans such as those that are required for the SPOT trackers.

Cheers!
  5. regie308

regie308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    another hiding idea.......

install a dummy gps tracker thats sort of easy to find, even make it look wired in..... then put the real one in a harder to find spot.

should increase the chances of even fooling the smarter ones!!
    :1drink
  6. GazzaFish

GazzaFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, ive got my GPS tracker delivered but haven't installed it yet because well, I've been too lazy :)

Stay tuned, hopefully over the next few weeks I'll fit it and do a full review for you guys… :deal
  7. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    ?

You wanna hard wire a smart phone to your bike or just give the thief yours so you can catch him later? Obviously I missed something there?
  8. Twomsta

Twomsta n00b

Oddometer:
    :huh No I don't want to hard wire my smart phone into my bike. As I said, I'm doing a trip round Oz and am looking into GPS trackers so that friends and family can keep track of my movements, nothing to do with bike theft at all.

Anyone out there know the advantages of these gps trackers vs a smart phone with a track app? (FOR TRAVEL USE, NOT THEFT).

Thanks
  9. GazzaFish

GazzaFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Believe it or not, my SPOT tracker got stolen with my bike :( If they ever turned it on, i'd know where they are but they never did.

I realise the limitations of a SIM card based GPS tracker compared to a SPOT tracker (satellite) but at less then $50 and no subscription fee I think its worth doing. The GPS tracker I bought simply does best guess at its longitude and latitude based on satellite (and if it cant pick them up), using mobile phone towers etc.. Basically you send the tracker an SMS and all it does it send an SMS back with the longitude and latitude. It required a SIM card obviously so you'd need to buy a card with no expiry date etc..

Obviously the whole system only works if the bike is within mobile phone coverage area. As my bike is my daily ride, I am working on the theory that i'd know its been stolen within a couple of hours and I am also assuming that whoever stole it would probably quickly store it in a garage somewhere in which case i might have a chance. All good in theory…..
  10. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I read the bit about around Oz, but your reasons weren't mentioned. The discussion up till that point had been about theft. My mistake.

Numbers, I think you can get different kinds of prepay? AFAIK all my credit is 12 months but you do have to buy atleast certain amount each time. Maybe clear it up at a Telstra shop. My Defy is working good (used it on fri) the last time I put credit on that sim card was back in June.