The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. toddol1971

toddol1971 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    man that rode looks like fun. It sure is beautiful there. Is that way out in the country? If your loving lost's riding area, move on over here. we'd love to have ya.
  2. toddol1971

toddol1971 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i meant road. duh
  3. toddol1971

toddol1971 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All these photos remind me of where I live, Southern Illinois. Beautiful.
  4. DirtyBlackIrish

DirtyBlackIrish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only reason I ask is that the dealer told me it causes clutch problems.
  5. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^Oh. ok. i thought i'd read somewhere that it was bad for the shaft bearing.

i wish i could sort out where to get chain links.
  6. DirtyBlackIrish

Oddometer:
    Something kinda funny, after I posted what the dealer had told me I did some searching on oil and holy cow it's a very controversial topic. I had no idea hahahahaha! Anyway, what I read and seamed more convincing to me was that synthetic was indeed better in the engine. Most references on thumpers not using it were in relation to extreme performance engines with excessive heat. Even then, it was at best speculative I think. So, sorry for passing on bunk info!
  7. EEKAMOUSE

EEKAMOUSE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know the triple clamp torque spec? Thx for the info in advance!
  8. trainman

trainman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well it's true, oil can be quite controversial on most threads and it's not unusual to go into 100 plus post on it. I would say, anyone who wants to find out all about OIL should just go to the Search button and have at it. Oh, by the way, I use Shell Rotella T Synthetic in my bikes, why, because if I can get it a WalMart for $20.00 for four quarts its got to be good. :wink:

John
  9. Krono

Krono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For 1.5 liter every 12'000km, I wouldnt bother to pay the price for the best one can buy
    As owner manual says, check it isnt "energy concerving" oil. Thats because it contains additives that may lead to clutch slipping.

L
  10. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The following video demonstrates how the wet clutch in a motorcycle operates. As the video explains, the wet clutch in your motorcycle won't work properly with energy conserving, motor oil.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RKzowCJG7WA?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Spud :wave
  11. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. DirtyBlackIrish

Oddometer:

Hahahahahaha
  13. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let's stop before it starts. :norton

On cbr250.net forum, there is a thread on doing the oil change, nice photos and all...it turned into a heated argument about oil, quite an absurd one too.

btw, the rear sprocket... the Renthal sprockets listed on ebay for CRF250L, i think they are actually CRF250R sprockets - in the pic (which is not very clear and cannot be enlarged) the bolt holes appear to have the countersink (instead of the flat recess that the CRF250L sprocket should have.) And the Renthal website does not list CRF250L. The holes could be drilled out to 10 mm, if there is enough space, but WTH, why are there no sprockets available? I was a bit surprised to see that the Honda parts manual only has the stock 14 and 40 sprockets; usually you get alternative / different size OEM sprockets.

I'm waiting for a local dealer to call me back about oil filters and gaskets - like do they have stock or how long would it take to get them. (Their system not working or something.) I explained to him that the CRF250L and the CBR250R have the same motor, so he could search it either way.
    As usual, i know more about it than the dealer. :deal:norton
  14. JapanLemon

JapanLemon -

Oddometer:
    "Way out" is relative, Japan is really not that big. Where I live it's something like 150 kilometers coast to coast from west to east, with mountains in the middle. So even though those pictures are countryside, it's not far away. In Japan you never have to go far to get to the countryside, and vice versa you get from countryside to cities very quick.

And if I had the money, or the job to move where LostRider is riding his bike, I would :D Interestingly though there is a slight chance that I'll be relocation to the US for work in 2014, I was already asked if I could imagine doing so.
  15. SugarDust

SugarDust Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer:

The xr250r late model front sprockets fit - I got 2 sizes for my bike, rear sprockets here:

http://sprocketcenter.com/index.php/off-road-sprockets/honda/crf-models/crf-250-l-2013.html
  16. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. SugarDust

Oddometer:
  18. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:
    sprocketcenter, note:
    You can see in the image there; they have the normal countersink 8mm holes and the 10 mm recessed holes are added so it fits CRF250L.

They are JTR301, listed for various XR250, XR600, XR650.
  19. SugarDust

Oddometer:
    yes thats right - the first rear sprocket they sent me was shipped without the countersink - I called and he sent a new one properly drilled out immediatly (basically an oops) . Oh and btw, the XR650L sprocket bolts work.
  20. itrack

itrack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run Rotella T6 Synthetic in everything I own, 4x4 Tundra, Civic, ES300, CR250, IT200, CRF250L, lawn mower, spec Miata, etc. You can get it at Walmart, been running it for 4 years now in everything. My friends call me the "product tester". Every friend of mine now runs Rotella. Great oil, cheap, found everywhere. What else could you want.

The 94-04? XR250R front JT 13t sprocket from motorcycle-superstore is $13. Just ordered one last week.