Vintage RM80 experts out there?

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by athomerecords25, Feb 16, 2013.

1. athomerecords25

athomerecords25 Banned

Oddometer:
    Buddy just dropped me off a Roach (I mean really beat up) Vintage Suzuki RM80. Frame Vin: RM80-220XX, I think it is an 1977 or 1978. Any experts out there that can give me an exact year?

Gonna start washing it and stripping it down for Rebuild today. Then pondering Stock Restore? FMF Jeff Ward Replica or DG Replica (of the 1980-1981 models)?

Edit:
    Lots of views but no answers so I will XX out part of the Vin.

The Complete *ROACH* As It Was Delivered (poor abused bike):
    http://www.vitalmx.com/photos/membe.../RM80tryingtofindtheyear,64520/Mixon848,25684
  2. athomerecords25

athomerecords25 Banned

Oddometer:
    There don't seem to be many of these 1977 Suzuki RM80's around. I have seen a few in my search over the past 2 days. They range from $350 to $500 running with everything there. I did see one all restored for $1,500.

I am going to do some further research and see what Mini Racers were aboard these bikes back then, I know Jeff Ward rode the 1978 Suzuki RM80 with the Red Frame and Rims and Modified by FMF Racing (really Modified by Jeff Ward's father but had FMF Stickers all over it).

Since there aren't many of these bikes out there still living I really want to save it. Everyone will be shocked at the difference already. I will post pictures hopefully tomorrow night and then I have to pull off the swingarm and shocks.

I will try to post everything along the way (I am terrible with keeping up with these things) so that anyone out there that has one can follow along.
  3. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    Love to see some pics.

I never owned one myself (I had outgrown 80's by then), but a short ass mate had one.

Those were the days.
  4. athomerecords25

athomerecords25 Banned

Oddometer:
    It is pouring cats and dogs here in Northern California right now but I will break out some space heaters here in a little bit and start spraying the Gas Tank.
  5. athomerecords25

athomerecords25 Banned

Oddometer:
    I guess these little bikes didn't have much success until Jeff Ward piloted one in their 2nd year in 1978 (gosh that FMF bike was ugly with its Red & Yellow Scheme). The Suzuki RM80 really got its racing success with the likes of Bruce Bunch,Larry Brooks,Rick Hemme and of course Mike Healy. We all know the success that they had later with the R&D riders of Jimmy Gaddis, Buddy Anutunez, Mike Pascarella and Jeff Dement.

I guess I will go with a completely stock look. I think I will have Eric Gorr touch the cylinder a tiny bit (I have him touch all my bikes cylinders).
  6. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I worked for Curnutts back in those days and we supplied shocks for R&D racing (Rudy & Dean). They were thee back door Suzuki factory team. We also set up stuff for Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki. I remember those days well. I can't remember the riders name but I kicked one of the little mini stars out of the shop because he was an annoying little jackass.
  7. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    A good friend of mine had a fully tricked out DG AND FMF RM80. I am guessing it was '78 or '79. He use to race against Ward at least at the nationals. My friend won a National at Pocono in '79 I think?
  8. athomerecords25

athomerecords25 Banned

Oddometer:
    Yes sir all of the Factory Suzuki Mini Pilots were R&D Racing sponsored riders. They built some very fast Suzuki RM80's. I remember Jimmy Gaddis and Buddy Antunez bikes.
  9. athomerecords25

athomerecords25 Banned

Oddometer:
    I would love to see some old photos of his bikes.
  10. athomerecords25

athomerecords25 Banned

Oddometer:
    So I did a little prep work to the Gas Tank.

The Gas Tank and Fenders aren't really attached in the photo just kind of sitting on there. I am going to wet sand the Gas Tank and fix a few nicks. I am also going to grab a Front and Rear fender off of that auction site.

Should be able to get back to work on it. Saturday.

Updated Pic:
    http://www.vitalmx.com/photos/membe...After-A-Little-Prep-Work,64664/Mixon848,25684
  11. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    I don't have any. I am sure there are some photos of Mean Dean Travis out there? He died from complications of a crash years back now. He was always a lot of fun and he had a good heart.
  12. athomerecords25

athomerecords25 Banned

Oddometer:
    Sorry for your loss. Do you know if he rode Kawasaki 125's as an Intermediate?
  13. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    He stopped racing mini's for a while and then started racing again. Yes, he was then riding Kawasaki's I believe. The last time I saw him was while I was working at Mid Mo. HD/Kawasaki. I think he was riding their bikes for a while before I worked there? The owner of that place helps out a lot of racers. Including numerous future National Champions that I know of via Dave Burks and Jones Power Sports but they were riding flat track. I think he was on a 250 when he got hurt real bad. We use to ride together when we were kids. I was the reason he got his first RM. I turned his Mini Enduro into a pretzel! LOL. I made the jump but the bike didn't! I was then too big for mini's.
  14. athomerecords25

athomerecords25 Banned

Oddometer:
    I think I saw that name associated with Kawasaki KX125 and an Intermediate. I used to have a 1971 Yamaha 60 JT1. I wish I still had that thing around for my daughter to ride.
  15. athomerecords25

athomerecords25 Banned

Oddometer:
    I had just finished spraying the Gas Tank on the 1977 Suzuki RM80 with its final clear coat when there was a mishap.

Huge dent, Big area with the paint taken down to the bare metal. Now to strip it all the way back down, fix the dent and start the process all over again.

:cry