Anyone ever buy a bike from Canada

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by drdfblackm, Mar 22, 2013.

1. drdfblackm

drdfblackm VeeFeer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am looking at a bike in Canada and I was wondering if anyone has ever went through registering and titling a bike in the states. I am in Flagstaff AZ so we do not have emissions and I can pretty much get anything plated and titled as long as it has mirror, horn, and brake/tailight. With that being said...anyone do it recently?? What was needed? Was it a PITA?

Just looking for any input or suggestions.
  2. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Take a look in the Canadian forum in the regional section. I've seen it talked about a few time there.

Not sure what you're looking at that would make it worthwhile coming up here... Unless you really want a bike like my CBF1000. :deal
  3. drdfblackm

Oddometer:
    Seller is actually willing to deliver on the way to Phoenix.

It is a street 2 smoke.:evil
  4. Scoobynut

Scoobynut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it's older than 25 years old it's pretty easy. However, if it's newer than 25 years old it can be difficult. There are some newer bikes that are 'exempt' because they are pretty much identical to the U.S. models. Even then, though, I think you need to get a statement from the (Candadian) O.E. manufacturer to import it. But, if it was a Canada only model, it could be a huge hassle. You'll have to do some digging at NHTSA and DOT websites. Or trying googling 'Importing a vehicle from Canada to the U.S.' or something along those lines.
  5. drdfblackm

Oddometer:
    Done all that searching on google and found a few government sites that had some stuff but I figured I would try here with the inmates for first hand info

The bike is a 1985 RZ350.
  6. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat. In my case I want a new GSX 650 F. I bought a 2008 leftover 2 years ago down here, as a short-term "interim" bike. I've totally fallen in love with it. It's damn near the perfect balance of sport & tour for me. Unfortunately, they've been dropped from the US since 2010. They still sell well in the rest of the world (Canada included) & they now have ABS, a real plus for me. I'd love to know what the real costs would be, to trade my '08 for a new '13 up in the great white north. The Que. border is only about an 8 hour ride from my house & if the numbers worked out, I could do it in a weekend. I'll be monitoring this thread with interest.
  7. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're golden. The RZ was sold in the US as an '84 and '85 model year bike. The Canadian model is identical.
  8. CaribooBC

CaribooBC "Путін, іди нахуй"

Oddometer:
    Actually they're not. The US version had catalytic converters in the pipes so it would pass US EPA requirements. Added a bunch of weight and neutered their power significantly. Also in 85 the Canadian model had a full fairing whereas the US model made due with the bikini fairing.
  9. ZZ-R Rider

ZZ-R Rider Average Guy

Oddometer:
    Not sure about importing Canadian motorcycles in the U.S., but importing pre-owned U.S. Bikes into Canada is a relatively straight forward process ... I personally know several people who have done it and none had any trouble what so ever ... my brother bought and imported an '09 Harley-Davidson FLSTC from Arkansas a couple of years ago ... a limited edition model (Firefighter Tribute), 1 of only 30 made for that model year in fire-engine red ... had only 1200mi on it ... he got an unbelievable deal on the Bike and that particular version was never available in Canada!
  10. hapbob

hapbob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would like to hear how this goes...I have never bought from Canada...
    But I can see it from back Yard.

Hap
  11. Scoobynut

Scoobynut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It doesn't matter in this case (except as regards better performance from the Canadian version) as the bike is over 25 years old; all cars and bikes over that age are EPA and DOT exempt. Let us know how the 'new' bike works out, drdfblackm.
  12. dilandau

dilandau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i've not done it, but only because my research into it showed it to be an (nearly?) impossible prospect for the bike i was looking at. But for your rz, you will be fine.

the only bikes that are "impossible" are years/models never sold in the US.
  13. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have seen quit a few canadian RZ350 plated in CA so I am sure it could be done in other states
  14. rride

rride Honda NH 750

Oddometer:
    I don't know how, but it is doable, but maybe the 25 year limit had something to do with it. Here is a 1981 sold on Ebay for $6100 (wow, in perfect condition!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-Yamaha-RD350LC-not-RD350-RD400-RZ350-TZ250-/290872481048?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item43b959d518#ht_500wt_1182

It was like the RZ except without the complicated cylinder head stuff that was supposed to be a benefit (but breaks quite often for thousands of dollars each time). The RD350LC above, in that shape especially, is the perfect 2 stroke street bike (run it 50K miles on one top end job): and it came from Canada I'm sure originally. From Canada, they seem to get imported into AZ mostly, and sometimes CA (but those might be second USA owners for either place). Good luck, but I'd be weary about Canadian bikes. Their winters are worse than rust belt states in the US, and I wouldn't own one of those, ymmv - good luck.