Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Boianovich

Boianovich Old and Cautious

Oddometer:

I also run the FB tires and am happy with how they run and wear. I run them at 28/24 off road. My only complaint is with the front and how it tracks, or doesn't track. I'll be getting a more aggressive front as it seams every time I go down it's because the front didn't track, especially in the mud or loose sand.
  2. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I've used up several. I got a little over 7000 miles out of the first one (that was all commuting, day rides, etc) and about 5500 out of the second one (that included a 4000-mile Labrador/Newfoundland trip). The one on my XC now has a little over 6000 miles on it, which includes a 3000-mile trip, and I'll be replacing it in the next few days.

It stands to reason, of course, that a tire will wear faster on a trip because it's getting heated up more, for longer sustained periods, than when doing shorter day rides or commuting.

While the rear would probably make it, it would be pretty much bald in the middle by that point, so I'd replace it before leaving.

Try the IRC TR8 knobby on the front -- I ran that combination on the Trans-Labrador Highway and really liked it. Works great on pavement, grips well on dirt, and wears at about the same rate as the FB rear.

--mark
  3. PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer:
    And add the cost of the HT Tool Rack-$50 plus shipping....:evil
  4. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Any 50/50 tire will wash out on dirt or soft surfaces. Since the front is so easy to change out consider a 50/50 tire on the back, match one on the front for mostly road, then change out to a dot knobby when you're going to be doing a lot of off pavement.

The TR8 is a decent tire, it resists cupping quite well. Certainly a lot better than a D606. An even better tire is the Pirelli Scorpion Rally. It works fine on road but grips like velcro off. I haven't run one on the tiger, but put about 3500 miles on one on my husky. check 'em out.

Alternatively, a TKC80 for the front. Just beware the sidewall is soft so if you air down at all you risk pinch flats. The rally doesn't do that. The TKC's are well liked for road and reasonable offroad - a favorite of the GS crowd.

The D908 is another one to consider. Well liked by the 950-990 ktm guys, but any that have run the rally like it better. The rear rally is not favored as much and doesn't come in tiger size anyway.
  5. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    Oh ya, i forgot about that :lol3, mine cost 0 pennies. :wink:, so, I'm still in for $40 :deal. That would be a very simple piece to fab.
  6. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mark and fbj, for the input. Although I only have about 2.3K on the set, I'll be swapping the front soon. I do ride a good bit of street but get off piste enough to not mind a little reduced front pavement performance for more dirt piece of mind. The full bore won't be lonely sitting next to the original tires that have bout 1K miles on them...

Unless anyone out there wants a cheap set of stock tires :deal Before I get bored and burn up the rear :eek1 My neighbors pissed me off last weekend, may be time to retaliate and smoke them out :ksteve
  7. rrr70

rrr70 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Figured out the issue I had with bike refusing to turn after installing Full Bore tires. Like a dumbass that I am, I somehow managed to put 30PSI in the front tire. No wonder it handled like shit on the road. :fpalm
  8. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    So what did you put it up to?
  9. rrr70

rrr70 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I learned the hard way, having to replace a tire in the middle of a trip is a PIA. If there is any chance of wearing it out I would change before I left.
  11. Applevalleyguy

Applevalleyguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Which did you pick and why?

Re: The stock screen When asked by my dealer what I thought about it I replied that if you could make it sink that it would make an FN great boat anchor.
    Cheers,
    Ed
  12. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am entirely happy with Triumph touring screen. It works perfectly for me.
    I think it is matter of how tall rider is. I am short and can go up to 210 kmph sitting straight with that screen.
  13. theDub

theDub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed. For me, the stock screen created vertices that spun up my chest and into my helmet from the bottom. This made it very windy and cold on my face and, even worse, sometimes bugs would be caught in the draft and be deposited directly into my helmet.

I went with a CalSci screen.
  14. rrr70

rrr70 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Can you take a photo when they are installed? That would be interesting.
  16. rrr70

rrr70 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will do
  17. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I'm asking because the Fastway F3 footpegs I tried were useless on the Tiger. Too short. The Adventure pegs would have worked but way overpriced for my taste.

So, take the warning, don't buy the Fastway F3 for the Tiger:

[​IMG]

Either go all the way up to the Adventure pegs or get something else. I decided to just stick with the stock pegs. Wanted it a bit lower, but on the Tiger the Fastways only get you about 4 to 5mm height difference, and spending > $200 for just that felt wrong. The sheepskin gives me about the same effect for my knees, plus it helps other body parts, too ... :lol3
  18. rrr70

rrr70 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    installation took about ten minutes (had to remove brake pedal and right heel guard)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are a bit shorter but much wider
    [​IMG]

Also installed Double take mirrors.

[​IMG]
  19. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Looks good. Not quite as short as the Fastway mounted. Do they give a lower platform?
  20. Blumtnman

Blumtnman Rider

Oddometer:
    I'll take your advice on the footpegs, the ones shown in your pic look awful.
    However your gearshift, Touratech?