Slavens racing Skid/Bash Plate

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Brendan33c, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Brendan33c

Brendan33c Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all

I have a black dog cycleworks side stand relocation bracket and am wanting to buy a skid/bash plate. Does anyone know if the slavens racing skid plate will fit with the black dog cycle works side stand relocation bracket?

Thanks
  2. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    That's the combo I have and it works fine.
  3. Lumberjeff

Lumberjeff River City MC

Oddometer:
    +1
  4. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    same here.

one tip, once you get the plate, check the fit. i found mine was really tight up front on the support bracket that holds the front 2 bolts. you can either grind down the welds on the front of the plate, or grind down the support. i did the support and it makes fitting a lot less hassle. used to be a constant battle not to cross thread the bolts. now it goes on without issue.

laramie :beer
  5. onewoodsrider

onewoodsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I need to upgrade my bash plate as well. I can see that the stock is ok until I get new tires :) Is their a reason you guys went with this skid plate over others?
  6. txbear55

txbear55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    High quality and good price!
  7. KamLeeR

KamLeeR Animal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    #1. Love mine, got the orange one!
  8. Brendan33c

Brendan33c Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Thanks for all the replies. Now to save some money, shipping to New Zealand gets expensive!
  9. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    It's at least $100 less expensive that the BDCW or Weld plates, but still provides good coverage. I've been running it for a year and a half and have no complaints.
  10. rburkat

rburkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I assume you guys are talking about this...

http://slavensracing.com/shop/skid-plates-for-ktm-690-enduro950990-adventure/

One issue that I see in this is there is no protection for hard direct impacts. Sure for flying bouncing rocks this plate seem good, but if you actually impact something non movable it seems it's metal on metal on your sump.

Important difference on the blackdog it seems is this big ass rubber stopper that sits between the plate and your engine. If you take an impact this will prevent the plate from pushing into your engine, and also it leviates the pressure on the mounting points during impact.

BlackDog
    [​IMG]

vs

Slavens
    [​IMG]
  11. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    While the BDCW plate is a nice piece,,, for something that is going to take a pounding, IMO way overpriced. I've had both and currently have the Slavens on my Adventure. It's taken some hits that basically stopped the bike dead in it's tracks. Yup it's bent and tweaked but that shows it's absorbing the impacts and not passing them though. You could buy the rubber block from BDCW to add to the Slavens and still be nearly $100 ahead.
  12. Sheep Shagger

Sheep Shagger Show me your fleece

Oddometer:
    You are confusing Superenduro and Adventure skidplates.
    The Blackdog & Slavens for the Adventure are the same, and perfectly acceptable. neither need the "block" shown.
    The Blackdog plate for the SE is a (IMO) lazy design copied from the ADV. It needs that block. This is because the rear mounts are not solid in any way (elliptical holes with rubber), and the front is mounting to the oil tank which hangs off the radiator. So on the SE there is absolutely zero solid mounting points skid plate. The ADV front mounting is solid.

After enough people complained, Blackdog added that rubber block to the SE plate. It's not needed on the ADV plate, and infact probably not the best thing to add, as you don't actually want to attach the plate to the engine. You just have no other option on the SE, but you do on the ADV.

I have both blackdog plates. IMO, the one on the ADV is great, the one on the SE is not really acceptable.
  13. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    There's some engineering in the stock skid plate that nobody has taken into account in the aftermarket. The Weld86 plate (no affiliation) is closest to a safe design to be under these big bikes.
  14. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    I'll bite. What's the engineering issue?
  15. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    The rear mounts are not supported very well on most of the skid plates. They are prone to bending over, sometimes enough to come loose from the mounting point(s). During the same or on the next big hit, the part of the mount perpendicular to the plate can punch a hole in your engine case.

The "fix" that a lot of people use is a bunch of washers meant to capture that rear mount as solid as possible. You don't want that rear mount captured that solid. The stock plate has the oval hole for a reason. They expect flex between the frame mounting point at the rear and the engine mount bracket at the front. The hole is shaped that way for a reason. Capturing that rear mount puts extra stress through the front engine mount and engine itself.

The Weld86 plate uses thicker material for the rear mounting tabs. The thicker material increases the bending strength of those mounting tabs. KTM boxed those rear mounts which makes them stronger in bending than any aftermarket design.
  16. rburkat

rburkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think I'm confusing anything. I'm just talking about the 990 adv plates.
    The black dog has the rubber block because it does serve a very good purpose as I described. And if they didn't have it at first, and they added it later, well it's for the reason to make the thing better.
    Assuming that the link and photo is of the slavens 990 adv plate, and description appears like it is, it does not seem to mention or have integrated the block, which I believe makes it worse.
    Of course neither "need" the block, just like you don't "need" a skid plate at all. But if you do "need" protection, then having the one with the block is better imho.
  17. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    Mine has taken some good hits, and the rear mounting tabs did develop a minor s-bend (easily straightened) but I cannot imagine a hit that could cause the plate to punch a hole in the case. I also don't understand the "fix," as it seems like people are fixing a non-issue.

I will say, both the Weld and the BDCW plates are beefier but they're heavier, more expensive and IMHO overkill.

18. rburkat

rburkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No need to imagine :D The rider kept riding and didn't even know it happened so it wasn't some catastrophic crash.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In this trip it was a hit direct from below, which bent the plate up, which caused it to hit the kickstand post, and it fractured and broke it off.
    I get that this is a differernt plate, but this is why I was saying that it's nice to have a plate with a large rubber stopper under it that will distribute a force instead of causing a big bend in the plate and the plate bend hitting something on the engine. But then again it's only a hole in the engine and saving $100 on a cheaper plate is well worth this minor inconvenience :D
    After all, a little JB weld on the trail and it's as good as new.
    [​IMG]
  19. Bartek990

Bartek990 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But then again it's only a hole in the engine and saving $100 on a cheaper plate is well worth this minor inconvenience :D
    After all, a little JB weld on the trail and it's as good as new.

Hi Radek,
    I haven't see that picture. It's Lica's bike? (A sticker did not hold up):D
    For a $100 you can buy one pound of JB and keep fixing the problem:rofl:rofl.
  20. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    This (link) is part of the reason the BD plate has the rubber block now.

You can check out more skid plate failures in this thread.