East of Phoenix Rider's Group

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by 750Volts!, Oct 21, 2010.

1. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you're well aware of the Million Dollar highway, right?

Nice San Juan Mountain/Alpine loop.

Have fun.
  2. IBRiding

IBRiding Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep,

I am definitely riding the million dollar and the Imogene Pass. I hope the carb works at that altitude.
  3. AZuwere

AZuwere Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take Engineer Pass (via Animas Fork) out of Silverton to Lake City, then back on Cinnamon Pass. Nice day ride. If nothing else, ride as far as Animas, it's a cool little ghost town east of Silverton.
  4. DOD

DOD rider #5

Oddometer:
    While you're at animas go up to California pass. The approach is beautiful even if you don't go to the top.

+1 on the alpine loop

-dod
  5. IBRiding

Oddometer:
    All,

Thanks for the Co info. Has anyone done the Black Bear pass? Is it as bad as i hear?

Thanks
  6. Mil T

Mil T Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Main rides should be Black Bear from Ouray to Telluride for lunch and gas then back over Imogene to Ouray.
    Ophir pass is another if your staying in Silverton area to ride to Telluride. Engineer pass and the Alpine loop is most popular ride. You should check to see if all passes are rideable now. They are sometimes closed due to snow season and don't get opened right away. Depending on type of rider you are, Black Bear is not bad. Only one small section of rock downhills and steps. It is a must ride even if you only go in to the top of the switch backs above the rock steps. If your only there for a week, you won't be able to take it all in. There's a nice ride south of Pagosa Springs that goes down to Chamas and around to Southfork and back west to Durango. Get some good maps of the area. The San Juan Mtns forest map is a must have while riding.
    Have fun. You'll want to come back again for more.
    Lot's of great brewery restraunts in Durango and Ouray. I think theres some in Pagosa Springs also.
    Mil T
  7. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    As Uncle Mil-T says, just the steps are a little tricky, but the house on that mountain top...WOW!! I wish I was there right now instead of working!
  8. nochain

nochain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey new to forum and this thread. I live in South Chandler. I have been riding for many years started in the dirt then been riding exclusively street race bikes for many years. Wanted to get back to my roots and bought a KTM SXC625. I have been working on it for several weeks and was looking to know if you guys know any place I can tool around locally. I dont have a truck anymore so I have to ride to the trails. Since its been a while since I have been in the dirt I would like to take some short AM ride before the heat of the day builds up to get some time on the bike. I am really frustrated because I live off of Queen Creek Road and Alma and there is noting but desert but its all res that I can see so I doubt I want to get chased and have the bike confiscated.

Do you know of any place near me I can "tool around" re-learn to get my boots down in a turn. I don't need much just be close and not get hassled?

Ron
  9. nochain

nochain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks 750Volts, do you know of a good map that clearly indicates res land in this area? Riding on the dirt is what I am after. I have several street bikes I ride currently.

I was thinking off two places:
    1. Off Riggs Rd and Beltline just at the South Eastern tip of Estrella Mt out of Ahwatukee heading west.
    2. Or Santan Mountain area on Bell road all the way south until the road ends.

If I had a good map I could determine if res land or not. I am sure there are accurate maps of this are indicating what tribe has what.
  10. AZuwere

AZuwere Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ron, what do you drive? Does it have a 2" receiver hitch? If so, use a hitch rack, like I do (on my truck!). Perfect for SUV's, etc when you have a dirt bike. I lived in Ocotillo for 10 years and now am a little further east. I just haul out to Queen Valley, etc with the Husky and my hitch rack.

http://www.joehauler.com/singlehaulers/355x220/image001.jpg as an example.

Ken
  11. nochain

nochain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Ken, I have a Mustang GT convertible not so great for hauling my KTM SXC626. On the other hand I just put turn signals and wired up the high/low beam so the bike now has all the stuff (horn, mirrors, brake light) making it ok for the street. I will be getting my TKC80 conties this week as well. the only issue is the tank size and I don't plan on changing this for a bit as they are very expensive.

Queen Valley is a haul just to tool around.......I wish I had my old truck crap.

I found several maps with res info but they really suck on the detail. It does look like Estrella is out completely and Santan is mostly out except for the East side to the North?
  12. nochain

nochain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hummm 750 now you have me thinking.......maybe I can put a hitch on it and have enough clearance. :evil This would be pretty cool if it works.
  13. blackliner91

blackliner91 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For anyone coming up this way, the Poco Fire is basically done and the 512 road should be reopened tomorrow.
  14. rickcool72

rickcool72 mOtOcIcLiStA

Oddometer:
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Forest Road 512 is the route to Young, AZ?
  15. NomorBills

NomorBills WesternExplorer

Oddometer:
    Chandler, AZ & Summer in the Pines, Pine, AZ
    yes from the north AKA 288
  16. rickcool72

rickcool72 mOtOcIcLiStA

Oddometer:
    I'm in the market for a dual sport motorcycle at least 650cc.
    Budget: ~$6,500.
    Any recommendations greatly appreciated!
  17. NomorBills

NomorBills WesternExplorer

Oddometer:
    Chandler, AZ & Summer in the Pines, Pine, AZ
    Find an older 550 KTM Go up not Back!

Did Ins. Total yours?
  18. rickcool72

rickcool72 mOtOcIcLiStA

Oddometer:
    Yes, no more Versys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgXFdNDvBJg
  19. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
  20. IBRiding

Oddometer:
    Ricardo,

You are welcome to take the DR650 out any time you like. I have nothing but great things to say about the DR but consider the source :lol3 I am waiting for the new turn signal replacment needed from my first single track ride in Colorado and a few other repairs but it should be good to go by next weekend.

PS Does anyone have a trick to remove a dent from a metal gas tank :eek1