2012 wee 650 ADV farkles for first long trip?!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by MariusD, Apr 2, 2013.

1. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finally got my '12 wee adventure, with side cases crash bar and a "better" shield (not really better). Initially I thought the bike would be fine as it sits from New Orleans to Miami (1k miles each way) but after 250 miles over 4 days I realized some comfort mods would make a world of difference.

I only have a week to get the parts and install them, so I'd really appreciate any and all input specifically as it pertains to comfort.

Right now I'm thikning:

Tusk bar risers
    Footpeg lowering kit - not sure where to get one though, but would be nice
    Throttle lock
    Windshield - not sure. I'm 6ft tall, anybody have one that works?!
    Usb power outlet to charge my phone
    Top case - not a necessity but might be nice.

I have an airhawk r pad from my old bike, so I think the stock seat should be fine.

If anyone has any suggestions on where to get this stuff or what brands work better and are quick to install, i would really really appreciate it!

I'm leaving next wednesday morning with whatever I can slap on the bike between now and then. Hope to make this a pleasant one and not so much a painful one. (fingers crossed)
  2. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok so luckily, I found time on my lunchbrake to order the following:

Tusk risers
    Ricks Footpeg Lowering kit
    Riks fork brace (seemed like a good idea and an easy install)
    Riks Mirror extenders

This is good, making good progress...

Next:

Need some easy solution to charge my phone
    Throttle lock
    Windshield

All ideas and suggestions welcome and appreciated!
  3. tommyhof

tommyhof Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you wear ear plugs, I'm 6-2" and still using original shield in the highest position, summer and winter, I have an 06, if you're going to do any off road a bash plate is a must, I have the ADVMOSTUFF I beleive, anyway have fun a Wee is the best bike out there IMHO......
  4. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
  5. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't typically wear earplugs, but I'm glad you metioned it. Need to get some!

No off road planed, no interest in it either, slabbin' it the whole way, so focus is highway/cruisin' comfort. This is why I got the fork brace, apparently it helps with crosswind stability.

The windshield situation on the '12 dl650 is interesting because the madstat bracket only works with older shields (07-11). It's looking like I have to replace the shield whether or not i get the bracket... need to do more homework on it still but I feel like if I don't do anything with the windshield and just get some of the other comfort mods done i'll still be a WAY ahead of the stock bike.

I'm tempted to try vibranators. My bike seems to have a slight buzz at 5000rpm. Doesn the bike smooth out any after break in? Not the end to all things, but this might be a $ 100 or so well spend in the long run. We shall see...

oh, maybe someone has a footpeg recommendation? Stockers are ok for a while, but wider ones would probably be nice after 400miles or so... thoughts?
  6. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on Rick's fork brace and mirror extenders...

+1 on Madstad mounting hardware. I also went with the Madstad windshield with the adjustable wing on top.

NFE
  7. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you liked them. The brace was pure impulse buy, but seems poeple like it for traveling, so I thought I'd roll the dice.

Curious about your windshiled:

Which specific windshield did you go with? and how tall are you? are you able to look over the windshield on the highway or do you look throught it?
  8. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Handguards... any thoughts?

Do they help on the highway, other than when it's raining?

I've never had any on my bikes so I have no idea... Maybe I should I get some for this trip...?!
  9. ALinUTAH

ALinUTAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just brought home a 2012 wee last weekend. I lurked on stromtrooper.com for a long time figuring out what I wanted to do. They seem to like the givi airflow windshield. Rode it about 600 miles home. I love the bike but the windshield has to be the absolute noisiest piece of crap ever invented. It's like having a jet engine in your face. Even with earplugs it's intolerable. Standing on the pegs gets my head in clean air and it's totally silent, so it's not my helmet. I will be removing mine until the givi gets here.

Other farkles...

Barkbuster handguards at twisted throttle. They are mainly to prevent breaking levers when you crash in the dirt. They don't really keep your ands dry in my experience. But they do keep cold wind off. Unnecessary if you are cruising slab.

I didn't think the seat was too bad. I'm going to try an alaskan leather sheepskin buttpad for now.

My bike was smooth as butter up to 6-7k. Didn't rev past that yet. -al
  10. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm so glad you chimed in. I had no idea about the givi airflow screen, but it looks like a really good option. Especially since no separate brackets are needed. I think i will order it tonight cuz I don't have much time to kill anymore. Thanks again for that suggestion, really appreciate it!

I will also skip the handguards. I can't imagine i'd need them much, especially down here in the south where it's stupid hot most of the year.
  11. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I checked a few places and many were sold out of the givi af3101. However, Happy-trail.com had 2 in stock still so I had to grab one.

Boy.... this sure has been a productive and expensive day.... lol! I'm excited and realy glad it's all coming together.

Now....

I think I still need at the very least:

Thottle lock - for sure
    Footpegs - maybe... any good suggestions out there for the strom?
    Phone charger - I really have no idea how to go about this. Electrical stuff frightens me... help!
  12. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. ALinUTAH

ALinUTAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know the feeling. After buying the bike on Saturday, I spent almost another couple grand on goodies for it on Monday. Somebody stop me!

I've been bombarded with shipping notices today so I'm like a kid on christmas eve. -al
  14. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
  15. SammyTheSlider

SammyTheSlider You have insufficient privileges to reply here

Oddometer:
    My advice, take a couple of trips and then decide what you really need vs. what is just a want.

As for the phone charger, wire in a relay that activates a 12V plug when the bike is running. Use your regular car charger, its a 15.00 project and takes about an hour ;-)
  16. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    You got that right! I too feel like a kid on Christmas morning. I'm at roughly $600 so far, and that pretty much covers everything i wanted to do. for now... :lol3

That's good to hear!

I agree, and that's what Ive done for the past few days. i've been riding about 80 or so miles per day, as time allows. That is how I came up with the list of mods that I just about completed ordering. I just don't want to be 300 miles into my 2000 total mile journey and realize only then that I missed some major issue that would ruin the trip for me with discomfort or pain. Figure there are a few 2012 wee owners that have done some longer trips already and may have some input.
  17. No False Enthusiasm

Oddometer:
    I'm 6 feet tall and I use the 22 inch Madstad windshield, adjusted so that I look just over the top of the screen. I looked on the Madstad site and don't find the adjustable "wing" on top of any of their current windscreens.

Maybe they've stopped making that version... I sure like mine.

I'm also a big fan of ear plugs. I don't need additional hearing loss...

NFE
  18. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. No False Enthusiasm

Oddometer:
    I don't use my highway pegs much... came with the bike... mounted on Pat Walsh bars and bash plate.

I do use my centerstand every day.

NFE
  20. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really? You don't use them? Do you go on long trips at all?

I would think that hwy pegs would be a god send on a long trip because they allow you to change seating position very a great degree and avoid premature soreness.