Hotrodding the GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Poolside, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    If no one has done this check before I get back home I can do it then (≈ 14-15th)

JJ
  2. MSteven

MSteven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 1100 GS had the Cat sensor unplugged with the Techlusion installed. Swapping the Techlusion for the Air does the Cat sensor need to be plugged in? I imagine so, but a definitive answer is more fun.
  3. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    No, either way is ok.

The IICE Air changes the 'air density' calculation in the ECU. The air/fuel mass ratio calculation is unrelated to the exhaust system. O2 sensor, catalyst, headers, or otherwise.

<BR>
  4. MSteven

MSteven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is there any reason why it needs to be plugged in?
    Sorry this is off topic, but I'm still waiting on manuals for this R1100 GS and don't have detailed info.
  5. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Think of the O2 sensor as a probe that the Motronic (a fueling/spark computer) uses to see if its fuel calculation meets the needs of your catalytic converer (and also the needs of aging components in your engine and E10 fuel).

When the Teclusion was added to your bike (to add more fuel to the mixture than the Motronic wants to allow) the O2 probe was disconnected so that the Motronic wouldn't undo the Techlusion's work.

When you add the ICE Air it will add some additional fuel to the amount the Techlusion is already adding. If that is what you want then leave the Techlusion connected and the O2 disconnected.

It all comes down to how much fuel you're trying to add and whether you want the Motronic to keep the catalytic converter running. In your setup what are you hoping to achieve by adding the iice Air?
  6. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR><table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>Hey there Roger. The techlusion product is a different animal. I appreciate your jumping in. But when you have a go at technical answers, maybe you could clear them with me first?&#8194;Marketing does. :D
    </td></tr></table>
    <BR>
  7. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey there Jim, Enjoyed your recent photos of the manufacturing process.

BTW, I called tech support and got voicemail, tried marketing and got switched to the front desk--who told me to try later, they were at a three martini lunch. The front desk said something about -30C and I pictured a trail of black smoke and decided just to reply--my bad. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Speaking of the marketing process, there's a great sense of anticipation around iice cool and iice smooth. What's the latest? RB
  8. MSteven

MSteven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Roger, I have removed the Techlusion unit, and am going to run the IICE Air and the Cool when they become available.

The Techlusion worked pretty well, but it seemed like it needed more tweeking.

So, does the Cat sensor need to be plugged in or disconnected while running the Air?
  9. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let me check with Poolside's marketing department and get back to you ...
  10. Ayrshire Bull

Ayrshire Bull why the hell not?

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  11. John P

John P n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi I'm new to the forum but I got here doing research on a fix for my R1100R. I sent you a PayPal for an IICE. Can you tell me where I'm at in the order queue?

John
  12. MTFYR

MTFYR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>No particular reason, you can leave it plugged in or not.

The purpose of the ECU on a fuel injected motor is to control exhaust emissions. In that regard it is sub-optimal from a performance standpoint.

Unplugging the O2 sensor does not transform the ECU into an optimal device. If the O2 sensor is disconnected the ECU does not become optimal, it becomes a different example of sub-optimal.
    </td></tr></table>
    <BR>
  14. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    Did the install last night and took the rig over to Griffith Park for the Sidecar Rally. I did mention that my 2007 R1200GSA had a sidecar attached didn't I? Anyway, I noticed a much smoother throttle response after the install. It was in the mid to upper 90's today.
  15. Thunderbird

Thunderbird Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, I've been meaning to post for a while on this. I've got several hundred miles down now with this gizmo plugged into my bike. I like it. Parking lot speeds are definitely smoother, and throttle response is much improved at highway cruising speeds. Nicely done! Well worth the $$. Thank you.
  16. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>Hey, I'm back! I was dark there for a couple of weeks due to a PC failure.

<BR>
  17. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reports fellas!

<BR>
  18. skybo1

skybo1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2002 1150GS with:

valves/rockers adjusted and TB synched
    Autolite APP 3923
    y-pipe and O2 sensor
    stock exhaust
    steptoe mod
    and soon to receive IICE Air!

It seems to be running very well.
    What can I expect from my IICE Air?
    Have I accomplished the basics for as smooth running as I can get?
    Thanks to All
  19. jadoca

jadoca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any chance the Icee will plug into th new LC GS and what is the ETA of the other 2 products? Thanks.

Your post was FULL of errant VB code which I deleted.

JJ
  20. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer

Oddometer:
    whoa... what's going on, man? :norton
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.