Cochise County AZ Ride Coordination

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by claycraig, Dec 17, 2009.

1. AZ-Twin

AZ-Twin Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer:
    Let's see it!!!
  2. advswede1981

advswede1981 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, got it last night
  3. advswede1981

advswede1981 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll post some pics by the weekend. I could only take it out for about 2 hours after work before I had to head back home and hand out free stuff to begging kids... :lol3
  4. advswede1981

advswede1981 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm definitely interested and wouldn't mind putting together a 4-man team. If anyone would like to come let me know.
  5. advswede1981

advswede1981 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

...and there she is :D
  6. AZ-Twin

Oddometer:
    Very nice!!
  7. mergatroyd

mergatroyd I'm a hooliCAN, not a hooliCAN'T!

Oddometer:
    Indeed a nice bike. I like the grey better than the blue for sure.
  8. Twentyniner

Twentyniner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Digging the grey Tenere! Like the blacked out passenger pegs and exhaust shield, they'd look nice on mine. :evil Get yourself a good skidplate asap.
  9. cms81586

cms81586 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a chain rivet tool I can use/borrow in exchange for a few cold ones?
  10. mergatroyd

Oddometer:
    Removing or installing?

I use clip-type masters on mine, but I have a de-rivet tool that will apparently also peen the rivets.

It looks like this:
    [​IMG]
  11. cms81586

Oddometer:
    Removing old and installing new...although a dremel and cutoff wheel will take the old chain off pretty easily. I'm on hold as I was sent the incorrect rear sprocket for the Hyper...so it's not going to be until next week until I put the new one on. What'll it take to borrow that thing from your for a day? I'd gladly rent it from you or pay in adult beverages.
  12. AZ-Twin

Oddometer:
    I have the motion pro tool.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0001/

I know installing a rivet type master is tricky as you need to get both of the rivets the same, or it may break in the future. I use the clip type also and have never had an issue, probably because I usually have about 4 masters links with me. :lol3

When do you want to get the new chain installed? Is the bike on the road now and you just want to swap the chain? Ride over to the house and bring your new chain and we can fix it and have a beer or two.

let me know.
  13. cms81586

Oddometer:

The bike is still on the road now. One of the rollers on the chain is missing (discovered upon inspection when determining to replace the sprockets). Problem is I need to use my stand to do any work and I have to pick up a torque wrench as well. Single sided swingarms are sexy to look at...shitty to work on. Probably looking at doing it not this weekend but next weekend some time.

Chris
  14. lightfighter

lightfighter where does this go?

Oddometer:
    Twin has all the tooling you might need, I'm sure of that. Also a very nice beer area near the lift. I'd be happy to assist in that area.
  15. mergatroyd

Oddometer:
    On the Duc SSS it is not strictly necessary to lift the rear wheel for sprocket changes. Of course, I have a monster air wrench...

I can bring the chain tool to work tomorrow and meet you somewhere close by, but AZ-Twin has a better solution if you are going to rivet the master.

Did you get a quick change?
  16. cms81586

Oddometer:
    No quick change...just a stock carrier sprocket. $400 on final drive parts was plenty enough this time around (and for as often as sprockets get changed). Another $170 wouldn't have passed the sniff test with the wife for something I don't need and likely won't use. Hold off on the rivet tool for now...I'm going to wait for the sprocket to come in first. I can always ride the bike to AZ-Twin's place and have the wife follow with the stand in the car since I moved to SV last week and I'm a lot closer. As you mentioned...not necessary...but from what I'm reading a whole lot easier.
  17. mergatroyd

Oddometer:
    No worries. I found that the JT carrier with sprocket ended up being less than any other options (and I wanted different ratios because I have the little engine).

I find I go through chain/sprocket sets like I go through timing belts...
  18. cms81586

Oddometer:
    My current sprocket/chain set has 9k miles on it. The chain is toast and the front sprocket is starting to fish hook. The rear looks alright but there is some minor wear and if I'm spending $100+ on a new chain I might as well have new sprockets all the way around as well. The torque must really be a bitch on those parts even with proper lubrication. I have the factory service manual but may need a little assistance doing it the first time so I don't mess anything up...:freaky
  19. mergatroyd

Oddometer:
    Is the Hyper chain 520 or 525?

on the little bike I bumped it up to 525 and get a little better life out of it, but usually every 10-12k.

An aluminum rear sprocket will get chewed up about the same time the front does (maybe a little faster).
  20. AZ-Twin

Oddometer:
    When you get all your stuff bring it over and we will get it done. I have all the tools we will need. The lift would be nice, but I have a big motorcycle lift like they use at the dealer, however you want to do it.

We can get lightfighter over there to help with the beer.:lol3 I think it sounds like a fun day. Let me know when you want to do the work. 520-249-5237