Help 990 adv transmission problem

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by JLC640, Feb 27, 2013.

1. JLC640

JLC640 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went for a ride This afternoon on my 08 990 Adventure S. Stopped at a stop sign on a country road looked right then left and preceded to make the left hand turn. Just as i let out the clutch to go a car came fling around a turn on my right. I locked down both brakes and pulled in clutch and came to a rapid stop but could not catch the bike before it fell gently on its left side. It fell so gently that it did no damage to the bike, I thought. picked the bike up and started engine and there was a loud rattling coming from the bottom end put the bike in 1st it went away. Then released the clutch and it moved a few feet and stopped and started making noise again. I then turned the engine off and haul the bike home.
    Did My Transmission Just Grenade? :eek1
  2. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    did the shift lever get bent or even hit the ground?
  3. JLC640

JLC640 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It may have hit the ground but did not bend. I almost was able to catch the bike so it laid down very lightly.
  4. sstewart

sstewart Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lets hope to hell not!:eek1
  5. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    This is very strange. Never heard of such an occurance.

- So, the bike was in gear (obviously) when you "lay'ed 'er down" :D and then the engine turned off, while the bike was down ?
    - Then you picked up the bike, put it into neutral and then, started the engine ? whereupon the said noise occurred but went away after putting it into 1st.
    - You started riding the bike and then it stopped, alongwith the same noise short distance later ? Did it stop abruptly as if u hit a wall Or did it come to a gradual stop like you were braking ?
    - Does the rear wheel move with the transmission in neutral ?
    - does the transmission shift through all the gears ? with and without the use of clutch ?
    - what happens if you put the bike in gear and try to move the wheel without pulling in the clutch ?
  6. JLC640

JLC640 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After putting the bike in first and traveling a very short distance on a slight decline it was like the bike quit pulling not an abrupt stop.
    Yes the rear wheel moves with the bike in neutral and sometimes when the bikes in first. The bike seems to be shifting normally.
    This is crazy! I have been searching the internet and cannot find anyone else that has had a similar issue. I don't know what to do other than start tearing the motor apart.
  7. JLC640

JLC640 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could this possibly have anything to do with some of the clutch issues I have read about?
  8. JLC640

JLC640 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went for a ride This afternoon on my 08 990 Adventure S. Stopped at a stop sign on a country road looked right then left and preceded to make the left hand turn. Just as i let out the clutch to go a car came fling around a turn on my right. I locked down both brakes and pulled in clutch and came to a rapid stop but could not catch the bike before it fell gently on its left side. It fell so gently that it did no damage to the bike, I thought. picked the bike up and started engine and there was a loud rattling coming from the bottom end put the bike in 1st it went away. Then released the clutch and it moved a few feet and stopped and started making noise again. I then turned the engine off and haul the bike home.
    Did My Transmission Just Grenade? :eek1
  9. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK
    Sounds like something got slightly bent. Gear lever, other end of the gearlever shaft, shift drum star shaped thing or a shift fork.

Everything except the last item are servicable with the engine in the frame. Dont ride it until you get it checked out or it will round off the gear dogs and cost even more.
  10. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    You say "sometimes when the bikes in first" - is this with the clutch lever pulled ? Without the clutch lever pulled in, the wheel should not move when in gear.

I asked you a set of questions with some theories in mind and you just threw back a bunch of words. unless you provide proper answers nobody will be able to help. Stop going around like a headless chicken, relax and provide information correctly and in as much detail as you can.

what clutch issues are you talking about ?
    clutch rotor bolts or clutch slave clutch oil jet ? clutch pushrod ? clutch plates alignment ?clutch booster ram damage ?
  11. KtmPedro220

KtmPedro220 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know it's a long shot but it hasn't caught the stand and cracked anything?
  12. JLC640

JLC640 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A little more information With the engine off the bike in first gear the bike will not roll forward but will roll backward with a grinding sound. This is without the clutch pulled in. After you roll the bike backwards the bike will roll forward about a foot while making a grinding noise before catching. When you start the bike in neutral with the clutch pulled in it does not make a noise. when you let the clutch out it starts a loud rattling.
    Guys thanks for your input on my issue. I am fishing for any information i can get. I realize i am going to have to take it to the shop, just can't afford it at this time. I would be happy with some idea of what going on with it. Might sleep better at night.
  13. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    Looks like there is something broken and stuck between two gear wheels. Could be a piece of clutch plate stuck between the primary and clutch hub. Could be broken dog in side the gear box. Can't say without further diagnosis / pictures.

Could be anything, so you will have to start getting into it. Its not tough at all untill you have to split the cases.

I would recommend :

1. Take the clutch cover off (RHS of the bike - smaller cover with 6 bolts) and see if you can find anything abnormal there.
    2. If all looks ok, then drain the coolant and take off the RHS case cover to see if there is anything wrong.

post detailed pics of what you do and what you see in there. Will help in diagnosing.

The above two steps are easier and quicker than getting into the gear box which involves splitting the case. They can be done using the standard tools provided in your tool kit and for step 1, put the bike on side stand so you will not lose any oil either. Get a hold of the repair manual if you don't have one. best 40$ you can ever spend.

good luck. try the above steps and report back.
  14. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you post a video of the grinding sound?
  15. johnno950

johnno950 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe your chain has come of the countershaft sprocket,have a look under the cover,thats were i would look,or thake it to your local ktm dealer,those guys are amazing...
  16. JLC640

JLC640 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Removed clutch cover every thing looks fine. All bolts are in no trash in clutch compartment. Will take RSC off a little later today. I have to go ride my 200:D right now. Ive already checked the chain, counter shaft sprocket, and now the clutch. I did notice a little oil residue under counter shaft but i assumed this was the typical cs seal leak problem with all KTMs.
    I also shifted through all gears while in each gear I tried to push back forward then backward without clutch pulled in.2nd thru 6th the bike would not roll either direction. When I geared back down to first the bike would roll both forward and backward as if in neutral. I then put the bike in neutral to verify that I didn't mistakenly hit neutral instead of first on the down shift. That was not the case. I then shifted down to try to find 1st with the same result. The bike would roll both directions without resistance or grinding noise witch was there yesterday?
  17. JLC640

JLC640 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought a shop manual. I guess when it gets here I'll start tearing her down.
    Any advice would be appreciated:ear.
    Anyone know if someone makes a complete gasket set for the 990?
  18. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually I think there is nothing wrong with your bike..

When they lay down on their side, engine oil flows from here to there in the engine. When you lift the bike, and start it again after the fall, it usually makes a rattling noise. At least mine does. So IMO as for the noise.. it's normal - also they need a couple of seconds until the hydraulic cam chain tensioners make the timing chains tensioned.. Sometimes they don't let go of the tension for.. let's say overnight.. sometimes they do in 3 seconds (when bike is shut off). But my bike always rattles after a fall.. for a couple of seconds (let's say about 3-5seconds)

Then the shutdown.. When you fall with the bike, the fuel system can go mad. Vent lines can get filled with gas, etc.. If you have the canister system still installed, that can make things even worse - by things I mean a restart after a fall.

I wouldn't split the engine case if I were you...

Also.. these bikes (the engine at least) withstand way more bigger getoffs than what you mentioned.. There are guys who ripped off plastics, made holes on the fuel tanks, cracked the frame.. and the tranny didn't fell apart..

Just my $0.02.. if you feel like pulling the case apart.. good luck:)
  19. JLC640

JLC640 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would love for u to be right, but did u read my other post in this thread?what explains it not going into 1st gear? With the bike running in first it won't move.
  20. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah, sorry.. post #12 explains it all.. my bad.