84 Honda Elite 125 questions...

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by ride4321, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    Might as well replace the bearings. They have numbers stamped on them that are standard, so you can bring the old ones to a bearing shop and get replacements. There is a step by step for this at www.ch250.net Tech Tip #30. That's where anyone with a mechanical issue on an 80's Honda scooter should start researching. It's all there.
  2. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm going to replace the bearings while I'm in there. I'm pretty sure the one on the axel needs to be replaced anyhow. Hopefully I'll get it out tomorrow.
    Thanks for the link. I have the service manual and that shows how to remove the bearings, sort of.:D
  3. Wentwest

Oddometer:
    Since you use that Tom Waits line I think you should know. There's an urban legend here in the Berkeley area that a guy parked his car and forgot he left his accordion in full view on the back seat. When he came back to the car he saw broken glass on the ground next to the back door. Fearing the worst, he ran to the car, looked in and there were now 2 accordions on the back seat.
  4. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what happens when you leave accordions out in plain site.

OK, I've been having some issues with the scoot and have a few more questions.

I replaced all the bearings in the gearbox a week ago. Was having issues with acceleration after doing the first fix but also had a leak on the seal using liquid gasket seal. Don't think I had that issue before messing with the gears. I've gone back in and cut a gasket and it seems to be tight but the scoot is still accelerating slow. The clutch pads looked fine and the belt also looks ok. I didn't measure the inside of the clutch housing though but it was doing ok before tearing it apart so I doubt that's the problem. Any ideas? Oil did get spewed when the liquid gasket failed but not into the clutch area.
    Any chance this slippage is something that could just be ridden off by some longer rides? Maybe I got oil on something handling the clutch and belt?

Question 2: There was an over sized spark plug in the head when I bought it, the correct plug is too small to thread in. I called Honda after talking to a Napa guy this morning that said he thought the head had a thread in fitting for the plug and it could be easily replace. The Honda parts guy called up the head and said it was all one piece. When I got home I had a look and it's not, maybe someone did some sort of rework but this is what I'm seeing. Looks like I should be able to replace it and get the correct thread back in there.

[​IMG]

Is this the way it looks stock?
  5. Wentwest

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the rollers in the variator get out of their seats and jam and the variator doesn't work right. If you take off the belt cover and start the engine you should be able to see the variator squeeze closed as the engine revs up, and reopen at idle. If it doesn't then take it off, take it apart and reassemble it right. You need to keep it squeezed together as you put it on the shaft, and the press it on to the shaft all the way and hold it while you slide in the big bushing. Don't force the bushing, just slide it in, then put on the belt, the outer plate, the washer and the nut.
  6. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic since 1974. It came out in 1971.
  7. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was the problem, or I think it was. One of the rollers had come out of its track and gotten chewed up a bit. I should have the new ones tomorrow. I also ordered a new belt since it measured under min spec. Cleaned the carb last weekend and that looked pretty good. Hope the rollers solve the problem. It's going to start warming up and I wanna scoot and let the DR sit for awhile. It's been a work horse this winter and deserves a break.
    Hopefully this will be the last time I have to tear the body off for awhile. I'm getting much faster at dismantling and reassembly though.:D
  8. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if the drive face on the 150 is the same as the 125? I've pretty much stripped the teeth on mine. They have different part numbers on Bike Bandit but I'm betting they're the same. they have one for the 150 but not the 125. Also wondering it the 150 carb insulator will fit. Most of the parts on the 125 are discontinued it seems.
    BTW, put the new weights in the variator last night but still having problems. Tried putting a new belt on but only messed up the drive face more in the process. I need an extra set of hands to get the new belt on.
  9. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got it! After new rollers, bearings, CDI, belt and other stuff the problem with the slow acceleration most recently was not having the airbox connected. Just doesn't get proper pressure to the engine. It's running better than ever. Hopefully I can leave the plastic attached for a few months now. What a nightmare this has been but I've learned a lot about this scoot and the next issue will hopefully be resolved much quicker.
  10. Wentwest

Oddometer:
    Old Mr. Honda knew what he was doing with these scoots. Put it stock first, get it right, and start laughing at traffic and zipping through the city. :ricky
  11. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just posted it on CL tonight. If I can get $800 for it I'll let it go. There's an Aprilia Mojito I can get for $1000 that's 20 years newer. It's not as cool (even though they tried to make it a cool scoot), but I'm hoping it doesn't cause me as much trouble as this Honda has. I'm throwing in the towel while it's running right.
  12. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    You should be able to get that any day of the week. MOre then likely it's going to keep running now you ve got it all work out.
  13. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's the beauty of the Honda. I rode down the street to the Blind Tiger after dropping the kids off for a beer (I know...not cool). It's a beautiful warm night so figured I'd let it sit in the lot with the for sale sign on. People were asking who's scoot that was. Then some sort of custom painted HD and an older ZRX1100 pulled in. I was inside when they came in but started talking and knew the guy with the Kawi. He asks if that's my scoot. Of course I'm in sales mode so proceed to explain all the cool funk the scoot brings to manhood. The custom HD guy says...Did you see my bike? I say, yep, it's parked next to the Kawi, the guy next to me responds accordingly and the conversation goes back to my scoot and the Kawi.:poser
    Priceless!

If the Honda doesn't bring $800 I'll keep it just for bike nights.:amazon
  14. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Elite is on CL waiting for a new home. Today I brought home it's replacement...I think. If the Honda doesn't sell I'll be keeping that and selling this one.

04 Aprilia Mojito. Does 60mph easy and on the flat 65 (indicated, no GPS to see how real those speeds are. Had a 60 mile ride bringing it home and it did great but the seat isn't a long haul seat by any means...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picked it up for $1k and it has just over 4K miles on it. Got a new set of tires (not mounted) thrown in with it. I'm very happy.:clap
  15. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Outside of it being the ugliest thing I've ever seen I'd say you got a great deal.Now you can strip down the Elite and make a streetfighter out of it.:D
  16. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know, compared to the Elite it's sort of an ugly duckling isn't it.:rofl
    The Elite has to find a new home. I only have a small one car garage and 2 scoots and two motorcycles doesn't leave much room for working on the damn things.
  17. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Elites are cool ugly.:rofl
  18. micbergsma

micbergsma n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey ride4321!! I need your help! I have same new ignition switch like in the picture! I have honda elite 250 I need to put old ignition switch's connectors to new ignition switch wires ....

you connected the two new green wires to old green and green/brown, right? what color is the single connector on the old switch? I can't see in the picture...

I really hope to hear from you thanks :)
  19. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Time to head to yahoo elite 250 group if no one answer the question you asked. They know these scooters like the back of you hand. You have to have an yahoo account to join up . If you have not download the ch250 OEM service manual google for it. Its online for free. It will tell that
  20. Biscofff b*tch

Biscofff b*tch n00b

Oddometer:
    Still learning how to move around in here. But do you still have parts bikes?