Heading south... hopefully all the way...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jrzyguy, Oct 12, 2012.

1. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Three guys solving the problems of the world. Can you guess which one is from NY?

[​IMG]

And which one is from NJ? But all is not lost, there is the well mannered Canadian in the middle!
  2. kobukan

kobukan almost gnarly

Oddometer:
    The DR will kick the Beemers ass down there. I met a few guys on big bikes when I was there - they all looked like they wished they had something lighter, and looked at my DR650 with envious eyes. :deal :D

Great trip . . . ride safe!
  3. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The discussion ends well, just as dinner is served!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took a walk on the beach as the sun was coming up...it was as peaceful as it looks!
  4. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This is Lucia, who runs the Hostel and is a fabulous cook. As you may have guessed, the Hostel is very basic...but it serves all of the motorcycle traveler's needs!

[​IMG]

As we pack up in preparation for our ride down to La Paz, the two Matt's are deep into the Lonely Planet guide, searching for our next accommodation.
  5. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    I do love the DR...thanks for the validation.
  6. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pics were taken south of Mulege. As the ride started down the coast, it was a real treat...the road swept in and out, and up and down. And all the while we were treated to amazing views of the coastline. The road then moved a little inland and gained elevation. The three of us were riding separately and all made the same observation...there were butterflies everywhere...never saw anything like it. It was quite magical!
  7. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The hotels are so good about letting riders bring their bikes inside for safety. The bike actually goods pretty good there, don't you think?

[​IMG]

You can see who is watching over my bike!

[​IMG]

There's Matt backing his bike out the door and across the sidewalk.

[​IMG]

And then, last but certainly not least, the big one emerges!
  8. lorenzo!

lorenzo! n00b

Oddometer:
    Jim,
    Lorenzo here. Looks like too much fun. You can feel damn good about being someplace warm. It's suppose to get down
    9 freakin degrees on Sunday.

Where are you going to put those stickers?

Keep the powder dry and tacos warm....
  9. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    Man O man I do love Baja, you are killing me with those pic's,
    I gotta get back there sooner than later....

Regards, Jim..
  10. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    Believe me, after working outside on the house during the previous 3 winters, I am appreciating the warm weather more than you know.
  11. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    Glad you like the pics. I understand the desire!
  12. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The ride down to Cabo San Lucas took about 3 hours on 19 and was unexciting. The Cabo Inn was relatively expensive at $50 a night, like everything else in Cabo!

[​IMG]

Matt P and I shared a tiny room, while Matt W took advantage of travel points at the Westin, 12 miles east in San Jose Del Cabo. The Cabo Inn is only 2 blocks from the marina, restaurants, and whatever else you can't live without!

[​IMG]

Once again, our bikes were tucked away in a secure foyer! Don't they look happy there?
  13. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The marina is filled with lots of eye candy for the sport fisherman. The waters around Cabo are reputed to have some of the best fishing in the world!

[​IMG]

We took a boat out past a few of the beautiful beaches. Whatever watersports you're into, they are available here!

[​IMG]

Cabo's famous arch didn't disappoint!

[​IMG]

The possibilities via water are impressive...head left into the Sea of Cortez or right into the Pacific! Not bad at all!

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, the seal is begging for unused bait fish. Too bad that he's been trained as a circus act!

[​IMG]

Matt just screamed, "get me out of here, too many gringos"!
  14. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Matt P and I rode over to meet Matt W in San Jose Del Cabo and had a very pleasant dinner on the plaza. Friday night brought out the locals with Christmas festivities in full swing.

[​IMG]

After the tourist heavy crowds in Cabo, it was pleasant to see local families out for the evening.

[​IMG]

I couldn't pass up the Churro stand on our way back to the bikes for our ride home.
  15. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

We're having lunch on a roof-top restaurant in San Jose Del Cabo, before Matt P and I continue back north to La Paz. Matt W will join us on Monday am, and then it's off to the ferry. We got lost while leaving town and rode north on 1 (instead of 19) to La Paz. And what a fortunate mistake...the road was fabulous riding with great scenery of the Sea of Cortez and of hill country when the road took us inland.

[​IMG]

Both Matt and I are thrilled to be back in La Paz. Matt P took this shot while having our breakfast at an open air restaurant on the Malecon. It's Sunday morning and a kayak ride with the dogs makes for a fine morning!

[​IMG]

Oops...I guess it's a nice morning for a swim too!
  16. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    Hola Jim! Mark just hooked me into your thread. Glad all is well with your journey. I spent 4 days last week camping on the beach down in Puerto Penasco, my first bike journey into MX. As you have found, it's really a special place. I'm definately subscribed to this one....

Dave
  17. fortrider

fortrider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jim,
    Glad you are having a great trip so far. If you need anything from this direction give me a call.
    Steve
  18. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    Dave, Thanks for the moral support. Glad you enjoyed MX! Jim
  19. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    Steve, It's been fabulous to date. Believe me, if I need some help you will hear from me! Thanks, Jim
  20. jrzyguy

jrzyguy Restless

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

A mix of European students in our hostel...staying connected! They were so friendly, they've even invited someone their grandfather's age to come party with them on the beach. But as I've been told,"a man's got to know his limitations"! [/I]

[​IMG]

Sunset in the harbor...after a lifetime on the east coast, it's beautiful to see the sunset on the water!

[​IMG]

First light on a couple travelers...taking a break in La Paz.

[​IMG]

A late afternoon look at the beach and Malecon.

[​IMG]

A similar view at night. La Paz has a vibrant nightlife, especially along the water!

[​IMG]

A quiet moment at the ice cream shop! I think I'd better give them some business...