Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    Beware old age and treachery. There, be dragons there.:lol3:clap

2. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    I was on a climb last summer and some old fart who looks just like you passed me like I was going backwards. Every time you post a pic of yourself (which happens a lot in this thread), I have bad flashbacks.:cry
  3. rbrsddn

rbrsddn 3banger

Oddometer:
    I ride regularly with guys in their 60's, who leave me for dead on climbs... It probably helps that they weigh 150, and I'm 175. Not much I can do but pace myself. It evens out a bit on the flats!:D
  4. Weirdo

Weirdo Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer:

I hate that. The other week I was killing myself to keep up to a couple of the hardcore. The bastards were chatting about movies they've seen while I saw colours through crossed eyes.

Between gasps I told them to have some respect to those who are suffering.....They laughed and dropped me.

Bastards
  5. Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Been developing a night Cyclocross route around town. Hit some of the local walking trails, the golf course (cart path only of course). Some hills and try to say off the highway as much as I can.

It turns out to be a laugh! Takes just under two hours of pretty hard riding...I like it.

[​IMG]
  6. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a lot of scouting and routing! I would've figured it'd be really cold and snowy, up there, right now.
  7. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    so, my Globe Vienna... this is a 700C 3x8 geared budget hybrid, quite similar to the low end Specialized Sirrus... I replaced the crankset from the original Shimano M191 (low end 28-38-48 welded stamped steel chainrings) with an Origin8 Trekking Pro (mostly for looks and the longer 175mm crank arms, but its also lighter, and I was hoping the alloy sprockets would be quieter than the steel ones on the M191)...

darn thing is sitting nearly 1cm farther from the frame than the stock one, grrr. had to readjust my front derailleur to its outer limit of travel to get onto the big ring and be quiet in all but the biggest rear sprockets. meh.

The middle ring is about in line with the 2nd smallest rear on the 8 speed rear cluster. MEH!

with the O8, I'm measuring the frame centerline to middle sprocket teeth as 54mm. I didn't measure the M191 before I took it off. I also didn't measure the BB length, I've swapped around a fair number of front sprockets in the past without having problems like this.

anyone know offhand what the 'standard' chainline offset is for a 700c hybrid with a 3x8 mountain style gearset?
  8. Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Too close to the ocean, we get snow every now and again, but the rain takes it away pretty quickly.

We do get rain though, more than any other community in the country.:cry

Last nights adventure was in light drizzle and 4c, in the dark (which it is now at around 4pm). I"m going to be ready for spring though, no more sand getting kicked in my face!!!!
  9. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've heard the same thing about Juneau, AK. Is that true?
  10. Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the ocean makes the climate very temperate. Doesn’t get hot in the summer, doesn’t get cold in the winter, rains a lot.
    From here if you drive East an hour and a half into the mountains it’s full on winter madness, just like Alaska. It’s not until you get North, like way North, that the sea ice forms and the moderating effects of the ocean are gone.

The advantage is that if you're hard enough you can train on the bike almost year around. I do have a turbo trainer for those really nasty days, or when we do get snow.
  11. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    @Pierce: the shop where you got the new crankset should be able to tell you what length spindle you need. Its obviously shorter than what's on there.

M
  12. Schnickelfritz

Schnickelfritz pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer:
    My ass. It's handed to me every spring in the 4-mile run section of the spring off-road duathlon here. I'm passed by clydesdales. 5-foot tall women. Children. Leaves a lot of work to pass them all during the 18-mile single-track bike section (near-my-home trails that I ride in the dark/snow). I've won the bike leg, but never the race.

Oh, also, here's some US cross pro nonsense, mercifully short:

http://youtu.be/PpqW1yDX6EU

(embed fail)
  13. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    You got a ways to go before you can top the old woman with two sacks of melons on a coaster-brake girls frame bike who rode past me on the bike path while I was all decked out in my best Fred-wear. :lol3
    I could not catch here, and I am damned certain she had more miles in those melons than I had that day.

Sadly these days I have all I can do to get in and out of a hire car. My back is crap, I am fat and ugly but at least I can't hear too well.:rofl
    I'll get back to passing the kids on hills, there's still time.

I ain't dead yet.

14. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    sigh, I bought it online as noone local had what I wanted so it would have been a special order.

I've pretty much decided I need a 110mm as I likely have a 122.5mm if I believe Shimano's specs on my old crankset, and I do the math.
  15. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    which crankset is on there now again? model. I've got a buddy that works for a shop and can probably look up the crank/bb on J&B's website and tell you definitively.

M
  16. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    the new crank is an Origin-8 Trekking crankset, this one
    http://www.origin-8.com/?page_id=91...set&prod_model_uid=5523&cl1=CRANK+ARMS+&+SETS

and I can find /nothing/ technical on their webpile, nor was their anything in the box.

the crank I removed was a Shimano FC-M191,
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/t...01/SI-0087A-001-ENG_v1_m56577569830657743.pdf

which that says had a 47.5mm chain line (I didn't measure it before removing, DUH!), and uses a 122.5mm BB (wow, thats wide).

I measure my current chainline at 54mm, so...

54 - 47.5 == 6.5mm
    122.5 - (6.5*2) == 109.5mm

so I figure I need a 110mm BB.

but yeah, if your friend can verify this, awesome. I have the bike ridable as-is with the funky chain line, just that the front derailleur is cranked out as far as it goes.
  17. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    That reminds me of a book written by Lewis Grizzard, a now-deceased southern humorist and writer:

"Elvis is Dead and I Ain't Feeling So Well Myself"

:lol3
  18. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    I'm so excited. My wife mentioned that my Christmas gift, a pair of cycling shoes, is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. She also said I wouldn't have to wait to enjoy them either. I get one tomorrow and the other one on Christmas Day. True love I tell you! True love!
  19. Lewy

Lewy Minus the LC8

Oddometer:
    I tried a new GoPro mounting position today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    doesn't look good for the camera :D