The F800GS Seat

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by M N B, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Stofpad

Stofpad n00b

Oddometer:
    The seat is lower than stock.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Aether

Aether Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not to my eyes, nor according to this:

http://www.klaus-mayer-bmw.de/product_info.php/products_id/773

Translated....

Seat versions of the F 650 GS in comparison:
    • Comfort seat: 835 mm or 1830 mm.
    • Series seat: 820 mm or 1820 mm.
    • Low seat: 790 mm or 1780 mm.
    • Lowering: 765 mm or 1710 mm.

Seat versions of the F 800 GS in comparison:
    • Seat height and step arch by 60 mm or more
    120 mm higher than in the F 650 GS with the same seat.
    • Comfort seat: 895 mm or 1950 mm.
    • Series seat: 880 mm and 1940 mm.
    • Low seat: 850 mm or 1900 mm.
  3. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anybody put a Russel Day Long on a 800? I had one on my 1200 GSA and loved it!. Or, does Russel even make one for the 800??
  4. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
    Well i broke down and got a touratech hi touring seat for the 658 and if it feels as good after a day as it did after an hour i'm gonna be in heaven!!!!
  5. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Apologies in advance for the hijack:

Anyone want to trade my stock, regular seat for a tall (or rally) seat?

I know, its a long shot but just in case. . .pm me.

Gracias
  6. DiabloBlanco

DiabloBlanco Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer:
    no insult meant my good man but
    :poser:poser:poser
    this entire thread is dedicated to everyone who hates the standard seat, but I'm not flaming, buena suerte (I'll trade a standard seat for a low!)
  7. jodyz121

jodyz121 Mostly Harmless . . .

Oddometer:
    ...is on back order. Wanted a Renazco but the timing/wait was wrong for me. All of the comments and experience in this thread were a great help. Thanks to all of you.
  8. GrommettAZ

GrommettAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. RetrogradE

RetrogradE Banned

Oddometer:
    When I bought my F8 last fall (used) it came with a low and standard seat. I took the low seat down to a local upholsterer who does a ton of bike seats and he fixed me up.

He peeled off the skin of the low seat, added a gel pad then reupholstered with synthetic leather on the sides (dark graphite) and a pewter faux suede on the top. He also added a little pad to the front of the seat so it doesn't feel like I'm riding on my junk anymore.

I just got it back today and rode for about 10 minutes (it was 30 degrees so I couldn't stay out long), but it felt great. It's firm but comfortable.

The work cost me ~$275 + tax and I get one free adjustment (whenever I want).

I was surprised at how the texture of the suede alone makes it a much more comfortable ride.

Sorry for the crappy pictures . . . get some in the daylight later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. utahGSr

utahGSr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in Bountiful UT. Who did the seat work for you? Looks great!
  11. JimPatten650

JimPatten650 n00b

Oddometer:
    Just put a comfprt seat (BMW) on my 2010 F650 GS. I had a low seat, and it was ok to a degree with bicycling shorts. The new seat is great, however. It is narrow enough in front not to be an issue when standing on the pegs, gives good support, and best of all is a really good seat for a passenger. For those of us with patneers this makes the bike a trully good touring and backcountry roads two up solution.
  12. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    So how does it compare to stock height wise. 1 inmate reporting taller another shorter. At 5-10 I want to be able to flatfoot the bike.
  13. Aether

Aether Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. KLRscoob

KLRscoob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to throw this out there just in case. Touratech does offer a DEMO on their seat. It worked out great, you pay the shipping $50 to / and from San Diego. They loan it to you for a week. You can either buy it or send it back! Great deal - it didn't work out for me so I sent it back. Saved me $500!!!! Just lettin y'all know.
    -Jason
  15. beemerbum

beemerbum Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, its been awhile...but had to chime in here. We just got back from a two week break in Virginia and had borrowed a new Comfort Seat from our local dealer. Neither my wife or I like the stock seats, and I got the Enduro Seat last December and while it is higher than anything else and great for off-road, it has as many pressure/pain points as the stock seat...

So we both used the Comfort seat and we both like it. We both think it needs another inch or two of cutout at the back to allow some wiggle room throughout the day (we each have an 800, so don't worry about passengers less the waterproof bags when carried). But other than the cutout, it is a great seat.

It is higher than the stock seat, but not as tall as the Enduro seat. The Comfort Seat is 21.5 inches above the foot pegs (no rubber pads) whereas the enduro seat is 23 inches. My wife has a 31 in inseam and is not flat foot on it, but is not tippy-toe either and loves it as well. Inseam will be an issue with some and as always, the frontal shaping of the seat will be a factor as well - its amazing how much this influences reach and comfort.

Our two cents (CAD or USD) worth,

Cheers, Bruce
  16. Byrddog151

Byrddog151 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the stock standard height seat off my 2010 F800GS for sale. I switched to the low seat after about 100 miles so it's basically new... maybe one spot of mud in the textured cover.

Message me and make me an offer if your interested in it. Thanks.

Flame on if this is not the place for this post. Sorry and Thanks again.
  17. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    No flaming from me, but you'll have better luck and exposure in the Flea Market section....
  18. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I have had the Rallye seat for a while now and like it pretty well. But it's just not what I really want, especially for long rides. I also don't like the slippery sides when I'm off road.

So I have something being made for me right now...
  19. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
    Well i've got some time on the touratech touring high seat and am very pleased with it. Its easier on the knees is comfy and you can slide back for offroad, it is a bit firm but you can move or stand up for a minute and everything is good again! This is something i could not do on the stock seat, and i think a big difference too is there is no pocket to fight.
  20. JimPatten650

JimPatten650 n00b

Oddometer:
    After a few hundred miles on the new BMW comfort seat, it is great, both solo and two up. The seat measures higher than the stock low seat, but reach to the ground is aqbout the same, or perhaps 1/2 inch more. I am 5'8" and 29 1/2 inseam and can flat foot the F650 GS twin with this seat and the Conti TKC's. Ghis is a very big improvement over the stock seats, and may well turn out to be a true all day seat.