No top box ?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by DonVulpes, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    The real question is: will changing my FJR's center of gravity by sitting my 120-gf on the passenger seat change how many tassels I need on the handlebars? :D
  2. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    She needs to sit side-saddle and the only tassels should be on a pair of pasties ;)
  3. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    OMG... that's the worst kind of top box... always tips me over.... the edge...:lol3
  4. DinX

DinX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your response. I showed it to my girlfriend. She was not amused with your answer, for which I received a solid punch on the arm. I have a bruise and it's all your fault!!! :cry

It's still funny, though. Oops... gotta run!

:poser
  6. jeknow

jeknow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like everyone else weight and flexibility. With a soft duffel it's lighter and if you have to you can cram more stuff in it. I use a top box too but mostly if I'm going to be in more populated areas just for a little more security. Sad to say but the more people around the more you have to think of that.
  7. Steve Hunt

Steve Hunt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I heard the same thing after I bought the Yamaha Top case for my FJR. Dont load it up, it's high and big hangin out back and will catch a lot of air. First of all I thought it was by far the best looking top case out there, infinitely better looking than any Givi. The convenience of it when getting on and off the bike is worth every penny, it would hold a helmet, jacket, gloves with room left over. I loaded it up and ran her up to 140mph or so with no issues. Also scraped pegs over and over with the bags full, top case full and the wifey on the back...no issues just ride friends.
  8. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    A topbox is really an ideal place to securely carry a quart of oil. But only synthetic. Dino oil will completely change the way the bike handles.
  9. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The box in post #38 I've had since I owned a (tuned) Fazer1000/FZ1, on German autobahn on my way back from the Alps I just had to try how fast she was and made 287kph (178mph) on the speedo with the top box and tank bag. No instability what so ever. Not that I recommend this!
  10. Weird Bug

Weird Bug Weird BUG

Oddometer:
    I like a soft smallish waterproof bag of the back. I fill it with my food, and when camping I throw a line over a tall tree and hoist it up out of harms way ("harm" is the name of the critters - from racoons to bears). Not sure what's in Europe - so YMMV.
  11. jeknow

jeknow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whoa you guys are making a hell of a big deal out of this. Most of us use both or none to match the situation. Calculating COG, drag collation really? Use which ever you like for what ever you need.
  12. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:

:rofl:rofl:rofl
  13. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't give a ........ what it looks like. All I care about is functionality and convenience.
  14. DonVulpes

DonVulpes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's been very interesting re-visiting this thread, after a few months away from the keyboard. I obviously pack too much, as I'm ( considering ) taking this little lot ;)

[​IMG]
  15. gregsfrontporch

gregsfrontporch B00b

Oddometer:
    I love my top box! For general around town stuff the side bags are off, and I use the TB exclusively. It is great for carrying a ball cap, Rox straps, owners manual, manual for the stupid Sena that I always forget what one button or another does, and whatever other odds and ends I pick up and gather during the day. It is easy to access and toss/grab things in and out of.
    As for security, it's usually unlocked anyway (I'm lazy). My dad always said that locks are for honest people. Not much (that I care to carry around anyway) is going to obstruct a determined thief.
    As to weight and balance, well I'm new to the GS with only a 4,500 mile trip, a 1,200 miler and and a few months of around town/twisties, but I have to say I love the handling of this bike. My last bike was an 06 Triumph ST, and aside from the GS being a bit short on horse power, I feel way more confident on the GS than I have on any other bike I've had. This baby rides like a rail! Sure, it is a bit light up front, but I don't believe the TB has much affect on that, as this is just a tall bike and characteristically light up front anyway.
    As for looks? My baby is BEEEE-U-T-Ful!:wink: She takes a daddy's eye to appreciate I guess, but I'm a happy boy!!:norton:clap
  16. Rutabaga

Rutabaga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took off my one decal since it was up high, sanded off all the paint to save weight, replaced the hinges with ToorAWreck titanium sealed bearings to make it more aero, and then had the interior evacuated and refilled with nitrogen so as not to throw off the polar moment of inertia. Now, about those tires.....:1drink
  17. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    You took of your one decal?!?! Noooooooo!!!

How will you generate any speed, since everyone knows that decals makes you go faster? :D
  18. Rutabaga

Rutabaga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go faster! Are you nuts? Everybody knows that decals cause parasitic drag(which rises directly in proportion to speed) and more speed means more induced drag(which quadruples with doubling speed). That is why I go for internal speed multipliers like Syn oil. Besides, I don't ride the damn thing, I just stare at it in the garage and write about it on ADVrider.
  19. Ducati7444

Ducati7444 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The biggest issue with top box is that the added weight is, most of the time, behind the rear wheel axle, therefore, the added weight is at the worst possible location, far away and lifting the front of your bike. If you travel solo, dry bag placed on passenger seat is the best location to preserve bike handling.
  20. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Actually all it does is move the combined CG back some. It has little effect compared to the weight of rider and engine. Center of mass is still in front of the back axle or your bike would wheelie while stationary. Unless of course you carry an anvil back there for emergency roadside wrought-iron work :D