North GA vs North Jersey 03.12.06

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by flux_capacitor, Mar 6, 2006.

1. beefjerky

beefjerky Long timer

Oddometer:

Just a heads up, I don't know the route that Flux has planned, but I've been up in that area with a 100 mile range bike and almost had to push it a few times. be prepared to be stealing gas out of someones bike. :wink: I've got a gallon or so that could be sucked out of mine. and we could always ravage a Weestrom.
  2. Incabiker

Incabiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, well the gas mileage thing pretty much throws me outta the ride:baldy. I have a 1.9 Gallon tank and from what I have read the KLX 250s will get about 52 - 55 MPG. Thats the only thing that I will probably modify on this bike, as soon as they get a bigger tank to fit it without having to take all kinds of crap off the bike. Other then that this bike is great for a noob like me:D. So if there are no gas stops within 100 miles then I will be stuck in the mud. Oh well, if this is the case then I will go up to Ellijay and just find alot of the old FS trails that I used to ride on my mountain bike, that way I know my way around. If the gas mileage thing is not a problem, then I am trailering my bike up to the house, to many damned crazy people down here in Georgia, I'm not gonna chance it on the free way with a light bike that gets blown around in the wind easily, really easily that is. I bought this bike to take me out to the roads when I have too to get to another fire road or trail, and those are the conditions agreed upon by my wife if I was to get a bike, and she is my master, I must obey:deal
  3. beefjerky

beefjerky Long timer

Oddometer:

Hey I wasn't trying to scare anybody off, there will be gas to go around, just need a way to get it from one bike to the other. That's the whole point to riding in a group. Somebody will have a tube if somebody else gets a flat, somebody will be on a KLR if anybody runs out of gas, etc. You don't really think I ENJOY hanging out with guys named DirtySouth, and Flux do you?
  4. soboy

soboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah, just get your ass over to flux's on Sunday and ride. My DT 250 has a 2 gallon tank and I might get 75 miles out of it if I'm lucky (it's a 2 stroke). If I run dry, flux or someone else will help me out, right flux?
  5. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Yup, it is a communist thang!

Seriously, you must come with us! I have a hand held pump (very small and compact) that I will bring. Gas will be no worries. There are enough of us with big tanks. We will hit a gas station somewhere along the way. If nothing else, Suches has one and if we all start running low we will modify our trip. Only thing I ask is PLEASE ARRIVE AT MY HOUSE ALREADY FILLED UP, and ready to go. There is a gas station in Dawsonville, but none for awhile once we get going.

Beef Jerky, are you riding? I haven't seen you in a LONG time, bro! Hope you've been doing all right. Been busy with wedding plans over on this end.

Sounds like we got a nice group here. Some noobies which is always fun! :evil Just kidding, guys, you are in good hands here. It is so weird being the guy on the planning side.
  6. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    Yup!
  7. bman

bman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Flux, what ballpark time do you think you'll reach the turnoff at Amicalola Falls off 52? Is it High Shoals Rd.?
  8. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    I honestly don't know. Depends on how everyone does I guess. By myself I can be there in under an hour. If I had to guess I would say 11:30/12:00. That should be realistic, but since I got the time machine I have lost all perception of time.

I do think it is High Shoals Rd.

Why'd you mention "Ballpark?" Now I want a hot dog. I don't even like hot dogs.
  9. bman

bman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool, will try to meet you guys there.
    Sounds like a great ride.
  10. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
  11. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about it, why don't you just meet us at my place? Or off of Hwy 52 near Nimblewill Gap (maybe 5-7 minutes)? It is not very far from Amicalola then you can ride the trails behind the falls with us as well. Not to mention, you could save the $3 it will cost you to go through the Amicalola State Park main entrance....just wonderring is all....
  12. bman

bman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm mapping it now. I'll try to make your place.
    I remember the last time I tried to meet you guys on the road. That was close.:lol3
  13. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    Excellent! Let me know if you need better directions...my place doesn't show up on mapquest apparently..new street.
  14. Incabiker

Incabiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alright then, Im bringing my bike on up to explore the North Jawja Mountains, Yeeee hawww. Whoever lives close to me and definatley knows the way to Flux's house, if it would'nt be too much trouble, would you mind meeting up with me at your place of choice so I can follow you up there. I live in Paulding county right on the Paulding, Cobb line, close to where Mars Hill rd intersects Dallas Highway. I will fill the tank up to the brim to make sure that I have enough fuel for the trip (hopefully) I don't want to get stuck out there and become Bear fodder, or puma fodder for that matter. How many of you have seen pumas up there? There have been numerous sightings of pumas up near bear mountain by the local Mountain bikers:eek1.
    So are you guys gonna gear up with full thor gear, boots, chest protector, etc??
    I'm going to be going with a coat, jeans, worker boots, and the helmet with goggles, and gloves. I don't think I need to be going full mx gear on the ride right lol. oh well either way, thats the only gear I got, so thats the gear I have to ride in :thumb.
  15. Incabiker

Incabiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh and the reply to see amicalola falls, If none of you guys mind seeing it, I would love to go up there, I always enjoy the view up there. I have seen it many times though, so this is not necassary at all, but I'm just putting in my response. If its a better ride without the stop there, then the hell with it.
    By the way, are we taking any tight single tracks like at blankets creek South loop?? The advanced loop there? If so that will be pretty hairy:eek1. So whos bringing the cameras and whatnot? I need a couple of pictures of me swimming in a mud pit with my bike:evil.
  16. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    No pumas...seen bears a bunch of times. Pretty cool to see in person.

I ride in some Thor dual sport pants, mx boots, gloves, and an old water resistant Columbia jacket when I ride like this. I also wear a polyester layer under my clothes to help keep me warm, although it shouldn't be an issue Sunday. And a mx helmet and goggles.

I highly recommend mx boots to add to your arsenal. I have run over my own foot countless times, and I am sure I would have broken my ankle by now if I wasn't wearing them. At the very least, you ought to have waterproof boots...there are some stream crossings.

Water resistant pants are nice too, for the stream xings. You'll be ok if you take it slow, sit on the seat, and raise your legs up like a girl! :lol3 I'd buy some in the future though.
  17. bman

bman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "I'm going to be going with a coat, jeans, worker boots, and the helmet with goggles, and gloves. I don't think I need to be going full mx gear on the ride right lol. oh well either way, thats the only gear I got, so thats the gear I have to ride in ."

Thats what we do. Run what you brung. I plan on taking it easy at the rear.
    Go easy on me with the roosting.:nod
  18. megad

megad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll prolly go, what time do you plan on riding till?

I'm on a stock xr400 tank, so range isnt wonderful

anyone know where I can get a headlight protector in a pinch? I got my 200w stator and new headlight tonight, I dont want this one to break too
  19. Incabiker

Incabiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol, well, I think I'm going to be hanging out back there with you, so you will not be getting roosted all by yourself, I have to share in some of that fun too.:lol3, like I have a choice anyways. I am really looking forward to this, ya, Im surprised that I was able to find such a good riding group so quick, just 2 weeks after I bought my bike. How often do events happen like this? If it comes up often then you can probably count me in everytime if its on the weekends and I'm not slammed at work, ya :thumb.
  20. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    Riding til? Good question. Til I get bored I guess! I've got nothing to do and all day to do it in.

Don't know about a quick headlight protector...