Gaerne Balance Oiled and Balance Pro Tech Boots Review

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Brtp4, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use this:

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Revivex-Leather-Spray-Water-Repellant_p_281.html

on these, and my other leather footwear (I have some Gaerne hikers also). It is really more a water repellant than leather treatment though.

Any good leather conditioner will work also. If you can find an animal oil based one, that is closest to what is used to tan the leather.

BP
  2. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    OK, I need help with sizing.

My CBT Lites and my Doc Martens 1460s are 45s.

My Merrells are 46.5s.

My Nikes are 46s.

So given that these seem to run large, do I get the US 10 (44.5) or the US 11 (46)?
  3. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Hi 05Train.

Definitely not the 10/44.5s. I think the Merrills and the Nikes are the relevant benchmarks. FWIW I am a 46 in Nikes and Merrills, and I wear the 11/46s also. I can check my Doc also later.

Hope that helps!!

BP
  4. '05Train

Oddometer:
    It does, I guess I'll give the 46s a shot.

Thanks!
  5. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't wear any of the referenced shoes, but I found the Gaerne sizing spot-on to my 12EE shoe size, and as I have wide feet and large calves, I'd say this boot is sized generously.
  6. '05Train

Oddometer:
    Ordered.

Leaving For Colorado next week, so hopefully they get here first.
  7. Turbocelica

Turbocelica Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So about six months ago I last used my Gaerne boots. On the way home from that ride I wrecked my truck into a rock wall. and jacked up the suspension. So I dealt with fixing that instead of taking proper care of my boots. So now they have a light coating of dirt/mud on them that is about 6 months old.

Any advice on how to refurb them?

I'm thinking of dirt/mud removal either wet or dry followed. Dry if necessarily then fallow that with the recommended leather treatment.

Any tips for this??

Thanks,
    Justin
  8. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    If the mud is dry, get a nylon brush and brush it off. That's all. Once that is done, use something like this, which is recommended by Gore:

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Revivex-Leather-Spray-Water-Repellant_p_281.html

Hope that helps.

BP
  9. '05Train

Oddometer:
    Big shout-out to Atomic Moto. Got a call from Brian today about my order to let me know he couldn't get my boots to me before I left on my trip. Turns out, I'm a dumbass and I'm not leaving until the following Friday. Boots are coming, and Brian's call insures that I'll be an Atomic customer for life.

Thanks man!
  10. Turbocelica

Turbocelica Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!!! I'll give that stuff a try. Hopefully I can find it locally and be able to apply this weekend.
    I know where to go for new boots when these give up on me, (due to neglect) but they are roughly 15 years old so far!
    Justin
  11. '05Train

Oddometer:
    The boots showed up today. The fit is perfect and photos don't do them justice.

Thanks!
  12. tokendog

tokendog n00b

Oddometer:
    Oh man...

I just returned a set of Gaerne G-Midlands after ordering them from Atomic Moto (Fantastic service btw) because I'm a size 11.5 and the Midlands were too tight (ordered a size 11).

I decided to go with the Oiled Balance because of the reputation for comfort and fit, but I went with a size 12 due to the experience with the Midland.

Now I read the Oiled Balance are truer to fit and may be too big... I'm hoping I am lucky and the fit is spot on! I really want to try them out in the field. :(
  13. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Quick video review of the Gaerne Balance Oiled Boots. Little rough at this still, but hopefully the info is good:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4pxsmeyvQ3o" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

More at www.atomic-moto.com/balance_oiled.

BP
  14. '05Train

Oddometer:
    I just rode 5,400 miles in 11 days in these boots. They arrived on Wednesday evening, I tried them on to make sure they fit, took them off to sleep, then wore them every waking moment for the next 11 days. I literally lived in them. I rode, I hiked, I ate.......seriously, the only time they weren't on my feet I was either in bed or the shower.

These boots flat-out rock. They're absolutely waterproof, and kept me comfortable in weather from the low 40s to over 105. They offer plenty of support when standing on the pegs. They don't create any weird pressure points. They go on and off easily.

The only criticisms I can offer are that the buckles are a little fiddly and an extra piece of leather for the shifter would be nice.

Atomic Moto was a pleasure to deal with, and I'd buy from them again.

[​IMG]
  15. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is my only criticism as well. The buckles have nothing to keep them positively in the same notches, so each time I put them on, there is some adjustment req'd to get them properly tensioned. I'd prefer to set it and forget it.

I never thought I'd find riding boots this comfortable.
  16. brainfreeze

brainfreeze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really like the Balanced oils as well. Also looking at the TCX Infinity with Gore Tex liner but there are no dealers in my area in Texas to look at pair. Anyone know if the Infinity with Goretex will be cooler than the Balanced oil with Drytech?? Or, are all boots of this type about the same in the heat?
  17. Dallara

Dallara Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer:

I live in South Texas - Corpus Christi to be exact - and I wear my Gaerne Oiled Balance boots on every single ride now, and that's almost every single day. As you know it's been ***HOT*** down here lately (we hit a record 105 the other day, and inland on a ride I saw 107), and my feet have as cool as cucumber. No problems.

In fact, I'd almost be willing to swear the Oiled Balance boots are actually cooler to wear than the AXO and Vendramini *VENTED* mesh boots I used to wear in the summer months. Those boots have remained on the shelf since I got the Gaerne boots, as have the Kochmann boots and any other brand I've collected over the decades of riding. I haven't done winter with the Gaerne boots yet but no doubt in cold weather they'll be better than anything else I've got.

Don't ask me why they're cooler, but wear 'em with a pair of UnderArmour Heatgear socks and you'll be comfy as is possible even in scorching temperatures.

Just my two centavos... YMMV, of course.

Dallara

~
  18. brainfreeze

brainfreeze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for reply. They just seemed warm when I tried the on but were "broken in " comfortable. Want an all weather boot, not just a cool weather boot. Sounds like they work fine in our Texas weather.
  19. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wore my oiled on a 3-1/2 hour ride yesterday. Wasn't Texas hot, around 90 deg F, and the best comment I can offer is that I never once thought about my feet in my Gaerne Balanced boots.

Over-calf socks are a must though, else calves get sticky. I like Fox Racing Coolmax socks underneath.
  20. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The boots are absolutely awesome. I'm diabetic. As such I really take care of my feet. It's important that shoes and boots fit without binding, pinching or over tightness. Sizing is spot on in these boots. I wear a size 9 US/43 Euro. They were dead on. The toe box is big enough so your toes aren't all scrunched up.

Putting these boots on for the first time yesterday was as if I had worn them for a dozen trips. In a word they are comfy. The build quality is outstanding with large leather cuts that allow the manufacturer to keep seams to a minimum making them more comfortable. They are oiled leather with a waterproof and breathable lining. They have outstanding ankle support and don't bind at the top of the boot either. I have 20" diameter calves and they fit fine with lots of adjustment left.

To be clear, I am not associated with the vender but, I bought them from Atomic Moto. The guys at A.M. took a lot of time with me on the phone to insure that they referred me to the best boot for my situation. I couldn't be happier with them.

Now all I need is to find some Nikwax to keep them in good condition.