DR750 & DR800 owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MCmad, Jul 14, 2008.

1. d33t

d33t Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello again) Thanks to all!

Ladder106, you are right, it is really difficult to writing on non native language especially when really have not practice at all (i studied english at school and university but forget it quickly :cry) Now my writings is combined from my memory and what translator advises :)

nave, at now dr is fully disassembled and i can't post any intresting photos but later i'll do this :)

800rider, I'm from central region of Russia, about 300km to north from Moscow. It's a little difficult for me with my level of english to write such complex thing as "what is it like living there" :) But i can try to answer on questions if it is really intresting to you or somebody else. And if the short - this is my motherland and i love it (she?) :)

And little more photo of my DR, a more "live" as i think, but with poor quality, sorry:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Another way to lose weight easy is to use the 750 as the base bike, they are measured as weighing 15kg less than the 800 that extra pork is not an issue for road use but proper off-road very defiantly, I shouldn't say without weighing the bike but think the 750 may be down to about 175kgs by just stripping a few bits off and its noticeable lighter than the 800 and the 950ADV.

Regards little naves bike, that's awesome and it looks like he has spent truckloads on it :tb

Cool to see the foot-down riding style which IMHO is how they ought to be ridden,
    A couple of old favourites
    [​IMG]
    Out of interest the 800 is best bike I've ever rider for balance on gravel where weight didn't seem to matter (and much better than 950ADV which just wants to bite you like a rabid dog :huh)
    [​IMG]
  3. nave

nave Nave

Oddometer:
    Hi 800rider,
    if you plan on small mudifiction then the 750 is a better choice, but if you strip the bike down as i did, then the original higher wiegh of the 800 does not metter.
    when you use only the engine and frame the 750 and 800 are the same... but the 800 frame is stronger.
    the only resone i don't make my 800 look like a 750 is becouse i want to keep the the light wiegh DR650 acerbis gas tank.
    i wish there was a plastic feul tank design for the 750.
  4. kyle

kyle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:claplittle nave's mod of the gs screen is just BRILLIANT:clap:clap:clap
  5. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Yer I think the 750 is a Nave cheater bike for the lazy :D

as much as I'd love to peel another 5-10 kgs of the old girl I want to keep the look and you just cant buy the looks I get from people at the dirt bike park when they say "are you really going to ride that thing here:eek1 " priceless :lol3
    [​IMG]
  6. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    d, I recon your spelling and grammar is better than mine so so carry on

I know what its like to have to do things in a second language as when I was younger I lived in Brazil for 6 months and didnt think anyone understood but they mostly seemed to which may be how you feel also, but there no better way to learn than to just do it, your comments are point in case

Remember we what to see more of Russia so get those picture skills honed up please :thumb

infact was thinking it would be cool if we all could add a bit of culture and shows some pics we think are distinct to were we live (or there abouts
  7. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    А на ДР800.ру не регился еще? :) Заходи
  8. Resi

Resi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regarding to losing DRs weight:

As long as my belly rubs on the gas tanks the bike isn't too heavy :evil :lol3

@800rider: Yeah, some background info's of the riders area would be great, I love to take a look over the rim of a tea cup (or rather a bottleneck instead of)

Cheers,
    Lars
  9. d33t

d33t Adventurer

Oddometer:
    800rider: "...and shows some pics we think are distinct to were we live..." - here some "culture" photo as i think (sorry, but they without DR and you can see all of them through previous photos by clicking on it and traversing through album, only problem - is interface as i think). A little tip: if you click on photo, on it's page you can see label like "В другом размере", this is picture size changing link.

Some typical old city (about 900 years old). The city is Vologda (for those who want to find it on the map)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sometime you can see something like that (it's me on photo :) )
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

here different roadside views:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it's not offroad, it's normal roads :D:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and some misc photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope that i understood you correctly and you want to see such kind of photos. Anyway may be it can be intresting for somebody and i'm sorry if they not "fit" to thread theme
  10. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nave, sorry guy, your mis-typing is just so great: mudification! You made my day! :rofl
    Isn't this, what we do to our Bigs from time to time: cover it with mud.

I'm going to spend tomorrow at Stefan Hessler's training. He will tell and show us some wizzardry concerning service and repair of our Bigs. I'll meet about 25 or 30 friends from our German forum there, including Resi. Plus: I think (know!) we'll do some fast training-laps in the 500 cc-class this evening ... :freaky
    Kind regards, Bambi
  11. jabroka

jabroka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice swingarm!

I dont recognize it.. do you know which bike did it came from?

12. Resi

Resi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it's selfmade, isn't it?

@Bambi: 500cc weiss beer class, eh?

Semi-professional or top-fuel?? :freaky

SCNR,
    LarS

BTW: I'll come in tomorrow early morning, I don't like german autobahn on friday rush hour ;)
  13. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was just about to ask same question :) it looks suspiciously custom :(
  14. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    That would be a Dream-Ride for me.

Envious

Please take the time to photograph and share what you learn...yes, even the little stuff.
  15. Resi

Resi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ray,

I'll do so ;) I'm one of the invited ones, so there will be enough paparazzi-time for me :wink:

Cheers,
    Lars
  16. d33t

d33t Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Resi, sorry if I'm wrong, but I think that it's from you i bought the header is not so long ago? For SR43
  17. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that, you can only have so many shots of Bigs and I'd encourage others to show some Hometown shots
  18. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    I shall see what I can find, usely I have my hands full trying to just hang on to Mr Big in there (my freinds call it whale and keep well away incase they get crushed :lol3) so not many picture of actual trails
    [​IMG]

Will post bits as I find them
    OK this is the car park and no I didn't ride KT around there (I may be a little crazy but I'm not that stupid:lol3)
    [​IMG]
    Its a big pine forest so reasonably sheltered
    [​IMG]
    You just feel away from it all when you pull up here even though its only 45min from the city centre
    [​IMG]
    A great playground even for the young,
    [​IMG]

I've been going here for over 30 years now (they move it every 5 years or so around the forest) and it is ridable all year round and often better in the winter as the sand packs down,. I have taken vidio while riding the Big around here but camera was not high enough so you would get sick if I published it (will have to try again) The DR will do the more open tracks and is a match for the motorcrossers there but the tighter stuff requires a 70kg weight reduction and my YZ290F is the tool for those

Park promotional Video
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m39V8IYdoUU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The DR would be able to do the section below with a new rear nobblie tire, the last 30sec of this video is one of my favourite parts and I'm guessing I've travelled it 100s of time reaching speeds of around 100kph on a brave day :knary
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/t-rcUU2vFQI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Kovac77 likes this.
  19. Resi

Resi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're right, mate :)

Cheers,
    Lars
  20. nave

nave Nave

Oddometer:
    We have a crazy winter over here... so much mud... i'm too chicken to even try... It's better to sit next to the stove
    as for mistyping- try to read the posts with the accent of the writer:evil when i read steffans e-mail i can't aviod it:lol3

great weekend all!