VENTURING SOUTH on DRZ's

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Romanousky, Jan 9, 2013.

1. ukturfrocks

ukturfrocks Been here awhile

Oddometer:

She has trouble understanding how easy it is roaming around living in a tent and hostels. plus she sees some of the pictures posted and thinks owww that's dangerous. I thinking hear what you have seen and heard is the best advice she will have.

We are going to Beaverton or to visit her family. Leaving the 4th of june and roaming around glacier national park. Then to Beaverton and off to olyimpic national park. Its going to be her first exp without technology. shoot em a pm when your getting home would love to chat it up.
  2. Romanousky

Romanousky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Al caught up with the internet and I went for a bit of a stroll around town. Found some fishing poles at a camping store for a couple bucks a piece and noted the location of a few supermarkets for future use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found this badboy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Loaded up we checked out the Municipal camping (which is located in a central park with a fence around it in town) which was not looking too good so we headed just to the outskirts to El Eucaliptal. This is a campground/cabana/fishing tour “resort”. Or so I read on their website but I wouldn’t pay to do a fishing trip here. This is a Eucalyptus forest right on the river bank so a little heavy on the bugs (beetles & mosquitoes) but it suited us nicely for some fishing and drinking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were the only campers there so after we setup or stuff we grabbed a pack of hot dogs, some beers, and headed for the river bank. Only took Al about 10 mintues to land this thing….no idea what it is or if it was edible so we released it. Figured that after that quick snatch we’d be catching them left and right and would wait for the monster to cook. Needless to say that a few hours later we had caught nothing more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sprocket is looking rough:

[​IMG]

We were finally sitting at a campsite before noon with everything set up, a fire going, and nothing to do. For some reason I was really really wanting this on the trip. I love sitting in a lawn chair around a fire up in Oregon but I must admit that that only happens when there is a break from work. Now I felt absolute boredom and really wanted to get back on the road. So now I’m a bit concerned because we are only 2 days ride from Buenos Aires and have about 7 days to kill.

To kill boredom we went to town for steaks and whiskey….surely this will solve the problem. Sure enough things livened up with Al dancing to country music singing in a terrible voice while I built him a cupcake that he can light himself after dinner.

[​IMG]

Always making new friends in Argentina:

[​IMG]

Decent sunset:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Built a nice hot pile of coals and fired the steaks. They were not as good as I was hoping but the canned pears were not too shabby at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Proper silverware; stick & leatherman:

[​IMG]

With the excitement coming to an end we decided to test a blasting cap and fuse under water. We had to make sure these things worked before we went and lost our dynamite to the river bottom. Sure enough it worked just fine. An hour later we decided that just 1/3rd stick should be lit off just to test things a little more. It worked, stunned/killed two fish, they were small and it was dark but now we know we have a product worthy of the water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We only have 2 sticks left and some AN so we figure we better do it all at once in an attempt to get some big guys. I’ve done a LOT of fishing with explosives and it works fantastic….problem is you have to know where the fish are before you just chuck something in there. This could be a problem so I hope I don’t let you down if nothing floats to the top.
  3. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    You look like a maniac! :rofl
  4. Romanousky

Oddometer:
    HOOOOORRRRAYYYYY!!! We are getting back on the road again today. Not feeling my best this morning we lounged around until noon before getting on the road for our short 100 mile ride to the town of Parana.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boring straight roads but I can see that we are departing the back country marshes and entering the rural farmlands with lots of combines and tractors at work. I love watching farming in action. Takes me back to my roots I guess.
    Parana is a lovely city. Large riverfront with lots of spandex jogging, jiggling, and bouncing down the boardwalk. Seriously though, a very nice town. Wifi in all the central parks so you can just stop on the side of the road, bust out your smartphone, and locate some hostels. Every single hostel in town was booked full except for one that was 400 pesos (about $90 USD). The hotels were even more expensive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neat old abandoned building down by the docks:

[​IMG]

Strange bridge full of small cables and turnbuckles and such:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a few hours we gave it up and headed through the subfluvial tunnel under the Parana River and over to Santa Fe. This town is a little less “high end” but there aren’t any hostels anywhere. The internet says there are, but showing up at the addresses proved otherwise. We even looked for camping and a few people pointed us in different direction in a pursuit that ended fruitless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally we had to stop and eat dinner and just relax a bit after checking 10 hotels. Had a burger and a nice dark beer that was just called “Cerveza Negro”. It was light like coors light but dark black and packed full of flavor. Never had anything like it, rather impressed. Good work Argentina. The waiter was so enamored with our trip and our bikes that before we got out of the door he gave us a free bottle of red wine. Nice dude.

Another 10 hotels later and we finally decided to take the one that smelled like cat piss, didn’t have a bathroom, and was located in a very eerie building. They had garage but it was full of cars. The guy said if the motos won’t fit between the car and truck there so you can push them to the back then you can’t stay here because they are leaving really early. Well, the gap was about 18” and I don’t have a Chinese scooter so that wasn’t happening. Thus we ended up paying about $70 for a room in a decent hotel….Damn!!
  5. Romanousky

Oddometer:
    I won't argue with that....it was a long night:freaky
  6. Romanousky

Oddometer:
    Back on the road! Headed to Rosario. New Socks & Undies today!!!!!!! You know you are on an adventure when there is this much excitement about a fresh pair of nut huggers.

What I believe to be my last fill up on the trip:

[​IMG]

Got lost and found our way through some corn fields:

[​IMG]

Ran down a train and smashed some more coins:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Short drive to Rosario and we check the first camping spot. This is where I realized that “camping” means something completely different in Argentina. It is equivalent to “picnicking” in the states. Lots of camping spots close in the evening and you can’t actually pitch a tent and spend the night. So we continue on into the city and check out some hostels. First, everything is booked for this evening and on top of that it is all quite expensive. Back to the city fringes where we finally find a campspot that neither of us are pleased with and they still want $20 USD to let us stay.

Neat bridge in the background:

[​IMG]

Crossing said bridge looking for the campground on the otherside:

[​IMG]

Turns out that the campground is only accessible by boat :eek1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Screw this, it is already dark and we hop back on the freeway. Grab a little fuel and talking to the ladies inside they want us to camp for free right here at the gas station. It looks decent enough but they are open 24 hours and we figure drinking and screwing around might get us into some problems in the middle of town. It is also in a somewhat shady area so the call to push on grips us and off we fly.

[​IMG]

Stop for a break and some internet at a McDonald's:

[​IMG]

Pounding down the highway with a headlight that doesn’t illuminate more than 10’ in front of me. Object, don’t hit anything large or round. So for 30 miles I stare straight off the end of my front fender and eventually we safely pull into San Nicolas. Famous for all the Virgen Mary apparitions that have been sighted. No luck with camping so we settle for an overpriced hotel. This is really hurting the budget so tonight’s goal will be to find a decent place to post up before we have to enter B.A.

At this rate I could be in TDF and back just in time for my flight.
  7. Toiretto

Toiretto Getting into it!

Oddometer:
    What a great journey! Thank you for sharing. Keep posting please.
  8. nmtrialsguy

nmtrialsguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh No:eek1 It just cant be true! I took a poll:deal: we decided you should just turn around and go north. Venturing North on DRZ's has a certain ring to it!

It has been a pleasure to tag along on the ride, thanks tons for the great posts, pictures and DYNOMITE!:clap

If in NM...:1drink
  9. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Hot Dogs and Mc Garbage in Argentina? You guys are real Yankees, no? :lol3
    When you get into slightly larger towns check out the Churascurrias. Treat yourselves. (don't worry, tipping is optional) The Steak you want is "Bife de Chorizo".

Also, don't neglect the fantastic Italian food. Won't be in an Italian restaurant necessarily, but lots of Italian food everywhere, Pizza too.
    And, as you found out ... good Coffee everywhere.
    They have "Cafe" or "Cafecito" (Espresso in Demi tass cup)
    and my favorite ... "Cafe Cortado" (literally Cut Coffee, like Capucino)
    The huge Cafes in B.A. are something to see. Hundreds show up at 11 am break. One Cafe I frequented had 5 or 6 Espresso machines, each with six pull handles. This is truly "Espress" Coffee. No Waiting.

In the mood for Seafood? In Buenos Aires try Mejellones Provincales
    (Provance style Mussels) These are served with the Mussels covered in
    White Wine, Garlic and Butter. Be sure to get to know Chimi Churri.
    As Basil vinaigrette condiment. Sabrosa, good with Steak.

Since you guys killed it on the exchange rate ... should not be too expensive. Shop around more for Hotels. Got to be better deals. Don't be shy to make low offers on rooms. (politely, of course :D )
  10. Ricky Chuck

Ricky Chuck She's heavy but I love her

Oddometer:
    When you stop and realize these guys have been doing this for over FOUR months, coming on five...you just sort of stare at the wall, assuring yourself you could have cut it when you were their age, lol :bow

Of course, I was married by then, so I would be single now ROFL.
  11. tjzondrz

tjzondrz Non-Nefarious

Oddometer:
    :freaky
    Man,I'll tell you guy's.I'm envious as all hell.Way to go.I'm in the process of gearing up my DRZ for some weekend trips,and hopefully maybe a week long trip this year.I own a home on a few acres and live alone,and also have a job that requires a lot of my time.That being said,I don't have a lot of free time.But it sure was great living your trip with the two of you young men.
    Thanks for the ride report,and stay safe out there.
  12. Ricky Chuck

Oddometer:
    I ate tacos with some fellow Oklahoma City riders this evening, and we talked a lot about the DRZ...couple guys had them and I was picking their brains, because for some reason (ironic smirk) I have become obsessed with getting either a DRZ or DR650, and I'm leaning toward a DRZ, if I can only convince my wife I need more than one bike at a time, lol. I hope Romanouski checks in before he flies back, I need this to end well so I can use it as an underpin for getting a DRZ or DR! Dang, I'm gonna need a bigger shed now, too. It never ends...:lol3
  13. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Both are great bikes. I own a DR ... but also owned a DRZ-E and S.
    If planning more than 50% OFF ROAD .. then, IMO, the DRZ should get the call. It's better if things get knarly. For any dirt or gravel road, even ROUGH two track and some mild single track, the DR650 is fine ... if set up correctly. But in tougher, more technical stuff the DRZ is far superior.

Where the DR shines is running smooth at 80 mph for 10 hours a day carrying 80 lbs. of gear. It packs up like a Mule for long distance travel. I never liked the DRZ for highway riding. It handles OK and has better brakes than the DR650 ... but I was always ringing its neck. The DR carves the corners like a sport bike. Very capable, even if underpowered. FUN .. and with enough power to keep up with just about any bikes on a beat up, tight road.

The DRZ is nearly as fast as the DR650 right up to about 65 mph. Then the DR pulls away and keeps pulling up to close to 100 mph. The DRZ tops out at about 85 mph ... and is screaming pretty good.
    Both are strong and reliable. The DRZ has BETTER suspension and much easier to ride as a dirt bike, better in MUD, deep sand too.

With a good seat you can ride comfortably ALL DAY on the DR650. Hard choice, but be honest as to HOW you are going to use the bike. If you want a street legal dirt bike ...DRZ all the way. Travel bike? DR650.
  14. Ricky Chuck

Oddometer:
    That was very helpful, Grifter, thanks. I'd heard some of that, but was still hanging onto the youthful hope I would end up being able to become more hardcore offroadish than I was when in teens, lol. But...your description of the types of riding made me think realistically, and I think I would probably want to ride the DR to destinations and then jump off and explore off-road (not single track, unless the AndroGel kicks in ROFL), although I have friends who want to trailer the bikes to places and then ride. They are older, sniff. That goes against my nature for the past 38 years, but if I can figure that point out I will be able to decide. I need a spot bonus or something soon so I can just buy something and not worry about moving my current bike :lol3

Cmon, Andrew, hope you aren't in a jamb somewhere!
  15. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Adv Grifter nailed it with that one...Exactly!
  16. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    so DO both? :D (sorry)

[​IMG]
  17. Ricky Chuck

Oddometer:
    NO TAUNTING, Romanouski has my brain jellied enough already! :D

Your DR is nice!
  18. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Must be something in the water in Albany OR. a middle school student was just arrested in Albany with bombs and plans to bomb his school, you might want to not post about some of your activites.
  19. Ricky Chuck

Oddometer:
    Well, in an attempt to counter any bad mojo going on in Albany while these guys are down there fighting dragons and letting us all live vicariously in their gasoline-soaked boots, I started a Fan Club and Testimonial thread so we could properly show our appreciation for these dudes :lol3

Romanouski, I'd get you a job if we had a location in Oregon, lol. Ever thought about relocating to Cupertino? :evil

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21522713#post21522713
  20. taranaki

taranaki bon vivant

Oddometer:
    On the anxious side here with no word from our good men for a couple of days. I'm guessing that they're winding down and will get back to us when they're ready.

Trust the process. :deal