Any Honda Dominator NX650 owners out there ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KeithDommirider, Jul 31, 2007.

1. mikejohn

mikejohn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey all,, what are the pros/cons of using CRF 450 forks and CR 500 shock? i am planing to lace up 17" rims as well 3.50/ 4.25 also what size flat slide carb works the best?:ear:ear:ear
  2. outback96

outback96 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I need your help!

After spending the winter months not being ridden, my NX sat, only having me start it every so often to keep the battery fresh. The other day I put my volt meter to the battery and found that the battery had in fact died. I quickly put it on the charger...waited for about an hour...went out and the bike started. Now while it was not the smoothest start the bike has ever had, it did start. I decided to leave the charge in play for the rest of the day. Went back out the following day to see where we were at. Battery reading fine on the volt meter...unhooked the charger, turned the key, pressed the start button, and...it acted like it had not been on the charger at all. After disconnecting the battery and just having the charger hooked up, still the bike would not turn over. All the it would do is cause the starter solenoid to "tap". So, I thought it must be the starter solenoid, right? after replacing the solenoid, I now have no lights and the battery only reading a "good" rating on the meter. However, when I turn the key to the "on" position, it kills the battery and I have no meter readings past the starter solenoid. However, if I put the charger back on it, turn the key, all electronics work. Head light, turn signals, horn. But won't turn over, sounds like the battery is not charged enough, can't get the starter to turn over at all, not enough power.

So, I know that that was a really long explanation and if you can help me figure this out, that would be great! Thanks for y'alls help.
  3. HeadTrauma

HeadTrauma ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oddometer:
    Let the battery sit without any charge assistance for a few hours and then test it with a voltmeter. Report back.
  4. madart

madart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think your battery may be dead.
    Measure the voltage on battery when pressing start button. If drops to 9V or something it's dead.
    Mine did similar about two weeks ago.
    And by
    do you mean you ride it or just start and let it idle? Battery need to charged maybe once per month but by charger not by idling on bike.
  5. THORNRIDER

THORNRIDER 212°

Oddometer:
    The key to battery life is a tender. Low cost great investment. I use it 24/7/365 on all bikes.

6. outback96

outback96 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I believe that its the battery. Thanks for the help and troubleshooting.
  7. fast*st

fast*st Dirt rookie.

Oddometer:
    Nixie sat for an entire month this winter without being ridden, how awful! Of course I had to move snow that was packed and 3 feet deep to get it away from the barn but still it was a good day for a ride. When parking for extended times, I drain the carb, let it run dry, seems to stave off the carb getting filled with junk. Melting snow is a good sign!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Cigar Mike

Cigar Mike Too Old and Too Slow Supporter

Oddometer:
    If anyone may be interested. I just about have the centerstand completed for this model. I fit one today and everything was good. I am going to make a few changes to make it better though. Information will be in the vendors thread below when it is available.

Mike
  9. mikejohn

mikejohn Long timer

Oddometer:
    That frame bottom help out?:ear
  10. Cigar Mike

Oddometer:
    It was an enormous help. It makes reproducing the stand accurately very simple. Knowing that the fit is perfect really helps.

Many thanks.:clap

Mike
  11. Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Thanks for supporting us NX650 riders! Its not every day new parts come out for our rides :clap
  12. switch

switch Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer:
    Any pics of the centerstand? :lurk
  13. MotoMarkus

MotoMarkus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice!
    Spring feels so far away for me right now, this morning we had -29C and there's about 1m of snow.
  14. marcuss

marcuss Mahout

Oddometer:
    Same thing here in Oslo. Good thing is it leaves plenty of time for tinkering with your dommie :-)

Just finished putting the bike back together after having replaced the starter clutch and other various bits. Now the engine actually turns when i press the starter button:clap Might come in handy in the spring when the bike stalls coming into every traffic light
  15. Cigar Mike

Oddometer:
    Not of a completed stand. These pictures show how it will attach to the frame. It takes about a minute to install. The legs shown below are from an XR650L. The legs will be much shorter for the NX.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once I get a stand completed I will post a couple. I will get a few of the stand on a bike also.

Mike
  16. Claytonroy

Claytonroy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just picked up an '88 NX650...it's set up with Bridgestone Trail Wings.

I'm shopping for some new treads suited to 80% street 20% dirt (and by dirt, I mean nothing overly technical and I'm not looking for mud performance).

I'd prefer to stick with a major name brand like Bridgestone, Metzler, Michelin, etc. Anyone care to point me towards a few options to consider?

Thanks in advance for the input!

:ear :D
  17. Pablo83

Pablo83 Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer:
    Avon Distanzia's are great tires unless you think you'll ever have to get over a wet log. I'm running one in the rear and I like it. If you want something more aggressive, the Continental TKC 80 gets good reviews.
  18. Claytonroy

Oddometer:
    Thanks pablo83, the Avon's look like a potential choice for my intended use.

I'm generally willing to pay more for a quality tire...sure cheap tires have their place in the market, but based on my experience with their bicycle tires, I'd never buy Cheng Shins.

But what about the Shinko 705 Dual Sport Tires? The reviews are overwhelmingly positive & the price looks good. Maybe worth a try at that price (about $100 for the set shipped).
  19. Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a pair of the Shinkos on my NX when I bought it. They worked pretty good as a 50-50 tire before I went to the D606 and Metzler Karoo. I remember the Shinkos being pretty noisy, maybe even more than a real knobbie.
  20. Claytonroy

Oddometer:
    I ordered a set of the Shinko's today. Hell, at $96.52 for the pair shipped I couldn't pass them up.

I'll report back after I mount 'em up & test them both on & off the pavement.

:muutt