Vintage MX, vintage body and bike

Discussion in 'Racing' started by pvangel, Mar 24, 2011.

1. theDoktor

theDoktor Husky Racer

Oddometer:
    Very interesting. Worst case would be justification to ride the Wee there to spectate &/or work the event.
  2. ADK

ADK .

Oddometer:
    You're right in the middle of CNYMRA, but they don't do vintage. Royal Mtn does Wed night races, but again, no vintage. :deal
  3. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    The Unadilla weekend would have to be looked at as a fun ride and to say you have ridden the track, I would love to go but it will probably cost twice as much to race (ride) and there will be three times as much standing around (not that that would be a bad thing there). If I have the time and $ I will go...not looking good right now.

Instead of restoring a bike this winter have been busy building this so I can stay at track in comfort, started as a stripped Haulmark 6x12.

[​IMG]
  4. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    lookin good Phil
  5. AJxr

AJxr #395

Oddometer:
    wow! definitely utilized some space in that 6x12
  6. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
  7. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    I told my wife "I'm 52 years old I can do what I want" she said "Yes dear you can but your 53" Dohhh!

The first race of the season got pushed back(thank dog) to April 12-13th so I still have time to get in shape and get the bikes set....maybe not?

I spent all winter on the luxury liner toy hauler build and haven't touched a bike (or a piece of exercise equipment) and the aging and over weight ACR card girl just walked across the starting gate holding up a 2min. board, I gotta get to work....53? I need to look into that.

So the new trailer did come out nice, started like this.

[​IMG]

And now looks like this,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fold down beds,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Assorted bling.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm excited to get started on the season!
  8. Tbone

Tbone off-ramp slayer

Oddometer:
    Looking good!
  9. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
  10. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Dammmm,I am a full believer in the reality of this post,Ive got friends who have bought into the whole work-a-day high tech field and are working themselves to nubs,sometimes sleeping next to their desks and working 6 or 7 days a week.
    They assure me of their stock options and good $ they're making.

Life is simply too short and can be too much fun to burn it off at a desk or doing paperwork and stressing full time about "keeping up"

Im with you on the 2 stroke thing,I raced flattrack back in the 70's along with some MX and scrambles,about 10 years worth.

We have some great ultra technical singletrack here in nor cal and my KTM200 is the bomb,Ive tried clunky 4 strokes and have been disapointed each time.
    2 stroke is lighter quicker turns better easier to work on and cheaper to work on,and I like the sound and the snap of them.Ive always trail ridden,55 now and no way to give it up,it keeps me going.

I look at the money guys spend to race a 4 stroke and its ridiculous,what kid can come up with 1000.00 or 2000.00 for a rebuild?
    Then its the worry about putting too many hours on the "special" race engine,and usually not racing for money,just fun.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Id like to get out on a good 1/4 mile cushion track again,I love sliding!

Great thread.
  11. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Hah! Ive found that to be the case many times,body hurts,lower back is yiping,then I say screw it and go for a hard trailride,maybe throw in some awkward crashes and dragging of the bike up cliffs.......

Voilah! Its like a really fun trip to the chiropracter,loosens things right up,relieves stress and I sleep like a baby that night.

Its the sitting still that will get you,gotta keep it on the pipe.
  12. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I smacked a cow at 55mph out in Nevada last year,launched me 60 feet down the dirt road with the bike tumbling along with me....pulled the bar clamp bolts out of the triple clamp with my thigh on the way over the bars.

My whole body felt like I had been worked over with a 5lb sledge,but lucky to limp away under my own power,I ended up riding 80 miles of trail the next day as it hurt too much to sit in camp.

Felt much better after the ride,Ive felt lucky ever since and have made it a point to ride dirtbikes most every weekend.
  13. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    My back hurts, my knees don't work I rode today and felt like I had never ridden before.

I showed up early to grade the track at the country club on a track that I hated in the previous two rides, all SX with gatorbacks before the jumps, whoops between the jumps, HUGE doubles that I couldn't do, it was way beyond me and I sucked...

Table,4 whoops, 40' uphill table,

[​IMG]

There were sections I could not do, gatorback to a 20' double...nope, EASY 30' blind double, nope I was a pussy, I couldn't do anything on the track.

I tackled the gatorback 20' double first and after casing it multiple times I cleared the sand from my vagina and pined it over the 3 whoops in front of the double and made it....ok next.

Double, triple, table, triple(quad but not for me, remember I am a pussy)on the front straight and I finally get it.

Now there is that EASY blind double in the middle of the track that I just would not do, I went in for water and one of my riding buddies said he did it and just roll it on in 3rd gear and you will clear it no problem and I told him I would by the end of the day... after I said that I mustered up what little testosterone I had and hit it first lap...Whoo hoo! SO FRIGGEN easy once you do it.

I finally had done every jump on the track and could get some rhythm going and it all came together, only took 3 days but I felt great by the end of the day.

Now if I could only get out of my Lazyboy and get to bed.. 1st race is next weekend
  14. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
  15. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kenny! I feel it was a personal triumph today which is a very cool thing.

Lets talk bikes...
    In the last 6 or so years I have ridden/raced a KTM 525,250f,144,150. Honda CRF 450 (2) 250f's, RMZ 250f, Kawasaki 250f KX250, And now a 2011 YZ 125 which I have had for 2+ years now. ( a record for me:D)

[​IMG]

I have been thinking about getting another 250f or maybe a 250 2 stroke but then I ride that YZ and it is just the most amazing bike I have ever been on, it is light,it has the best (it's still stock) suspension of any bike I have ever ridden, steers inside or outside whichever you want, braking bumps I don't feel them(ALL my KTM's sucked here even after revalves), headshake is non existent. So it's only a 125 and down on power?

One of the 18 year old kids we ride with rides a KX 450 which is always a HP bike, we just happen to go through the section that is in the picture above and hit the table at the same time and dragged race over the next set of whoops, uphill table and the straightaway after that and I have to say he maybe got a bike length on me by the end but I out braked him at the end so we were even.

I have 65 HRS on my YZ and have done 2 pistons and rings(about $100 each) 1 set of chain and sprockets, I had the oil changed in fork and shocks, 4 sets of tires and probably 6 sets of grips (I'm tough on grips)

I love my YZ and for now will not switch!

[​IMG]
  16. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    That yz's a sweet ride!
  17. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    On a side note, Took the family to their first MX race today. My daughter has since instructed me to prep the bike and get her to an open practice day... :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Of course I will have to race too :lol3:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky
  18. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I tried a 2005 YZ125 out on a friends private 110 acre tight woods singletrack loop,it was obvious from the 1st corner that it was a cheater bike,so light yet felt lighter then it really is,if that's possible.
    And so much fun to pin it and click through the gears! The thing just wails and loves to scream,and stops on a dime.

Im thinking Id like to try one on our ultra tech singletrack trails in the local mountains,lotsa real tight turns and vertical stuff.
  19. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:

Well it's about time we got you outa the woods. There's a CRF150 in the garage any time she wants to borrow it. Maybe Rocky Hill one weekend?
  20. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:

It is a cheater bike Footdragger...don't let it get out though:lol3