One more for the cheap seats....Scram-ster!

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Ginger Beard, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

:lol3 Then you will have a great place to stand when you are on REALLY steep descents. :D
  2. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    To anyone watching this thread I apologize for the pace thus far. The build should be picking up some steam soon. I just got in a pile of parts that I have been waiting for. :freaky
  3. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:evil
  4. JimmyTheHog

JimmyTheHog Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is that a Storz tracker rear hub in the picture? Last I checked, the supplier that Storz had making these for them went out of business, so you couldn't get them new from Storz.
  5. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

As far as I know it is a factory HD part. I love the Storz parts but unless I rob a bank they are a bit out of budget. :lol3 Unless you know of a bank giving money away....Please tell me you know of a bank giving away money. :(:
  6. montesa_vr

montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

Oddometer:
    Carry on, Ginger Beard, I'll be cheering for you. In the fall of 1969, when Then Came Bronson was a Wednesday night favorite on NBC, Cycle Guide released a road test of the Sportster. The test unit had that huge boat tailed fiberglass seat/fender combination, which wasn't very stylish, but the seat was as long and flat as an ironing board. Anyway, the part of the test that stuck in my mind was when they took it off the pavement:
    We found ourselves at the bottom of a hill watching a number of other riders trying to reach the top. They could only get about half way up before bogging down. We thought it would be interesting to give the Sportster a try.

We hit the bottom of the hill at about 30 miles an hour, in third gear, and never had to shift down once. At about three-fourths of the way up we passed one poor soul trying to bulldog his motorcycle around. The expression on his face as we rocketed by was one of disbelief. If the Sportster's rear wheel hit a soft spot, you merely rolled the throttle off a bit until traction was regained and then the wick could be turned back up again. It was incredibly simple.

Of course we do not intend for a moment to mislead our readers into thinking the Sportster is a trail bike. The forks and rear shocks are not even remotely adequate for this kind of pounding. Both front and rear suspension units would top out repeatedly. At one point when the going really got rough, the metal to metal crashing sounded as though the forks were ready to fall off the machine. But they didn't, and some how or other the machine did get to the top unscathed.

From Cycle Guide, January, 1970 -- H-D Sportster -- 55 inches of masculinity
    By the time Then Came Bronson was in summer reruns I had learned enough about motorcycles to recognize Michael Parks' Sportster turning into a Hodaka going over the jumps, but I've still always wanted to do a Sportster Scrambler. Watching with great interest.
    victor441 likes this.
  7. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    montesa,

Thanks for that story. Several years ago I came across a similar story about a man that owned an early 60's Sportster. I don't recall all of the details about the story but there were several picture of the guy sliding his bike through a sandy field, climbing a steep hill and jumping the fully dressed bike (saddle bags,windshield,etc) several feet in the air. Right then and there I knew that I would build some type of dirt worthy Sportster. Hopefully I don't muck it up too badly!! :lol3
  8. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, thanks for the story. :thumb With the low rpm tractor-like torque I can just see what they related in that story, in my minds eye. :D

I too am following this thread with interest. I never "subscribe" to threads. but I do get email notifications for this one. :ear

:1drink
  9. SilverFaux

SilverFaux How the hell did I end up here?

Oddometer:
    Subbed :)
  10. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    To those of you watching this thread, I seriously apologize for the terribly slow progress. I recently had to move on short notice and it has taken me some time to find a place with a garage. I am now back up and functional (well, I have a garage..:lol3 ) and will start posting up again shortly.

One update is that my front 11.5in disc is being cut to match the Honda hub bolt pattern. Will post pics when I get it back.

In other news I have been spending some time planning out this bikes first big trip so there will be an RR once the Scramster is finished. Premature? Perhaps but if I can't ride or wrench on the damn thing, I can at least dream about it. :D

:freaky
  11. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Finally had some time to get some work done. :D

Looky what Santa brought me!!! My helper can't resist the bling!! 14.75" Works shocks!!! :clap
    [​IMG]

Good old stock HD shocks...It's been fun but you gots to go!!!
    [​IMG]

Out with the old and all that. Time to put on some new legs.
    [​IMG]

Even dogs with no legs will shun craptastic suspenders. She can't take her eyes off of the Works shocks and for good reason, they are friggin' sweeeet!!!
    [​IMG]

I rarely talk about stroke in public but I will make an exception here. Check out the stroke length on these puppies.
    [​IMG]

Holy hell, a Sportster with real ground clearance and suspension travel!! Did a bit of mocking up in order to get a feel for where I want everything.
    [​IMG]

The front brake rotor is done and I should have it in my hands by weeks end. Also I will be sending out my rear hub and rim tomorrow to be laced. I was going to do it myself since I have built a ton of wheels in the past but with my current schedule I have to pic my battles and I would rather tackle the exhaust next.

Happy fathers day to the dads reading this thread!!!

12. dpforth

dpforth no inline fours

Oddometer:
    A tube of Phil Wood grease. Must be a cyclist :wink:
  13. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Good eye. :D Bike mechanic for nearly 25 years. :freaky
  14. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Okay, so I have been working on other projects recently...Thought I would share one until I get around to updates with the Scramster.

I needed a rack to hold my MTB gear for a recent trip to NC so I figured I would make one since the ones available in the aftermarket are either super small or expensive.

For the record I tend to measure for fitment and eyeball the rest of the shit like the radius in the bends,etc. Easier to do if you have great equipment...I do not.

First bends in the 1/2 in stock. I know that solid stock is overkill for most racks but this one will eventually have a bicycle mounted to it soooo...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made some plates out of flat stock, drilled the holes and started welding...

[​IMG]

Plates all welded up

[​IMG]

Front crossbar welded..

[​IMG]

Rack all welded up, just need to test fit and tap the holed on the bike rack mounting plates.

[​IMG]

Test fitting my new rack..

[​IMG]

It fit well and is super strong. I gave it a quick rattle can job for the trip.
    [​IMG]

It held all of my gear and held up to a 2k mile trip. It's a keeper and will be getting powder coated soon. :banana
  15. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    looks sweet!
  16. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Thanks man. Trying to improve my fab skills a bit. :freaky
  17. GhostRiderFC

GhostRiderFC Just a guy who rides

Oddometer:
    Just came across this thread. Really good looking build so far. Hope you're making progress on it.

I haven't been riding as much lately. Been spending time with my dad in the Philadelphia area. He's waiting on new lungs. As soon as I get any money, I'm going to get a nice dual sport to tear up some dirt. Maybe we can meet up for another ride.

Cheers!
    CJ
  18. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Progress is slow right now but it will come together soon. I have a small ride planned for the end of September and I am hoping to take this bike.

Sorry to hear about your dad, hope all goes well man. I would love to get another ride in with you. Maybe a mid point meetup where we can ride like hooligans through the mountains? :wink:

Good to hear from you man, keep in touch!
  19. coloradogoose

coloradogoose Really?!?

Oddometer:
    I'm enjoying the build and the story behind it makes it even better. It kinda makes me want to find a sportster to do a similar thing to but anything HD is WAY overpriced here.
    I work with a few bicycle mechs from Florida who have since relocated to colder climes. Been doing it for 16 years myself. I love making people happy but the $ ain't all that great. The bicycle/motorcycle connection is an interesting one. It seems to either REALLY be there or not at all. It just depends on the person I guess.
    Anyway, thanks for the good read and I look forward to seeing the progress.
    -Mike
  20. Bert Fox

Bert Fox Casual Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed:1drink